A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 07:30:29 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dr. Cooper verdict  (Read 2080 times)
da dawg
« on: March 08, 2009, 12:44:29 pm »

I hate to promote the Tulsa World but was glad to read the article they did on Dr. Cooper. More importantly I was glad to read the comments after the article online. MANY people are outraged at the verdict and the outcome of this case. Spoiled kids get away with making bad choices and very bad decisions...Their parents are just as bad!! I do not understand parents who do not hold their children accountable for doing wrong.  These parents are really doing their children a disservice in the long run....or maybe they are just afraid of their own kids.
Tim Harris may be looking for another job after this fiasco.

http://www.tulsaworld.com:80/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090307_14_A11_Ajuryh906618&archive=yes&allcom=1
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:01:36 am »

Comments are gone again.

"Due to the number of comments that violate our terms and conditions, the Tulsa World has elected to disable comments for this article."

I hate missing the good crazies.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 09:21:02 am »

I have no problem with the jury verdict in this case.  It seems appropriate to essentially tell the Doctor that what he did was not appropriate and slap him on the wrist ($2000 fine, misdemeanors  conviction).  While I can not fault him for his actions, it was against the law.

HOWEVER, I think the "kids" should also be charged.  Criminal trespass, criminal mischief, SOMETHING.  Going up to someones door and violently rattling it at 10:30pm at night is more than ding-dong ditch.  It would not have surprised me if they had ended up shot... if multiple cars pulled into my driveway, a group of men hopped out that I didn't know, and then ran up and appeared to be attempting to break in my front door - it would not end well for them.  At very least their intent was to put the people inside in "imminent fear of harm."

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
waterboy
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 09:41:23 am »

I have no problem with the jury verdict in this case.  It seems appropriate to essentially tell the Doctor that what he did was not appropriate and slap him on the wrist ($2000 fine, misdemeanors  conviction).  While I can not fault him for his actions, it was against the law.

HOWEVER, I think the "kids" should also be charged.  Criminal trespass, criminal mischief, SOMETHING.  Going up to someones door and violently rattling it at 10:30pm at night is more than ding-dong ditch.  It would not have surprised me if they had ended up shot... if multiple cars pulled into my driveway, a group of men hopped out that I didn't know, and then ran up and appeared to be attempting to break in my front door - it would not end well for them.  At very least their intent was to put the people inside in "imminent fear of harm."

I agree solidly CF. Disclosure: I am lightly acquainted with the Dr. and his wife. There is more to the story of course as always. They had been harassing his family for some time. The parents were aware and their response was a poor example of parenting. Nonetheless, the doc's response was over the top. It seems we think professionals are immune to these kinds of reactions and that is just not true. Most of us would have behaved similarly if we felt threatened, yet the response was disproportionate. I hope the misdemeanor does not affect his creditation.

The parents need to get a grip and drop any civil suits. Print their photos in the local rag so we can all see the faces of poor parenting....south of 91st street.
Hawkins
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 12:40:53 am »

I agree with pretty much all that has been said.

The Dr. received a slap on the wrist fine--appropriate. He lost control temporarily due to the extreme circumstances. Although legally, one cannot chase down a car and bust out the windows, we all know why he did it, and sympathize.

The Tulsa World article had a very sad ending, pointing out that there were civil lawsuits pending.

What kind of awful parent allows their kids to comment this kind of mayhem, and then, when they push a local professional over the edge, decide to sue him? Just disgusting on every level. With parents like that, these kids will head off into adult society with a completely misguided attitude, and they will darken the world with their jaded mentality.

God Help Us All.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org