A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 05:17:11 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Coolest Small Towns in America  (Read 2315 times)
GG
Philanthropist

« on: September 07, 2010, 07:44:15 pm »

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-35617390

Medicine Park, Okla Population 385 listed.  

Say "Oklahoma" and mountains don't exactly leap to mind. Yet mountains—namely the broken granite domes of the Wichitas—are precisely why Medicine Park, about 75 miles southwest of Oklahoma City, exists. Built as a planned resort for overheated Okies, the town is a patchwork of manicured lawns, arched footbridges, and red cobblestoned lanes on the banks of Medicine Creek. "This area looks a lot more like Colorado wilderness than what you'd expect to find in Oklahoma," says Pegi Brown, 62, a longtime San Francisco resident who moved to Medicine Park with her husband, Clark. They now run the four-room Stardust Inn B&B, where "you can walk along the river past waterfalls, oaks, and pines, or hike into the Wichitas, right out your door." Each Memorial Day weekend, visitors and residents alike come out for the Red Dirt Ball, which showcases red dirt music, an indigenous mix of folk, bluegrass, and honky-tonk; the mayor himself invites acts like the Red Dirt Rangers and the Bobby Dale Band to play free open-air concerts for all to enjoy.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-4889538-medicine_park_ok_vacations-i

Trust but verify
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:36:51 am »

I've been through there twice in the last month, beautiful area and Meers, home of the famous Meersburger is nearby.  97% lean longhorn beef.

* 015.JPG (578.97 KB - downloaded 278 times.)

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:24:11 pm »

I've been through there twice in the last month, beautiful area and Meers, home of the famous Meersburger is nearby.  97% lean longhorn beef.

I've been to Meers before, long time ago, maybe 10-12 years.  Took a tour of the State for vacation one year, that was one of our scheduled stops.  

I see they now have a Meers Gold Beer.   Is it any good?  

http://www.meersstore.com/menu.html

Trust but verify
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:54:52 am »

I think Bartlesville is my favorite "Small Town" in Oklahoma. . . next to Tulsa of course!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 11:59:56 am »

I've been to Meers before, long time ago, maybe 10-12 years.  Took a tour of the State for vacation one year, that was one of our scheduled stops.  

I see they now have a Meers Gold Beer.   Is it any good?  

http://www.meersstore.com/menu.html

I didn't try the beer.  We hit it both times around 1pm on our way to Altus one time and on our way to Wichita Falls the other.  I didn't want to get sleepy on the remainder of the drive.  As well, it's brewed by Choc and I'm simply not a huge fan of their beer.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:01:21 am »

Nebraska also has alot of tiny towns out in the western parts of the state, each one has it's own personality. It'll be ruff to pick out just one Kewl Town. In Kansas they have wild towns near the western state line. Undecided

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org