News:

Long overdue maintenance happening. See post in the top forum.

Main Menu

This is interesting

Started by NellieBly, October 16, 2007, 01:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NellieBly

Came in my inbox

Class of 2009 parents,
I am passing this forward along for your information...  unfortunately this seems to be a recurring problem that needs to be dealt with.  So sad that these kinds of things happen in/at TPS functions.  
Subject: McLain Fundraiser Huge Success!!!>
McLain High School held a fundraiser last evening at the visitors locker room at Melvin Driver Stadium.  Due to a shooting in the parking lot earlier in the season that was widely reported in the Tulsa World, TPS held several McLain home games on Saturdays out of safety concerns.  Eagles Head Coach Wade Weller tried unsuccessfully to get the Edison v McLain game moved from Friday night to Saturday for the same reasons.  He was told "no" and was assured that adequate security would be in place for the game.
Parents and fans arrived for the game to a parking lot devoid of any security personnel whatsoever. Once at the visitors gate, a
security guard was stationed to make sure that no Edison visitors snuck into the stadium without paying!  Throughout the game,
various kids and people could be seen jumping over and out of the chain link fence that surrounds the stadium behind the visitors
stands.  Then fire trucks and ambulances arrived in the parking lot and remained with flashing lights during the rest of the game. McLain's coaching staff called an onside kick with 17.7 seconds left in the game. A real tribute to sportsmanship.
After the game, our players discovered the McLain "trick-or-treat" – 18 players had cell phones, i-pods, shoes, money and jewelry stolen from the unlocked locker room. Cell records from some of the stolen phones indicate that calls were made up until round 7:40 pm. Despite promises of security, it is obvious that no guard or security was provided for the visitors locker room.
Tulsa Police met with the team afterwards and encouraged each boy to submit an online report at www.tulsapolice.com   Also, each boy wrote out what was taken and a formal claim for reimbursement will be submitted to Tulsa Public Schools on Monday morning.
The McLain fundraiser netted 12 cell phones;  5 i-pods;  5 items of jewelry; an expensive pair of Nike shoes, a Visa Debit card, numerous wallets, and over $170.00 in cash.  I know that every Edison parent was proud of the way the McLain team and coaching staff and especially the announcer conducted themselves during the
game. We know that "Sugar Bear" is not a suspect because of the continuous announcing that "Sugar Bear says No".
If you are the parent of a victimized player, please be sure to file the online police report. Also, please know that a formal demand for compensation will be submitted to TPS on Monday morning pursuant to the Oklahoma Tort Claim Act based on the negligence and lack of security provided for the locker room.  This is an unfortunate planned accident but our players shouldn't have to bear the cost. Either McLain should step up and cover the costs or the formal legal process will take care of the issue.

> PS   The Edison Band bus was broken into last year, so they did not attend
> this game last night.