A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 04:24:35 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Revenue Collection Streamlined (E-Citations)  (Read 15535 times)
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 07:45:01 am »

I just love the fact that the city admits to having traffic officers whose sole purpose is to generate revenue.

(Of course they admitted that indirectly with the cruisers that have no outside markings or lights and run traffic.)

Dont break the law and you have nothing to worry about.  If you are man enough to speed and drive recklessly, your man enough to suffer the consequences.  They not only do traffic enforcement, they also work traffic accidents, that way it doesnt tie up officers who are responding to other calls. 

Another way to think of it is this: You have no idea if that dodge charger, Crown Vic, Mercury Marauder you are about to pass is an unmarked car or not, so you play it safe and dont pass them.  Even if its not a cop, that unmarked police car "whose sole purpose is to generate revenue" made you slow down and think about if they were a cop or not, thus making that highway just a little bit safer, right?

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 07:47:55 am »

The shopping list for the eCWS (e-tickets) system:

*  Intermec CN3 mobile computer
          o Windows Mobile 5
          o 128MB RAM / 128 MB ROM
          o Verizon EVDO Radio
          o Bluetooth
          o 802.11 b/g WiFi
          o GPS
    * 2 GB MiniSD Memory Card
    * Docks and accessories
    * Zebra RW420 Bluetooth Printer
(motorcycle configuration)
http://www.in.gov/judiciary/jtac/programs/ecws-sysreq.html

The $2,000 per-unit pricetag doesnt include airtime for the Verizon or at&t wireless connection, which (at least in one state) has been linked to excessive web surfing while on the job.

The tickets are laser printed on standard 8 1/2x11" paper, so any "savings" in paper will be wiped out by the expense of buying laser cartridges.

The city council was expected to approve $400,000 of this Thursday.

that particular model of zebra printer you mentioned above is a thermal printer on thermal paper, thus doesnt use ink or a laser cartridge.  We use them at work, and they are fantastic.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 09:04:29 am »

"We are saving lives," City Councilor John Eagleton said. "We have 8 fewer traffic fatalities for 2010 than the average of the previous 10 years. We're saving lives, making Tulsa safer to drive, making money, it's a win."

The success of the program is causing backups in the prosecutor's office, which is planning to hire more people to handle the load.

http://www.newson6.com/story/14390727/tulsa-police

Maybe we need a real accounting to see if all the hidden costs of E-citations end up actually costing more.
And as far as safety, how is exposing officers to more traffic stops per hour "safer" for them?

Where are they writing these 7500 citations?  I rarely see a car pulled over anymore or speed traps for that matter.  As far as 8 less deaths it's got to be dumb luck because Tulsa drivers are definitely not improving.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2011, 09:16:58 am »

Where are they writing these 7500 citations?  I rarely see a car pulled over anymore or speed traps for that matter.  As far as 8 less deaths it's got to be dumb luck because Tulsa drivers are definitely not improving.

Especially the ones on 169.  Wowzers.  I have to make sure my life insurance policy is up to date when I venture out for work and come home everyday.

Anyone in Oklahoma understand the notions of 'passing on the left, slow lane on the right'?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2011, 09:49:56 am »

Dont break the law and you have nothing to worry about.

That's good advice to give a seven-year-old, but we all know even good drivers creep above the speed limit going over a hill, or dont spend a few seconds completely stopped at a red light before making a right turn, and if someone else is intent on capitalizing on that opportunity, they will.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2011, 09:52:49 am »

This will increase or decrease safety depending on how you want to look at it.

#1 its less time the officer will have to ask the person questions standing next to the car.  #2 its less time with people pulled over (rubber neckers).

But on the more dangerous side there will be more stops and more times getting in and out of the car.
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 10:38:58 am »

That's good advice to give a seven-year-old, but we all know even good drivers creep above the speed limit going over a hill, or dont spend a few seconds completely stopped at a red light before making a right turn, and if someone else is intent on capitalizing on that opportunity, they will.

and chances are you will be let off with a warning if your license is valid, tag and insurance is current.  I would say 99.8% of officers would not pull someone over for going 1-3mph over the limit coasting downhill.  If they do, fight it, its simple.  For the most part, their radar guns arent that accurate.  And although laser is, they arent going for people going 1-5mph over.  They want the big fish 15+ mph over.  I have driven past HUNDREDS of cops without wearing my seatbelt or rolling a stop sign, and have yet to been given even a long stare, let alone pulled over.

I encourage you guys to fill out a ride along waiver and go ride with a tulsa police officer.  If you need a name of who to ride with, let me know.  Your perception of them will be different.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 10:55:09 am »

Anyone in Oklahoma understand the notions of 'passing on the left, slow lane on the right'?

I haven't found any.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 10:58:06 am »

or dont spend a few seconds completely stopped at a red light before making a right turn

I'd like to see some drivers at least do a "right turn on red after hesitation" compared to what I often see which is more like "what red light".  Same thing with stop signs.  Whenever I approach a stop sign, I check my rear view mirror.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 10:58:55 am »

Me if everyone would get the hell out of my way.
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 11:03:02 am »

and when merging on the highway, either slow down, speed up or move to the other lane.  Don't go the same speed as me where I can't merge, its not a difficult concept!

"You cant solve Stupid." 
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2011, 11:18:28 am »

and when merging on the highway, either slow down, speed up or move to the other lane.  Don't go the same speed as me where I can't merge, its not a difficult concept!

That's what turn signals are for.  You may enter the highway at any speed you want, as long as it's different than the main flow of through traffic, as long as you put on your turn signal.  The object is to make as many through drivers take evasive action as possible.  That's why the yield sign faces the entering traffic.  It tells you that the through drivers will yield to you.  The concept that the entering merging traffic should change their speed to blend into through traffic is absurd.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 11:34:02 am »

If they would just make the shoulders a little wider, I'd use them more for passing.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 11:38:12 am »

If they would just make the shoulders a little wider, I'd use them more for passing.

You could get a smaller vehicle.  You might not live too long driving it though.

Cheesy

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 11:42:33 am »

You could get a smaller vehicle.  You might not live too long driving it though.

Cheesy

That's what murdercycles are for.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org