A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 12:45:35 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 75% of bombs not detected at airports  (Read 5687 times)
waterboy
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 06:28:07 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

Smaller dams are better targets. The Keystone would be ideal, with a large metro downstream. Many of those kinds of flood control dams across the midwest. Look at what the levees failing did to New Orleans. Those are examples of thoughtful targets that are poorly defended and fairly easy to bring down. You need look no farther than OU's exploding student to realize how much damage could have been done had he and a few buddies been sitting in the stands.

But a hospital would be ideal. Simply put on scrubs, walk into key areas like ICU, Pediatrics, cafeteria, lab, or the parking garages and detonate. Refineries? Put on a hard hat and a jumpsuit and walk right in. So many targets, so little defense.

Out of curiosity...did they ever arrest anyone for the expressway shootings here in Tulsa last summer? The ones where they camped behind bridge abutments and sniped at random drivers?

That's the spirit Waterboy, give 'em a few ideas!
[8D]

Just commenting on the futility of massive government programs to defend against a committed terrorist. Especially if you incorrectly assess what his target will be. I doubt that they haven't thought of these common sense targets, but it seems we are obsessed with airport security while more potentially widescale impact targets are business as usual.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 10:11:42 am »

What's more, the private contractors in San Francisco caught 80%.  Half the failure rate of their federally employed brethren to their south.

Yay for government!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 11:49:04 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

We have wasted so much money in the hysteria that has followed 9/11.  In the Bay Area they kept National Guard posted on the bridges for months and I would drive past and think, “now what are these guys going to be able see with thousands of cars constantly rushing past them.”  It was all for show, and unfortunately show cost a lot of money and didn’t accomplish much.  

Clearly the answer is technology and if the wasted money had been put into technology from the get go we would be much further along than we are.

I am still haunted by the image of that nice, middle-class woman being held down by fat airport guards in Phoenix and her screaming to anyone that would listen; “I am not a terrorist,” shortly before she was found dead in the holding cell.

We've all heard stories of grandmothers being strip searched at airports, et cetera.

Our Republican leadership has created a lot of fear and unfortunately not the kind of security we really need.

I tend to dread flying. Not because of fear of flying, but because of the hoops I have to go through every time I'm trying to get past checking in my luggage and then of course, getting through the line to wait for the flight. As a cosmetologist, I attend a number of industry shows and conventions, and I'd say that the air travel is the most harrowing aspect to it.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org