A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 01:12:06 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fireball on west 23rd  (Read 2974 times)
waterboy
« on: May 26, 2008, 08:45:20 am »

Went walking this morning along the Riverside path and saw dark smoke billowing from the area around Avery drive to the west and north. Then a large fireball in the smoke. Then it all rapidly dissipated. Anyone know what happened? I'm thinking there are some NGL tanks over there that may have ruptured. Looked pretty cool.

I also have to say, the path is very nice. Now if we could get rid of the noisy traffic on Riverside....
1099paralegal
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:22:48 am »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy
I also have to say, the path is very nice. Now if we could get rid of the noisy traffic on Riverside....

How to Rid Riverside of Noisy Traffic, Without Really Trying?  Jam it with bikes.  Last Friday of every month.  1745.  Meetup at the 21st Street Bridge.

The ONLY reason why cops pick on bikes is because of angry, IGNORANT motorists who insists on CRIMINALLY speeding on Riverside Raceway, and bikes get in their way of breaking the LAW.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 10:44:11 am »

quote:

I'm inured to the noise. I don't notice unless I'm either paying attention or a car sans muffler drives by. Or one of the ones with the blasting bass.

Maybe it comes from using the path along the Creek. That's noise..

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
FOTD
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:51:24 am »

quote:

Went walking this morning along the Riverside path and saw dark smoke billowing from the area around Avery drive to the west and north. Then a large fireball in the smoke. Then it all rapidly dissipated. Anyone know what happened? I'm thinking there are some NGL tanks over there that may have ruptured. Looked pretty cool.

It was just your imagination....

Unless the culprit is caught red handed, forget it. We are a refinery town. It stinks.
Wilbur
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 12:32:31 pm »

quote:

It's called the refinery.  Happens all the time (although, they don't want anyone to know that).
waterboy
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 07:47:08 pm »

I know the refinery occassionally belches through the smoke stacks. I worked at one for a few months so I know they have upsets that flare off and are part of the process. But this was bigger than a flare. It was a little west of the refinery.

Since they pretty much take care of their own stuff it probably didn't get a firetruck call.
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 11:37:55 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by 1099paralegal

quote:

How to Rid Riverside of Noisy Traffic, Without Really Trying?  Jam it with bikes.  Last Friday of every month.  1745.  Meetup at the 21st Street Bridge.

The ONLY reason why cops pick on bikes is because of angry, IGNORANT motorists who insists on CRIMINALLY speeding on Riverside Raceway, and bikes get in their way of breaking the LAW.

You should be glad the Riverside Freeway was never built.
FOTD
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 07:51:52 am »

You mean the Betsey Horowitz Freeway.
waterboy
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 07:58:56 am »

I for one am thankful to Betsy. It would have been the eastern boundary of my home and consumed Lee school.
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 02:49:42 pm »

quote:

I for one am thankful to Betsy. It would have been the eastern boundary of my home and consumed Lee school.

I'm generally pro-freeway, but this is one that I'm glad didn't get built.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org