A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 08:24:49 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Council Proposes Feb. 8 Vote On City Manager  (Read 2479 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: October 12, 2010, 11:11:59 am »

February special election possible for Tulsa government proposal

A council proposal to change the city's form of government to a council-city manager might end up on a Feb. 8 special election ballot.

During a committee meeting, Councilor Roscoe Turner said he'd like to see a vote at that election, which also would have a question on whether the city attorney's position should be an elected post.

Councilor Bill Christiansen, who supports the change, cautioned on moving too quickly.

Turner and Christiansen both said the proposal is not related to the current administration or the form of government changes recently proposed by a nonprofit group, Save Our Tulsa.

Turner said it is not a new idea and has been discussed in the past. He said he and former Councilor Joe Williams suggested it before, but it got no traction.

Last week, Save Our Tulsa filed paperwork to circulate three initiative petitions for changes that would add the mayor and three at-large members to the City Council, make elections nonpartisan and change city election dates and council terms.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20101012_11_0_Acounc433004

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 11:23:36 am »

February special election possible for Tulsa government proposal

A council proposal to change the city's form of government to a council-city manager might end up on a Feb. 8 special election ballot.

During a committee meeting, Councilor Roscoe Turner said he'd like to see a vote at that election, which also would have a question on whether the city attorney's position should be an elected post.

Councilor Bill Christiansen, who supports the change, cautioned on moving too quickly.

Turner and Christiansen both said the proposal is not related to the current administration or the form of government changes recently proposed by a nonprofit group, Save Our Tulsa.

Turner said it is not a new idea and has been discussed in the past. He said he and former Councilor Joe Williams suggested it before, but it got no traction.

Last week, Save Our Tulsa filed paperwork to circulate three initiative petitions for changes that would add the mayor and three at-large members to the City Council, make elections nonpartisan and change city election dates and council terms.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20101012_11_0_Acounc433004

It got no traction because we didn't have a power-hungry jackass and his knave in office (the knave is Bartlett BTW).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 11:43:40 am »

I see a lot of opposition to this making it out as the continuation of the fued between the council and the mayor.  I'm sure it will be postured as the council getting rid of the mayor out of spite.  In fact, I'm willing to bet that without looking at the TW comments that there are few on there making this claim.  Of course, that might be a part of their motivation in any case.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 12:46:54 pm »

I guess I am naive on this proposal. Let me know if this is right.

The council wants to have a vote to give the council all the power.

Is that it?

Power is nothing till you use it.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 08:45:59 pm »

I guess I am naive on this proposal. Let me know if this is right.

The council wants to have a vote to give the council all the power.

Is that it?
After two attempts and $23,000 dollars to change from 11 councilors to 9 and a strong mayor (city manager) who was elected by all the citizens.  Now we are going to vote on a city manager selected by a dozen attorneys and powers to be.

Reminds one of an article in TW pointing out that a bank who did not have to bid on the tax free revenue bond, that was promoted by false information on the revenue that would be derived in the issue, will collect millions in tax free interest from the working poor regardless of city money shortage.  The TW that the bask has a profit in the millions.

If the citizens are lead to believe that a city manager appointed by a dozen promoters, will represent the citizens then it is time to look back over the conditions 60 years ago.

There is the old cliché of the newly elected city manger when he ask “where do I get my salary”.    Council replied “finding the money is the first part of the job”.

It is not necessary that a sucker be born every minute.     

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org