A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 03:24:25 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown vs, da; Burbs  (Read 6351 times)
Hometown
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 12:01:25 pm »

I don’t know what you folks are talking about.  I work downtown and I’ve been to the Coney Island and walked around Civic Center and no one has panhandled me.  I do see the “homeless” walking from the Salvation Army to the City’s Day Center for the homeless.  And a number of homeless people gather in the public library, but they do their best to blend in.

Here’s some tips.  Don’t wear expensive jewelry.  Don’t have eye contact.  Look like you know where you are going.  Don’t stop when you are approached.  Say, “sorry, no” as you keep moving.

Now it takes all kinds, and I made the decision not to live in an upscale suburban setting because I feel uncomfortable around racial and political monotony.  I don’t feel comfortable in groups unless there is racial diversity and economic diversity.  I am drawn to settings like downtown.

There are many issues at play here.  One is a fine balancing act going on between freedom and control.  Americans tend to value freedom over control.  

On the other hand, it’s sinful for the Wealthiest nation on earth to stand by and watch as women, children and elderly bed down in the bushes next to the freeway or on the ledge of a highway underpass.

I also want to point out to the young folks out there that there were no significant numbers of homeless people in the United States during the Liberal Era after Roosevelt and before Reagan.

Aa5drvr
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 12:43:36 pm »

Its my fault for not being clear.

All this talk about downtown development.  I worked in downtown LA for 5 years, running a business.  I had to roust homeless people from my company dumpster.
Downtown LA like downtown Tulsa is not a tourist mecca.  If Tulsa wants its downtown to become more attractive they have to do something.  Run the homeless off?  Not necessarily.  But collectively the business community must do something to make the positives stronger than the negatives.

I love NYC, and will put up with the panhandlers, because of attactions.   No other reason.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 01:19:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aa5drvr

64 feet from the rear of my vehicle to the entranace of Coney I-Land, measured by measuring tape at 3:45 pm.
Purchased 2 coneys, with cheese, no onions.

And people from the burbs say there's no convenient parking downtown!!
buckeye
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 02:22:12 pm »

I work downtown and have been panhandled innumerable times.  Some of them will walk into the shop and ask anybody within eyeshot for money, customers included.  From what I can tell, most of these folks are pros and it gets annoying when they're insistent.

I think the OP is trying to point out that given the choice between getting panhandled and _not_, people will choose the _not_!  It keeps people out of downtown and perpetuates the dual attitude of: "Downtown?!  But that's sooooo far away and it's scummy."
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 02:28:51 pm »

There wouldn't be any panhandlers if people didnt give them any money.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Hometown
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 03:39:47 pm »

It's bigger than that Artist.  When I was growing up the only homeless downtown were a handful of winos and an occasional hobo passing through town.  It has to do with a societal safety net.  Something our grandparents (your great grandparents) created and something my generation took away.  Now honestly, if I went downtown and saw the same people I see at Woodland Hills Mall I wouldn't have moved back to Tulsa.  I find middle class strivers boring.  I had them figured out by third grade at Hoover Elementary.  Anyway, there are skinny White people sleeping under the overpasses all over the place.  When we reach a tipping point there will be serious changes of some sort.

inteller
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007, 06:29:25 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

I liked the homeless gy on 71st yesterday with a digital camera..

run over that ****er.  there is no reason anyone should be homeless on 71st, there are now hiring signs everywhere.

I say let a few of these career bums get waxed, and they will figure out real quick tulsa is not for them.

there is no reason anyone in this town with a will should go without.  the bums downtown are there because they want to be....same goes for 71st.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 07:22:29 pm »

Yes there would still be homeless people etc. but they wouldn't be panhandling at 71st or Downtown if people wouldn't give them money. As for a safety net or housing, nothing should be free or without strings attached. Even if that "string" is medical/psychological/counseling/educational etc.

The solution seems to be. Have adequate safety nets and help available with some sort of proven success strategy and nobody give the panhandlers anything so these people will not have the option of not availing themselves of that net. Your choices are, go to the program, work, or starve.  If you want to give money give to those programs. Period.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
dsjeffries
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 07:34:50 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

quote:

64 feet from the rear of my vehicle to the entranace of Coney I-Land, measured by measuring tape at 3:45 pm.

And people from the burbs say there's no convenient parking downtown!!

LOL [Tongue]
deinstein
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 03:46:59 pm »

quote:

I attended a meeting downtown Tulsa from 10:00 am until appx 3:30 pm,
I didnt eat lunch so I thought in the interest of "old times," I would have lunch at Coney I-Land in the street level of the old Down-Towner hotel, on Cheyenne.  3

2 Cheese, No Onions, to go.............

My scientific observation is this:

Accosted by 2 homeless persons, one on the way into the establishment, one immediately upon exit.

At no other Coney I-Lander establishment in Tulsa have I had to fend off homeless folk.

Does this say something about Downtown?

Kitty?  Kitty?

No, it says you were right near Denver Avenue which houses the jail, rehabilitation clinics and homeless shelters.

I'm assuming no one ever has mentioned you as the sharpest tool in the shed.
deinstein
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 03:48:01 pm »

quote:

Sorry my fault.  I wont go downtown again.  I hope that makes you happy.

Oh, it does. Actually, don't come north of I-44.

Thanks,
The Management.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org