A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 09:58:09 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ONEOK Plaza Grounds Renovation  (Read 13270 times)
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 08:20:16 pm »

1987 article:  http://newsok.com/oneok-agrees-to-buy-tower/article/2010092

"Originally designed to be 52 stories, and then reduced to 37, the plans were modified to the present height of 17 floors after the building was sold during construction"

It's unclear at what point the height changed to 37 floors (before or after foundation)

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 08:59:33 pm »

1987 article:  http://newsok.com/oneok-agrees-to-buy-tower/article/2010092

"Originally designed to be 52 stories, and then reduced to 37, the plans were modified to the present height of 17 floors after the building was sold during construction"

It's unclear at what point the height changed to 37 floors (before or after foundation)

52 floors then. But it was going to be the tallest building in Oklahoma. At least until the Masons (yes the Masons) completed a new proposed 100 story Scottish Rite tower that was going to the tallest building not in Chicago or New York. That building was of course never built.  If I recall correctly it was going to be built where City Hall is now.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:01:49 pm by swake » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 09:53:17 pm »

Not a myth. Cities Service was bought out mid-construction and the building was capped and sold to Oneok. I don't think the actual height was 60 floors when construction started, I think it had already been lowered to 35-40 floors, I don't remember exactly, but I do remember it happening.

Now, could you really feasibly add the additional height on, I don't know. 

I thought the Cities Service building was the one that sold to Occidental Petroleum to the south of OneOk.

Ooops, wait.  Figured I'd double check that.  According to someone who posted this on Wiki, you'd be correct.  Read on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/110_West_7th_Building

Never heard that Oneok started life as a replacement for the original Cities building.  Interesting they thought they'd outgrown the 110 tower in a matter of 9 years after being built.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 10:29:06 pm »

I thought the Cities Service building was the one that sold to Occidental Petroleum to the south of OneOk.

Ooops, wait.  Figured I'd double check that.  According to someone who posted this on Wiki, you'd be correct.  Read on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/110_West_7th_Building

Never heard that Oneok started life as a replacement for the original Cities building.  Interesting they thought they'd outgrown the 110 tower in a matter of 9 years after being built.

The Cities Service building didn't sell to Occidental Petroleum, that's who bought the who company.

This guy's grandfather bought Cities Service
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:31:13 pm by swake » Logged
davideinstein
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 07:29:47 am »

Let's top it off and move the county jail into that bad boy.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 02:59:15 pm »

A friend at ONEOK once told me that if they expanded it would be in a new building on an adjacent lot downtown.  This was a couple years ago, and I figured they would probably have their eye on the surface lots on either side of their building along 5th.  I don't know what their current capacity is in that building but ONEOK seems to be doing really well, and is the largest Fortune 500 company in Oklahoma.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 08:20:08 am »

They are expanding, by splitting up.  With the employees moving into First Place Tower.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org