A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 12:17:43 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State Senate Passes Tougher DUI Laws  (Read 23128 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2011, 03:35:13 pm »

Actually it's not random except by location but they do pull drivers over at the check points they sometimes run.

Was discussing roadblocks the other day with a coworker, and couldnt find the citation that enabled Oklahoma to comply with the Supreme Court ruling as far as announcing roadblocks, how cars are selected for scrutiny, etc.
The topic was the smartphone apps that some politicians claimed allowed drunks to bypass checkpoints, despite the departments that run them approving of the apps because they raise public awareness.

So, anyone know the procedure behind announcing roadblocks in Oklahoma? 

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2011, 05:18:00 pm »

1. The .08 is entirely arbitrary.  MADD wanted to lower the limit and got it passed.  Some people are trashed and .08 and shouldn't be driving, some shouldn't drive at .05, some should never frikken drive while others can drive just fine at .01.    The number is made up and lowered everywhere because the Federal government said so (RULE 1:  lobby the fed to force the states to comply, it's easier and cheaper).

2.  DUI laws have had much less to do with the decrease in DUI crashes than general public awareness.  I know FAR too many people that still think nothing of driving with an open container or who will INSIST on driving home loaded, even if you offer to PAY for a cab or offer them a place to crash.  That group has shrunk because of public disdain for DUI.

3. Lowering the BAC limit has zero effect on drunk driving.  If someone feels OK to drive now, with an honest personal assessment, they will feel OK if the limit is lowered to .05.   Most people pulled over for DUI are above .15.  Furthermore, cops can give you a DUI even if you are below the legal limit - no one has been let go because they seemed really drunk but werent over.   The problem isn't that the limit is too low, it's that a group of people continue to refuse to comply (in general the same people over and over, and frequently a group that doesn't fear consequences int hat they aren't insured and already lost their license).

4. Road blocks are completely and totally BS.  It ASSUMES everyone who passes by has violated the law and is therefor subject stopping and search.  The cops have no probable cause to stop people, no reasonable suspicion to search, and no excuse that gets around my constitutional right.  Even if I did nothing wrong, am not suspected of doing anything wrong, and am not accused to doing anything wring - I get stopped and searched.  How's that different than simply NOT having a 4th Amendment right?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org