A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2024, 07:14:24 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arena District - Convention Center Hotel  (Read 644 times)
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« on: September 01, 2024, 01:13:45 pm »

They've lifted the curtain on this thing.  Going out to developers for RFQ soon.  Sounds like they'll use same financing mechanism as OKC for the Omni - big TIF, no voter approval.  I assume this means they have ironed out whatever issues have been slowing down the State Farm building purchase for TPD HQ.

I'm glad to see they're looking to go vertical.  The concept shows 30ish stories, translates to 400'-ish of height.  

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/business/city-to-solicit-developers-for-downtown-convention-center-headquarters-hotel/article_0a86be62-6561-11ef-aba5-236b46e9a063.html
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2024, 04:26:11 pm »

Curious what happens to the County Courthouse next door?  I know they have discussed moving it to another location downtown.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2024, 12:54:39 pm »

Really wish we could get a new federal courthouse somewhere else downtown and build this on that spot next to the BOK Center. Would make far more sense as an entertainment district and for concerts (yes its just a few extra feet but this is Tulsa, people circle the lot at Walmart for a half hour to park 10 feet closer).
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2024, 03:48:04 pm »

Really wish we could get a new federal courthouse somewhere else downtown and build this on that spot next to the BOK Center. Would make far more sense as an entertainment district and for concerts (yes its just a few extra feet but this is Tulsa, people circle the lot at Walmart for a half hour to park 10 feet closer).

I've said that for years.  There was a TW article in 2018 about the obstacles surrounding that building: https://tulsaworld.com/news/a-big-development-problem-in-the-middle-of-downtown-why-the-federal-building-might-stay/article_a8a0a2fd-1035-5a13-bea3-d0fe3814acf7.html  Basically USPS owns it and would have to find a new location so the city could buy and demolish it.  By the time they do that we may need another hotel in that area.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2024, 06:59:13 pm »

I've said that for years.  There was a TW article in 2018 about the obstacles surrounding that building: https://tulsaworld.com/news/a-big-development-problem-in-the-middle-of-downtown-why-the-federal-building-might-stay/article_a8a0a2fd-1035-5a13-bea3-d0fe3814acf7.html  Basically USPS owns it and would have to find a new location so the city could buy and demolish it.  By the time they do that we may need another hotel in that area.

Didn't the post office there do a lot of sorting that is now done in OKC?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2024, 09:46:53 pm »

(yes its just a few extra feet but this is Tulsa, people circle the lot at Walmart for a half hour to park 10 feet closer).

And get their car doors dented.

Not Me!  I just wish they had more of the small shopping carts.  Parking way out gives me the opportunity to view more cart corrals to find a small cart.   Grin

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2024, 08:40:28 am »

Didn't the post office there do a lot of sorting that is now done in OKC?

Yes, it's only partially occupied.  Another reason the Post Office should relocate and open this site up for redevelopment.  Hopefully our new mayor will take this up - as horrible as he was Mayor Bartlett was actively working on a plan.  From the TW article:

Under Mayor Dewey Bartlett, the city in 2011 began the process of trying to purchase the Page Belcher building, but the complicated transaction never gained traction.  The plan included having the Tulsa Industrial Authority partner with a private, third-party entity to purchase the building - the estimate then was for $10 million - and lease it back to the federal government over 15 to 18 years.  At the end of the lease, TIA would take take ownership of the building.

Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2024, 04:30:46 pm »

I really like the look of that building!  Hopefully, the final product will somewhat resemble that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org