A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 05:30:33 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa World Web site copy/paste "feature"  (Read 2692 times)
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« on: January 26, 2010, 08:29:15 am »

Why is it that anytime I copy and paste something from a story on the Tulsa World web site I get the following text added to my copy?

>> Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/...

Oftentimes, I may copy a person's name from a story and paste it into the google search box to find out more about the person and that junk is added to the end of the paste.

I guess it's a new "feature".

It's really irritating.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 10:07:40 am »

Why is it that anytime I copy and paste something from a story on the Tulsa World web site I get the following text added to my copy?

>> Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/...

Oftentimes, I may copy a person's name from a story and paste it into the google search box to find out more about the person and that junk is added to the end of the paste.

I guess it's a new "feature".

It's really irritating.

I thought perhaps I'd hit a different key string to do that the other day.  Interesting to note that it's something happening automatically.  I suppose it's so they are propery cited as a source when people re-print from there.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacks fan
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:24:14 am »

I have noticed several websites that if you try to click to c&p it says to contact the web admin for permission, and some just outright block it. Conan I think you are right in that they will let you but want to be cited, and with others they probably don't want to get into a copyright battle.
PepePeru
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 01:31:53 pm »

you can see on the page source, its java script that causes this to happen.

so, one solution is to use firefox with the no-script addon.  This will block a site's java script, until you grant permission.

however, the tulsa world website will have somewhat limited functionality without allowing java to run, but you can still click on stories, read stories and copy and paste parts of the text without it appending the text. 

no-script takes some diligence, especially on sites that have a ton of java, but if you trust them, allow it once and you're done with it.  It just depends on how functional you ultimately want the site to be. 

However, it just might save your butt the next time you search for song lyrics, for example and end up on a sketchy page loaded with malware.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 05:46:42 pm »

Malware?  Huh

Oh, yeah. That's that stuff that happens to PCs.  Cheesy
dbacks fan
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 08:40:56 pm »

Malware?  Huh

Oh, yeah. That's that stuff that happens to PCs.  Cheesy

Must be a Mac user. I have been thinking about that for my next computer.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 10:35:07 pm »

Must be a Mac user. I have been thinking about that for my next computer.

Good luck with apps that aren't either for music or imaging/video.  I like Mac just as much as the next guy, but they made it even more difficult when they essentially ported their OS as a Linux derivative.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 12:34:37 am »

Linux derivative.
Just being pedantic, but it's not a Linux derivative. It's a NetBSD derivative. They are similar (NetBSD and Linux), and can run many of the same programs with a simple recompilation, but they're pretty far apart as UNIX derivatives go. (BSD is derived from AT&T's System V, Linux is a loose reimplementation of that)

And apropos to the topic, if you use Greasemonkey, the attached script will solve your problem

* tulsa_world_paste_junk_r.user.js (0.9 KB - downloaded 104 times.)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org