A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 09:47:00 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Civic Center or Coliseums  (Read 5379 times)
shadows
City Father

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 03:12:15 pm »

CF quoted:
Actually, the Greeks did not use mercenary armies. The Macedonians under Alexander did, but that's like calling a Canadian, American. The Greek city states saw sport as the perfect expression of humanity. It was a struggle, a display of the human form, and there was a clear winner and loser. Even ignoring those facts, who cares?

Did not the Greek city state, in turning to the sports, weaken Greece where Philip ll of  Macedonia was able to take over without any effort which Alexander lll pursued his fathers conquest of the known world after he was assassinated about the middle of the third century  B.C.?

Who cares?  That what the Greeks though as it was bringing to an end their empire in history.

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 12:02:12 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

Since this turned into a Soccer thread (as all threads with Rufnex seem to Smiley, figure I'll post this here:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/showbiz/article-23406626-details/Frustrated+Galaxy+fans+hold+up+'wanted'+posters+of+Beckham/article.do

Perhaps a Tulsa team could get him cheap. [Tongue]

Victoria "Posh Spice" Beckham-David Beckham: I'm trying really hard to understand the attraction there.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 09:27:30 am »

quote:
Originally posted by shadows

Did not the Greek city state, in turning to the sports, weaken Greece where Philip ll of  Macedonia was able to take over without any effort which Alexander lll pursued his fathers conquest of the known world after he was assassinated about the middle of the third century  B.C.?

Who cares?  That what the Greeks though as it was bringing to an end their empire in history.

I've heard several theories on how the Greek's were overtaken, playing sports too much has never been one of them.  Their sports were all *really* war games.  Running, wrestling, javelin throwing - war games.  The Olympics were a celebration of the prowess of the Greek warrior.  

Waring between city states coupled with pressure from outside threats (Persia, mostly) is the primary reason for the collapse.  Coupled with a feeling of superiority over their neighbor to the North led to an relatively easy ascension of the Macedonians (they came for Athens, and I did nothing...).   When an outsider came to war on the Greeks, the came together.  The Macedonians were not outsider enough to garner widespread support to face them together (until it was too late).

Of course, the conquerors then became who the conquered as they spread "Greek" culture around the known world.

So, because the Greeks did not fall due to sport - the arena is a good thing.  Makes perfect sense.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org