A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2024, 02:02:23 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Westboro Church protesting Owasso Soldiers funeral tonight  (Read 12752 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2010, 02:45:00 pm »

That's the Owasso Ram symbol.

Seeingn how Owasso Cheerleaders are attracted to the traffic circle, maybe putting a circle up high is their way of helping cheerleaders make it to school.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2010, 02:50:22 pm »

Someone just pointed out to me that one of the Protesters have a sign that says "don't worship the dead".  Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Christians worship (I know, Christians don't really consider it worship, but it really is) Jesus, who died?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2010, 02:52:15 pm »

Someone just pointed out to me that one of the Protesters have a sign that says "don't worship the dead".  Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Christians worship (I know, Christians don't really consider it worship, but it really is) Jesus, who died?

Point of technicality- on the third day he rose again, so he was only dead for three days or 2 1/2 or something close to that.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2010, 02:52:45 pm »

I doubt logic really matters to them.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2010, 03:04:20 pm »

Point of technicality- on the third day he rose again, so he was only dead for three days or 2 1/2 or something close to that.
But he is in heaven now, and to get to heaven you are supposed to die.  Or did he ascend as a full, living being, and is still a living, breathing person?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2010, 03:07:10 pm »

But he is in heaven now, and to get to heaven you are supposed to die.  Or did he ascend as a full, living being, and is still a living, breathing person?

Accoring to scripture, he ascended to Heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father, so my take would be he's alive. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2010, 03:11:52 pm »

Accoring to scripture, he ascended to Heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father, so my take would be he's alive. 
meh, one of those "never was really specified" things, so it is in the eye of the believer.  But I thought the point was funny.
Mike 01Hawk
Civic Leader

Peace be with you

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2010, 03:18:16 pm »

Aren't church tax records public knowledge? I wonder how much the WBC is 'worth'.

Seeing as how that's really what they are after.... $ from assault litigation.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2010, 03:27:06 pm »

meh, one of those "never was really specified" things, so it is in the eye of the believer.  But I thought the point was funny.

Quite funny irony, it wasn't lost on me.

I'm sure God hates us too, Custo he only likes the Westies.

Jammie
Civic Leader

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2010, 05:17:53 pm »

What an awful thing for a church to do! I thought they were all about preaching love and brotherhood! Hopefully this will open a few parishioner's eyes and they'll find a REAL church soon.

The Patriot Guard is a wonderful group and they are so well organized. We're members, but don't join in anymore. They keep the nut jobs from Topeka away from many military funerals. How can anyone be so cruel to take their warped politics and mix it into a funeral where loved ones are grieving? It's groups like that who give churches a bad rep.

Adopt an older pet. Help them remember what it feels like to be loved.
GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2010, 05:32:59 pm »

My kids knew Andrew Looney.  My daughter was in his graduating class and my son remembers him from football.  My wife and daughter are planning to attend the memorial tonight.  My son (aka Seaman Recruit Wagner) and I will be outside.  I'm planning to photograph as much as possible.  The shots will be posted on my Picasa page later tonight.

Your daughter must have been in my son's class.   He knew Andrew too going to back to their days at Mills Elementary, he said he lived a couple of blocks from us and had even been over at our house before.   Living across the street from Mills that is understandable as kids were always in and out of the house back in those days.   

Trust but verify
GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2010, 05:40:22 pm »

I was stationed across the street from the 6th grade center.   

I counted 157 motorcycles that drove by.   

It was heart warming to see the Owasso Community come out to pay their respects to the Looney family and to keep the Westboro crazies at bay. 

My wife was at the First Bank of Owasso parking lot, she said the Owasso Fire Dept had a truck stationed to where the Westboro crazies could get any closer than Freckles.   Then a Big Yellow 4 wheel drive diesel pick up pulled up on the grass in front of the crazies, started reeving up it's engine real loud for about 10 minutes creating a lot of diesel smoke.   She said the police just stood there letting it happen and the crazies finally left.   

Trust but verify
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2010, 07:30:17 pm »

What an awful thing for a church to do!
It's a church in name only. Fred Phelps took it over and turned it into a cult. All of the members are Phelps' family, aside from a couple of trusted non-family lieutenants.

It's all pretty disturbing and it's quite unfortunate the police haven't been able to gather enough evidence of Fred's..proclivities to put him in jail thanks to the cult wall of silence.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2010, 08:48:21 pm »

http://www.owassoreporter.com/articles/2010/06/29/news/doc4c2977123ff8d132928537.txt

here is a video of a portion of the service.

The 2nd young man to speak is his brother, he has a difficult time speaking.

Trust but verify
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org