A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 03:35:27 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Predictions for state questions  (Read 1836 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: November 01, 2010, 04:03:09 pm »

These are my predictions, not how I'm planning to vote.  At this late date, the chances of persuading anyone of the merits of one position or the other are probably futile, anyway.

SQ 744.  Education spending.

I expect this will pass given the fear-mongering about increased taxes.  There's a fair amount of irony when noting that the Tulsa World ran a piece decrying the 'special interest money' coming from the NEA - gasp!  A union from outside the state is spending money in an effort to pass this legislation. At least the money is traceable, something that cannot be said for some right-wind ads as a result of the Citizens United decision.

SQ 746.  Voter ID.

Again, this will pass mainly due to fear of those 'other' people.  You know, the ones who are different from 'ordinary' Oklahomans.

SQ 747.  Term limits.

This will pass.  Why bother to vote a rascal out when terms limits can do it for you?  Or for that matter, if the rival party has a particularly good and effective member in one of these positions, term limits will get rid of him for you.

SQ 748.  Apportionment commission.

I haven't the slightest idea.  Thoughts?

SQ 750.  Reduces number of signatures for initiative petitions.

While Oklahomans like limiting their government, they probably won't prefer such limits for themselves.  This one will pass.

SQ 751.  Engrish as official language.

(Couldn't resist!)  It'll pass, but isn't 'Okie' the official language here?

SQ 752.  Changes Judicial Nominating Commission.

I think this will pass if only due to the language barring lawyers or anyone with a lawyer in their family from being on the commission.  There's a distinct smell about this one, though, and that's the prohibition against serving if some other family member is an attorney.  I have to wonder if that could withstand a court challenge.

SQ754.  Limits legislative appropriations.

This will probably pass because Oklahomans seem to like hobbling their government as much as possible.

SQ755.  Bars sharia law.

Teh stupid.  It hurts.  But it'll pass.

SQ756.  Opts out of federal health care laws.

Ouch!  See above.

SQ757.  Increases surplus revenue deposited into the Constitutional Reserve Fund.

This seems sensible, but while the state is running a deficit, I have to wonder about this one.  But I'll bet on it passing, just barely.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
OpenYourEyesTulsa
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 10:24:49 am »

My prediction:  744 will fail and most others will pass.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:55:54 am »

SQ 744.  Education spending.

Will not pass. Voters are smarter than that.

SQ 746.  Voter ID.

This will pass because it represents common sense, and this election as a whole is a referendum on common sense.

SQ 747.  Term limits.

This will pass. 

SQ 748.  Apportionment commission.

Will not pass because no one understands it and the last thing anyone is going to vote FOR is another commission, committee, or study.  These are now bad words.

SQ 750.  Reduces number of signatures for initiative petitions.

This will pass, because it limits government, and that's the theme of the day.

SQ 751.  English as official language.

This will pass, because it decreases the expense placed on government for doing business.

SQ 752.  Changes Judicial Nominating Commission.

No clue.  I supported it because it adds some additional limits, but there's that word "commission."

SQ754.  Limits legislative appropriations.

This will probably pass, however it's not a good idea.  It will pass because people don't understand that it's simply a knee jerk reaction to 744.  Even though 744 will likely not pass, this unfortunately will, because it uses the term "Limit". 

If passed it would nullify 744, but it would also add language that cannot be repealed to our state constitution. The new language would never allow a measure like 744 (even if it were a good one) to be put into action.  744 may have been a poorly thought out measure, but 754 is an even worse idea. 

I know many of my friends that voted YES on 744 have already told me that they also supported this measure.  When I explained it's purpose to them they were devastated because of their own ignorance.

In a nut-shell 754 disallows any measure that forces an adjustment in state spending dependent on the spending of other states, private entities or organizations.  It's a crappy measure designed to foil a crappy measure.

SQ755.  Bars sharia law.

This will pass, and I will no longer be protected from beating my wife; however, she will continue to beat me!

SQ756.  Opts out of federal health care laws.

This will pass.  It will force a state vs federal challenge where a state SC judge will have to rule on whether or not the federal law can be enforced in Oklahoma based on its constitutionality.  If the ruling goes against federal law it will trigger a constitutional challenge.  Won't really matter after the repeal, but it will establish a precedent that will have to be overcome by future raiders.

SQ757.  Increases surplus revenue deposited into the Constitutional Reserve Fund.

This will not pass even though it may be a reasonable idea.  Unfortunately the terms "Increase" and "Revenue" are used in the same sentence, so this will not pass in this election.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org