A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 04:08:43 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phillips 66 gas station deceptively luring drivers  (Read 7003 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 10:05:06 pm »

That station was up to $3.79 Saturday afternoon.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 02:18:40 am »

quote:
Originally posted by zstyles

quote:

Quit buying ethanol.

AGREED! I have not bought gas at QT in over two months.....

Just because you're not buying it at QT doesn't mean everywhere else that doesn't explicitly mark it as pure is selling it that way.

Hell, even Sinclair stations (I have asked) are selling 5 percent ethanol.  That's better than most.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
joiei
City Father

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 07:18:52 am »

They now have stickers at each pump handle telling the customer if it is 100% or a blend and what the percentages of that blend are.  As for pricing, that station has always been a little higher in price than others in town consistently.  I know this and still go there to buy gas.  The mechanic who works there has done work on my car and has done an excellent job.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
moonovrmia
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 08:22:58 am »

Let me set you straight. On Jun 1 till Sep 15, Tulsa is required to meet 7.8 Lb. blend gas due Ozone restrictions. The remainder of the year it is 9.0lb gas. A 10% blend of ethanol takes the 7.8lb out of compliance, but there is a little hidden clause saying the use of 7.8lb gas is not mandatory. QT has been blending ethanol since last summer in their fuel. So.. what you will see is Tulsa having more Ozone day alerts  than we've seen in past years if temps are high, as the majority of all stations incld QT are blending ethanol. The state legis has mandated eff 7/1/08 all pumps must be stickered (orange) stating ethanol % blend. In the long run, you will be loosing MPG, thus filling your tanks more and in the long run, not saving anything. The ethanol hype in this country by utilizing food products, ie corn and soybean is making food prices across the nation increase (people and livestock). You can't compare the success of ethanol in Brazil (product is sugar cane).. it doesn't have a negative impact on the food chain and their base stock of crude is cheaper than the US..
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 09:45:27 am »

quote:
Originally posted by moonovrmia

Let me set you straight. On Jun 1 till Sep 15, Tulsa is required to meet 7.8 Lb. blend gas due Ozone restrictions. The remainder of the year it is 9.0lb gas. A 10% blend of ethanol takes the 7.8lb out of compliance, but there is a little hidden clause saying the use of 7.8lb gas is not mandatory. QT has been blending ethanol since last summer in their fuel. So.. what you will see is Tulsa having more Ozone day alerts  than we've seen in past years if temps are high, as the majority of all stations incld QT are blending ethanol. The state legis has mandated eff 7/1/08 all pumps must be stickered (orange) stating ethanol % blend. In the long run, you will be loosing MPG, thus filling your tanks more and in the long run, not saving anything. The ethanol hype in this country by utilizing food products, ie corn and soybean is making food prices across the nation increase (people and livestock). You can't compare the success of ethanol in Brazil (product is sugar cane).. it doesn't have a negative impact on the food chain and their base stock of crude is cheaper than the US..

That is mostly correct. The 7.8 pound gas is not a requirement yet, but has been done voluntarily. If we go on the dirty air list, it would be required.

Power is nothing till you use it.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 10:50:13 am »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

From 6's website:

INCOG's air quality expert says there is one thing is not helping Tulsa's air.  It's the ethanol blended fuel that is saving gasoline, but actually increases pollution.

"If you blend 10% ethanol into the gasoline, you increase the volatility of the gasoline and that increases emissions," said INCOG's Nancy Graham.

I was under the impression that ethanol was used for the same reason MTBE is. MTBE is definitely more mobile in groundwater should it be spilled.

As far as increased volitility increasing emissions, I'm not sure how that works on a modern fuel injected vehicle. Unless she's conflating emissions from evaporation at the pump, which could be fixed with 5 cents worth of rubber or plastic on the nozzle, with increased tailpipe pollution.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 11:59:45 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichaelThe 7.8 pound gas is not a requirement yet, but has been done voluntarily. If we go on the dirty air list, it would be required.

That's the "special blend" that comes from the Gulf of Mexico (rather than Coffeyville) right?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org