A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 04:37:41 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Maps  (Read 3304 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« on: May 13, 2014, 09:57:22 pm »

Looking at these is a good way to kill some time.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/Maps/misc/index.htm

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 10:32:35 am »

Good find!

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 01:05:10 pm »

I printed out the 1924 highway map - had family traveling the road a lot from Tulsa to Kansas City in the 20's.... sometimes through Bartlesville - interesting to put the roads to the stories....

In particular, I liked the 1909 OKC map.  2 years after statehood, and the town was less than 20 years old... ALREADY someone was thinking about a bypass around town!!  Amazing.... if in the southeast corner of town, one would be able to get on the 'boulevard' and take the horse wagon around to the northwest corner of town, missing all that inner city traffic and the teaming masses of 40,000 bodies!!

There was a serious vision there!! 

Makes me wonder how we got to the Mary Failin' point we are at today!!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:28:03 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 03:00:22 pm »

Construction pics of the Turner were pretty cool.  That’s a really nice collection.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 03:57:34 pm »

Ya just gotta love they way they lied straight faced in the turnpike brochure....

The part about how the road will become free and part of the Oklahoma highway system.  Not much changed since 1953.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org