A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 04:22:39 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting arena design fact...  (Read 3775 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: October 19, 2007, 09:45:34 am »

Supposedly tornadoes were an influence in the arena design. The curtain wall and other elements try to make the arena look like it is spinning clockwise. However, 90% of north american tornadoes spin counter-clockwise..
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 10:13:58 am »

Tornadoes have increased ever since we built the interstate highway system. I believe trucks are partially to blame.

I propose trucks drive on the left side of the road (like England).

Power is nothing till you use it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 12:19:13 pm »

Yes, you notice how all those storms track right up the turnpike from OKC to Tulsa. This road has obvously not only made it easier for cars to get from OKC to Tulsa but the storms as well. Definitely a prime example of unintended consequences if I ever saw one.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 01:11:45 pm »

Maybe it's the collections of trailer parks that spring up next to interstates that have increased the number of tornados.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 01:21:36 pm »

Or maybe that we now have better reporting of such  events and more people to get displaced because of said storm

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Wrinkle
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 10:03:10 am »

Another interesting 'fact' concerning our arena, according to the World's article on it being considered for the Conf-USA Championship, is that it now seats only 17,500 for basketball.

This was to be an 18,000 seat arena for basketball.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 10:57:19 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Wrinkle

Another interesting 'fact' concerning our arena, according to the World's article on it being considered for the Conf-USA Championship, is that it now seats only 17,500 for basketball.

It's supposed to be 18,000 seats total. Basketball takes up most of the floor, or about 500 seats.
inteller
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 03:06:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:

It's supposed to be 18,000 seats total. Basketball takes up most of the floor, or about 500 seats.

ok, so in order to sit 18000 the seats go all the way to the center of the arena and the act consists of one dude standing on a soapbox?

as the mayor would say "WELL THAT'S JUST CRAZY!"
Wilbur
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 03:22:32 pm »

I believe it is all George Bush's fault!
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 05:11:59 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:

ok, so in order to sit 18000 the seats go all the way to the center of the arena and the act consists of one dude standing on a soapbox?

as the mayor would say "WELL THAT'S JUST CRAZY!"

Boxing and concert use more floor seating than basketball.
Mike G
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 07:24:34 am »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

Maybe it's the collections of trailer parks that spring up next to interstates that have increased the number of tornados.

Which came first; the tornado or the trailer park?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 07:19:52 am »

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/newton/askasci/1993/general/GEN016.HTM

95+% of low pressure systems rotate CLOCKWISE in the Northern Hemisphere.  Hence, 95+% of tornadoes rotate clockwise.  

HOWEVER, I can come up with 2 alternate explanations for the direction of our arena.  1) The architect (Cesar Pelli) is from Argentina, where such storms rotate counter clockwise.  or 2) the atmosphere inside our arena is a high pressure system (thus rotating clockwise).

and that's all I got!
- - -

To solve our storm problem I propose a 1' gravel spacer between I-44 and Tulsa on both sides.  That way, the storm storm should exist the freeway before it gets to Tulsa.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org