News:

Long overdue maintenance happening. See post in the top forum.

Main Menu

Guilty pleasure

Started by sgrizzle, October 09, 2007, 03:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kashmir

New to board, but coming out for this one.  I've gotta give a shout out to Gus at Coney Island at 21 and Garnett.
Ask for "squeeze cheese"

RecycleMichael

I have not tried that coney island and yet I live nearby.

I will try it now.
Power is nothing till you use it.

Wingnut

I've been there a few times for lunch. Really good coneys. Cash only!

quote:
Bill's Jumbo Burgers are worthy of song, or at least a limerick or two.

Bills is a really good burger. I like the sign inside..."This is not fast food". I can't believe they have a 2lb burger. It must be like eating a whole meatloaf!

Kashmir

The family that owns it is from Greece originally, so it is not the southwest-style chili so much, but something so, so much better!

My dad was one of his first customers back in 1974/75 is, when him and his buddies would go there for lunch from East Central High School...Gus, the owner, gave them coupons to distribute to classmates and it spread all over the school!  Imagine a bunch of long-haired guys in the parking lot with their Camaro and Mustangs.  Anyway, that's what dad remembers.  Many are still regulars.  They still have these OLD highchairs for kids that are probably 20+ years old but are cleaner than any highchairs I've seen anywhere in town.  Including the one at my house.

As for Goldie's...another favorite.  The husband and I went there a few weeks ago- so comforting.  He tried to order the chili cheeseburger but the waitress said she would not advise it-too greasy.  Now THAT is scary, too greasy from Goldies?[:P]

Anyway, sorry for the long post.  I'm at home with 2 toddlers and sometimes going to this board is like having an adult conversation.

Coneys On!!![:O]

Townsend

quote:
Originally posted by Kashmir  I'm at home with 2 toddlers and sometimes going to this board is like having an adult conversation.

And other times not...bud duh chi

restored2x

I feel half alive.

I'm sitting here trying for the life of me to think of ONE guilty pleasure and can't! This is ticking me off - next week, I'm gonna get a Bill's Jumbo burger. How can I have lived in Tulsa for 13 years and not had one? And I work about a mile from it. That's just wrong.

I'm changing my ways, turning over a new leaf, I'm gonna get an injection of Tulsa and further clog these middle aged arteries. I'm a good person, and gosh-darn-it, I deserve it!

Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by doofus

Don't forget Ike's Chili too, of course. (Great for a hangover lunch!)

I just came from having one of their hickory burgers at the 51st & Union location. Real nice thick and juicy home-style patty.

I swear they put crack in it.  All I can think about is that damn burger and when can I get another.  I might just roll someone for $6 to go get another if I don't have the cash on me tomorrow.  [;)]
"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first" -Ronald Reagan

Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by Kashmir

The family that owns it is from Greece originally, so it is not the southwest-style chili so much, but something so, so much better!

My dad was one of his first customers back in 1974/75 is, when him and his buddies would go there for lunch from East Central High School...Gus, the owner, gave them coupons to distribute to classmates and it spread all over the school!  Imagine a bunch of long-haired guys in the parking lot with their Camaro and Mustangs.  Anyway, that's what dad remembers.  Many are still regulars.  They still have these OLD highchairs for kids that are probably 20+ years old but are cleaner than any highchairs I've seen anywhere in town.  Including the one at my house.

As for Goldie's...another favorite.  The husband and I went there a few weeks ago- so comforting.  He tried to order the chili cheeseburger but the waitress said she would not advise it-too greasy.  Now THAT is scary, too greasy from Goldies?[:P]

Anyway, sorry for the long post.  I'm at home with 2 toddlers and sometimes going to this board is like having an adult conversation.

Coneys On!!![:O]

Jim's Never On Sunday at 21st & Harvard is another great Greek coney place.  You can actually get Greek food there.  I'm a sucker for gyros and rice w/ Greek salad and green beans.
"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first" -Ronald Reagan