A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 01:18:45 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More hospitals in Tulsa?  (Read 5211 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: October 24, 2013, 02:54:57 pm »

I've heard multiple times recently that the development, though not much of one with a Jiffy Lube, two banks and a failed steakhouse, on the NW corner of Memorial and 121st is a location that Cabella's has shown an interest in. Also heard that one of the hospital systems, no idea which one, had looked at the land on the other, South, side of 121st for a hospital.
Sure we need another hospital because there's such a shortage of specialty hospitals and the acute care facilities are turning away patients right and left.  Yet one of the major drivers in high health care costs.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:27:46 pm by sgrizzle » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 05:56:37 pm »

Sure we need another hospital because there's such a shortage of specialty hospitals and the acute care facilities are turning away patients right and left.  Yet one of the major drivers in high health care costs.

Supply, meet Demand....
Demand, meet Supply...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 07:26:36 pm »

Supply, meet Demand....
Demand, meet Supply...

I've often wondered recently if the hospitals in Tulsa's core will all survive.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 08:20:19 pm »

I've often wondered recently if the hospitals in Tulsa's core will all survive.

Of course they will.  Just keep upping the facility charges.

Do we really need Oklahoma Surgical Hospital (mind you several of my friends are surgeon/investors in it) when there are plenty of other out-patient facilities in the area?  Of course not.  It's simply another profit center for astute doctors looking to make more $$.

I had a knee scope at the Natalie outpatient center in '07 and a shoulder scope in '10.  I was shocked at the difference in price in just three years.  Facility charge nearly doubled.  Certainly the cost of living did not double in that time.  I had a hernia surgery at OSH last December and it was almost twice again what the facility charge was in 2010.  Pretty ridiculous.

I'm not sure what the revenue split is from the Natalie and St. Francis since it's all WPB properties and whether or not the surgeons using the Natalie are partners in that or not.  Since EOOC moved to the Natalie when it opened and they scheduled a lot of surgeries there, I've assumed they are in for a cut. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 08:21:00 pm »

Supply, meet Demand....
Demand, meet Supply...

There's an over-supply in this market

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 01:33:27 pm »

Of course they will.  Just keep upping the facility charges.

Do we really need Oklahoma Surgical Hospital (mind you several of my friends are surgeon/investors in it) when there are plenty of other out-patient facilities in the area?  Of course not.  It's simply another profit center for astute doctors looking to make more $$.

I had a knee scope at the Natalie outpatient center in '07 and a shoulder scope in '10.  I was shocked at the difference in price in just three years.  Facility charge nearly doubled.  Certainly the cost of living did not double in that time.  I had a hernia surgery at OSH last December and it was almost twice again what the facility charge was in 2010.  Pretty ridiculous.

I'm not sure what the revenue split is from the Natalie and St. Francis since it's all WPB properties and whether or not the surgeons using the Natalie are partners in that or not.  Since EOOC moved to the Natalie when it opened and they scheduled a lot of surgeries there, I've assumed they are in for a cut.  

Myself and many others have used the Spine&Surgery hospital at 71st & HW 75. Charge for the facility and other incidentals was $125
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 02:03:23 pm »

Myself and many others have used the Spine&Surgery hospital at 71st & HW 75. Charge for the facility and other incidentals was $125

I'll see if I can find the original statements, it was in the thousands.  These were procedures done under a general anesthetic.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 04:17:31 pm »

I'll see if I can find the original statements, it was in the thousands.  These were procedures done under a general anesthetic.

My son had his tonsils and adenoids removed at Spine&Specialty under general and it was $125. Even got a free teddy bear and backpack.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 09:56:24 pm »

My son had his tonsils and adenoids removed at Spine&Specialty under general and it was $125. Even got a free teddy bear and backpack.

Let me know if they ever start doing joint arthroscopy, that's a deal assuming they don't have issues with MRSA or other pathogens.  Grin

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 05:39:04 pm »

Let me know if they ever start doing joint arthroscopy, that's a deal assuming they don't have issues with MRSA or other pathogens.  Grin

Their deal is that they charge the same copay if you are in-network or out-of-network, but if you happen to be out-of-network, they just write off the remainder.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 06:51:38 pm »

Their deal is that they charge the same copay if you are in-network or out-of-network, but if you happen to be out-of-network, they just write off the remainder.

Copay is one thing, facility charge is another.  Was your co-pay on the facility charge $125 or was that the total itemized charge shown on your statement?  I don't see how they would stay in business at $125 per patient for OP surgery under anesthesia considering it generally is a three to four hour stint with many personnel involved in your visit.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 07:23:36 pm »

Copay is one thing, facility charge is another.  Was your co-pay on the facility charge $125 or was that the total itemized charge shown on your statement?  I don't see how they would stay in business at $125 per patient for OP surgery under anesthesia considering it generally is a three to four hour stint with many personnel involved in your visit.

Total charge was a couple grand I think, they charged a copay of $125 and since we were out of network, our insurance paid nothing. Coworker had the same experience. Talked to an ENT who works there and he said that is the deal. He said they work so efficiently that they pay the bills with just copays and what the in-network patients pay. Also, many of the doctors who use the facility also have a business relationship with the facility.
In_Tulsa
Citizen

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 07:58:01 pm »

Let's get back on topic...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 02:29:23 pm »

Let's get back on topic...

This is the topic.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 07:46:14 pm »

Of course they will.  Just keep upping the facility charges.

Do we really need Oklahoma Surgical Hospital (mind you several of my friends are surgeon/investors in it) when there are plenty of other out-patient facilities in the area?  Of course not.  It's simply another profit center for astute doctors looking to make more $$.

I had a knee scope at the Natalie outpatient center in '07 and a shoulder scope in '10.  I was shocked at the difference in price in just three years.  Facility charge nearly doubled.  Certainly the cost of living did not double in that time.  I had a hernia surgery at OSH last December and it was almost twice again what the facility charge was in 2010.  Pretty ridiculous.

So you are one of those enabling this bad behavior by hospitals/medical industry....supporting these extraneous, unneeded facilities....diluting the care resource distribution, and adding layers of cost.

Remember the hoopla around the "City of Faith" hospital?  Whether to let Oral build it, considering the glut of hospital beds at the time... Well, it certainly did not last, and never did fulfill the 'promises'.  I guess if you believe in a 700 foot Jesus, and propagandize it as much as was done, then real God is gonna come back and bite you in the nether regions.

I still think maybe Oral had a subliminal message for Tulsa in the configuration of those 3 buildings...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org