A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 01:57:50 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have the Homeless been 'disappeared' yet?  (Read 4022 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: August 01, 2007, 10:00:06 pm »

In time for the PGA, have the homeless been rounded up and put away yet (like we do for VIP visits)?  Sad we dont have these resources when it's below freezing and bodies are turning up in cardboard boxes.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 06:37:28 am »

No...I was accosted by one at the QT on 15th and Denver this morning.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 07:36:02 am »

I really like the idea of busing them to better climates.  The expense of a $50 greyhound ticket would be well worth it.  They have to go far enough away that they are not likely to come back... San Francisco?

/horrible person, I know

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 11:36:05 am »

Nope. They are still there.

However I am noticing a disturbing trend. I love strolling around downtown taking photos. Nice to do it in different seasons and times. Over the last few years I have noticed that a small but terrible trend is starting to emerge.
There are more and more cars parked on the streets in the evenings and more people walking around. Even on the average week night. Especially in front of the Philtower lofts. God save us when the Mayo and other lofts are done. It is becoming harder and harder to get good "uncluttered" shots of buildings and streetscapes. If this ghastly trend continues over the next 5 or so years it may be next to impossible to find a clear shot of some of my favorite buildings. I used to have to never wait for people to walk by and get out of my photo. This trend must be stopped!

sarcasm off...[Tongue]

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
rwarn17588
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 11:39:03 am »

Post of the week, by Artist. [Smiley]
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 09:48:01 pm »

Ah, yes, a "Task Force":

TULSA, Okla.) August 3 - Police held a special panhandler round up on Friday.
Police will be out all weekend to do these round ups. If you have a problem with panhandling in your neighborhood they encourage you to report it.

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=ab17207e-feb0-4466-b1e6-ecd5faedee0c

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
inteller
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 06:58:16 am »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

Ah, yes, a "Task Force":

TULSA, Okla.) August 3 - Police held a special panhandler round up on Friday.
Police will be out all weekend to do these round ups. If you have a problem with panhandling in your neighborhood they encourage you to report it.

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=ab17207e-feb0-4466-b1e6-ecd5faedee0c

Good!  I will call and complain about the professional panhandlers on 71st/169.

Let me say this again.  There is NO reason to go without in this town  If you are panhandling on the side of the street you are abusing people's good will and you should be arrested.
Wilbur
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 07:29:47 am »

I've said this before and I'll say it again:

DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS!

What I mean is, don't give these people money.  They are not homeless.  Most are alcoholics and want money for booze.  Want to actually do the favor they want, go buy them a bottle of alcohol and hand that out the window.  Saves 'em a trip.
inteller
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 07:36:18 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

I've said this before and I'll say it again:

DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS!

What I mean is, don't give these people money.  They are not homeless.  Most are alcoholics and want money for booze.  Want to actually do the favor they want, go buy them a bottle of alcohol and hand that out the window.  Saves 'em a trip.

actually, do them a favor and run over them when they illegally cross the street.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 09:43:50 am »

Even the John 3:16 representative said they were criminals.

I felt a little guilt about telling them to get away from me until I heard him say to ignore them and to not give them any money.

My guilt is gone.  Get away from my car you creepy freak.
RuralDweller
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 05:15:14 pm »

I know of at least one at 71st & 169 which is a certified con artist.  I recognized him from a shop he use to work in downtown.  At the intersection, he was holding a sign to the effect of "Homeless VietNam vet needs assistance".  From the guy he use to work for downtown:  he's not homeless; owns his own house, and he's not a veteran of any kind, just too lazy to work!
inteller
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 06:12:35 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RuralDweller

I know of at least one at 71st & 169 which is a certified con artist.  I recognized him from a shop he use to work in downtown.  At the intersection, he was holding a sign to the effect of "Homeless VietNam vet needs assistance".  From the guy he use to work for downtown:  he's not homeless; owns his own house, and he's not a veteran of any kind, just too lazy to work!

in some cities these cons can make up to 50k a year.  run over them.
Wilhelmurg
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 07:08:15 am »

I've been living in the Pearl District (8th & Peoria area) for a year and we are starting to get Hobos sleeping in Centennial Park on a regular basis.  While most of them keep to themselves, we do have children that play in the park; it seems like a recipe for disaster.  

I've had them knock on the door in the middle of the night wanting money.

I guess they've given up on the homeless downtown.  A friend of mine has company paid parking behind the YMCA (he works in the Chase Building) and a gang of Hobos wanting change swarms him every night as he walks to his car.

We're renting a house for $900 a month and the area is simply going to the dogs – our neighbor across the street, a self-styled Nazi, was raided last week for growing pot in his house. We're out of here as soon as the lease is up.  There is little hope for this area becoming anything as long as the slumlords keep renting out the houses at rock bottom prices.  $900 is a lot to pay for living in a slum.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 08:08:26 am »

To be fair, Wilhelmurg, Hobo's are people who travel from city to city (most often by rail) doing odd jobs and scrapping by as a way of life.  The people you are describing are bums.

It is part of my daily ritual now to spurn a low-life at a North Side QT.  Everyday - "can I have a ride to work?"  "Then how about some money for the bus?"  But he is standing at the same place when I pass by going to lunch, everyday.  Perhaps he should start walking earlier.

In fact, tomorrow I'm going to ask him for some change.  Damn its annoying.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Samalicious
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 08:11:19 am »

Three or four homeless guys have pretty much taken up permanent residence in Owen Park too. It is discouraging when the cops won't even come when they're called about it. But, they won't come when they're called about hookers having public sex right across from Roosevelt school either. Sigh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org