A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2024, 11:25:03 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: City Councilors Hate Art  (Read 9773 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 10:49:44 am »

Maybe I'm being provincial, but I like the Nature Works sculptures.  Would somebody clue me in as to why they're so derided?

As for the work in discussion, any well-done art is far better than a blank wall.

Lets say your being "provincial"... so what?   The city should have art for all kinds of people.  Rich, poor, young, old, provincial or "central" all kinds of people live in and contribute to the city.  Whether you swig a beer and drive a Harley, or sip lattes and drive a Vespa, nobody's "culture" should be seen as either better or above someone else's.  They are just different, and each can and should be able to enjoy their own thing without the scorn of the other.  "No one can make you feel inferior unless you give them permission to."  Sure we all occasionally poke fun at the other, but when it goes to the point of scorn or derision, or "I am better than you because of what I like. " I think that's crossing the line and untrue.

Some don't like that a few of the animals may not be native or appropriate for the area. Whether or not that's so, or whether that even matters or is intended, is another subject however.  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 10:51:19 am »

OH!  Ya got me!  My cover is blown.  Whateeeever will I do!  

At any moment all those hundreds and hundreds of clients, over two decades worth, will realize they have been had!  They will realize that I have been a "poser" all this time.  All talk and no talent of any sort.  They didnt actually like my stuff, it was just me pulling the wool over their eyes, making them belieeeeeve they liked it.  Mwuhaaahaaahaaaa!  How foolishly all those people parted with their hard earned money.  I should be ashamed  Cry.  Oh and those poor Mayfest people sayin my posters sold the next highest number of anyone and were surprised because I wasnt "well known or famous".  Silly people, they only sold that many because it was a heist, a carefully crafted flamboozle in which I POSED as an artist and thus THAT was the only reason people bought them.  Oh, and all those repeat clients and "word of mouth" clients.... suckers all, got em wrapped around my Pooosing little finger.  Them having me work for them and paying me isnt in the least an indication of any artistic talent whatsoever, no no no noooooo its puuuurely my ability to sweet talk and swindle them into the whoooole thing. Poooosing is my game, Artist was just a name.  Yep, ya got me.  Not a lick of talent. I might as well pack it up and move on to the next town. Nobody will buy any of my stuff now that you have revealed my secret.  Sorry folks, nothing to see here, not an artist at all, was just "posing".   Wink

Does this mean I can get a discount on a really cool sci fi piece?
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 10:54:51 am »

Seems kind of funny how you would get your panties in a bunch over someone saying that tax payer funds should not be used to buy frivolous things are art especially garbage under the guise of art.Are you one of those frauds posing as artist whom the city buys garbage from or at least one of those artist whom the city buys art from?

He was pointing out that the art cost was part of the bill that was voted on by tax payers.  You are saying, we don't have any money so lets not spend money on art that we don't need.  Something tells me that if they didn't spend the 1% it wouldn't go back into any budget we could use for anything anyway.  Of course, our Mayor wouldn't understand that.
buckeye
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 02:52:16 pm »

The first thing I could think of was this:

http://www.museumofbadart.org/

Wink

But certainly nobody should be made to feel bad for the art they enjoy (except professional wrestling fans).

The nature works stuff strikes me as well-executed and very accessible.  Perhaps those are solely its good qualities, but I was surprised to see such negative opinions of them here and there.  Very nice to have them here - even if Moose don't roam Pawhuska.  And I agree that ideally every audience would find selected works to their liking.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 03:00:33 pm »

Buck, love the link.  The comments are pretty damn funny:

"UNSEEN FORCES #9
Circus of Despair
Oil on canvas by Unknown
18"x24"
Acquired by Scott Wilson from trash in Boston

This joyous, frightful circus romp is emblematic of, and yet somehow transcends, Unknown's entire body of work."

Tells you what I know though, I kind of enjoyed this abstract piece  Wink

* u-pop-unseen-9.jpg (46.36 KB - downloaded 173 times.)

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 04:13:51 pm »

Does this mean I can get a discount on a really cool sci fi piece?

Absolutely, recession pricing is all the rage these days.  Tongue   

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org