A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 09:45:59 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW Nelson's Buffeteria  (Read 7531 times)
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 03:40:00 pm »

Odd move, they where busy anytime they where open from downtown and the neighborhood around them. Most have lost the lease or something.

Thank you,
Robert Town
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 04:42:21 pm »

I used to eat there very regularly in late '60s and through most of the '70s when I worked downtown.  Chicken fried steak was exceptional.  Have tried this version and couple of times, and even with the "glow" of fond memories, it was only 'ok'.  Sadness.

Savoy Restaurant was downtown, too, when I was there and was a place I went to several times a week, starting in 1969.  Sparky, I think was the old cooks name then, was a role model for me - I wanted to be a cantankerous old fart just like him when I grow up.  Getting close...

Kelamis (sp?) family are wonderful people and the new place on south Sheridan (new....LOL...it has been there a long time...) is one I still enjoy, even if I don't get there as often as I would like.  Love the meatloaf!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ronnie Lowe
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 05:03:38 pm »

Years ago my Mother was a secretary at Standard Oil of Indiana and worked in what is now the IBM Building on Boston.  She loved Nelson’s and ate lunch there often.  I can remember her taking me there to initiate me.  I had fond memories of Nelson’s until I returned to Tulsa as an adult and learned that the man who yelled out Chicken Fry was an arch conservative and would also carry on loudly about his political beliefs.  Oh well, I guess radical right wingers are just part and parcel of Tulsa.  God Bless them all.  Just the familiarity of it all is charming.  I have fond memories of just about everything downtown.  I played there when I was a kid living in Tracy Park.  Most of the people in my generation started out downtown.
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 07:53:49 am »

I had fond memories of Nelson’s until I returned to Tulsa as an adult and learned that the man who yelled out Chicken Fry was an arch conservative and would also carry on loudly about his political beliefs.  Oh well, I guess radical right wingers are just part and parcel of Tulsa. 

Awwww..someone was slipping in a political jab...carry on with the real topic of this thread...mental illness shouldn't throw off a thread about greasy American food...
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 08:57:39 am »

FWIW, that is why I stopped going to Nelson's back in the late 80's when I worked downtown. The food was standard fare from the 50's and nothing to keep me coming back when combined with people blurting out political crap.

onward...through the fog
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org