A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 10:24:31 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: South Midtown?  (Read 23407 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2015, 10:39:18 am »

Back when I was a "real" midtown person, the only reason I traveled this far south was to visit my folks and to eat at India Palace, which is so good I overlook the fact that you need a visa and passport to go there.

Ha I'm the same way.  Why doesn't midtown have any good Indian food?  I also like Ri Le (wish they still had their Harvard location) and White Lion Pub.  And an occasional visit to Super Target on 71st.  Otherwise I rarely cross I-44.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2015, 12:50:59 pm »

Which doesn't make sense.  Why would uptown be between downtown and midtown?  That neighborhood is Riverview with just the part along Boston considered by some as Sobo/South Boston.

I'm not advocating changing south Tulsa's name just stating what would make the most sense if applying NYC logic to downtown-midtown-uptown naming conventions.  OKC has fairly recently renamed the area directly north of its downtown to midtown roughly around 13th St (which is a much smaller area than midtown in Tulsa) and then the commercial corridor along 23rd is uptown.  That make sense if not slightly contrived.  But uptown in Riverview is dumb.

Any area is named whatever enough people are willing to call it.
brettakins
Activist

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2015, 07:24:23 am »

Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2015, 12:18:44 pm »

West of Downtown is real, East of Downtown isn't. Even if that exists immediately outside the IDL, no one would describe locations all the way out to Memorial by the fact they are east of Downtown. Most of that area is Midtown.

Otherwise, pretty good map. I might fidget with the area where Midtown, South Tulsa, and East Tulsa converge, but that's marginal.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2015, 03:38:40 pm »

Did you create that map?  Please send to the Tulsa World.  But I agree "east of downtown" doesn't make sense.  You could possibly extend downtown's eastern boundary to Peoria but keeping it confined to the IDL seems to be pretty standard.  And just lump the area west of downtown with northwest.

Memorial is a good dividing line between midtown and east IMO, though some will disagree.  The line between east and south at 51st also makes sense since areas south of there adjacent to BA east of 169 are more south Tulsa than east.

One area that could be broken up is West Tulsa.  There is a pretty distinctive difference between the Tulsa Hills area and old Red Fork and 41st & Union.  This didn't exist 10 years ago but does now and will continue.  I would call everything south of I-44 Southwest Tulsa and keep the rest West Tulsa.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 03:46:41 pm by SXSW » Logged

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2015, 04:05:15 pm »

I would agree with that except the area west of downtown does seem to make sense. I drive the two areas regularly and though they were once a contiguous neighborhood they are now separated by the expressway. Since that separation they have evolved differently.

onward...through the fog
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2015, 04:56:52 pm »

Always thought of Sheridan as an east-west divider, but its probably more of a jagged edge.

Looks like Tulsa World art.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 10:35:14 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2015, 10:26:04 am »

I think the highways are a natural divides so I think the map is about accurate, except that the "east of downtown" doesn't make much sense to me.  I understand that there are some areas just outside the IDL that feel more like downtown than midtown, but gray areas around the boundaries are inevitable and were not talking real borders here.  And there's no way it extends to Memorial.  To me everything south of 244 and between the IDL and Memorial is midtown.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2015, 10:36:28 am »

w.imdb.com/title/tt0089360/?ref_=vi_tt_t_tt_ov_vi]w[url]w.imdb.com/title/tt0089360/?ref_=vi_tt_t_tt_ov_vi[/url]

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org