News:

Long overdue maintenance happening. See post in the top forum.

Main Menu

Hookah Lounges in Tulsa

Started by oasis812005, October 16, 2007, 02:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oasis812005

Does anyone know of any hookah lounges in Tulsa? I've seen them in Texas, was wondering if there are any in Oklahoma at all? For those that dont know what a hookah lounge is; they are a middle eastern smoking lounge that usually serves tea or coffee along with it.

TheArtist

You might have to ask someone in the local Arab American community.
"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h

Trent

I have heard of something similar over at Shawkat's on 41st and Sheridan. They do something but I don't know if there is a lounge involved. I'm pretty sure they do something outside. I just overheard the conversation.

Rico

Allow me to translate the "hookah lounge"....

A hookah lounge=  1. a Hookah is a water pipe with long extension that are made of tubing...
Usually configured so that several can smoke at the same time.

2. Not sure as to how they are viewed in the Middle East... I was always under the impression they were similar in nature to an "opium den"....

But who knows... with the price and semi-legality of Tobacco this may be the next version of same.

[}:)]

perspicuity85

I don't think it's an actual hookah lounge, but the Cigar Box in Riverwalk Crossing is a popular spot for cold brew and a good cigar.

perspicuity85

Interesting article from http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA070806.01D.hookahlounges.d2a0fe.html

Someone in San Antonio says there are hookah lounges in Tulsa.  Tulsa has a relatively large middle-eastern population for this region of the  US, so it would seem logical.

Social-smoking phenomenon wafts across S.A.

Web Posted: 07/08/2006 12:00 AM CDT

Meena Thiruvengadam
Express-News Business Reporter

It's not until well after dark, when most restaurants and cafes are closing, that business picks up in the city's half dozen or so hookah lounges.

Groups gather around the tall water pipes adorned with woods, metals and at least one long, flexible hose. They puff on flavored tobacco called shisha. They pass. And they hang out.

These social smokers are driving a growing trend in American small business. In recent years, hundreds of hookah lounges — often operated by immigrants from the Middle East —have popped up in big cities like New York, Los Angeles and Chicago and even smaller, quieter locales like Tulsa, Okla, Birmingham, Ala., and Roanoke, Va. .....

TheArtist

quote:
Originally posted by Rico

Allow me to translate the "hookah lounge"....

A hookah lounge=  1. a Hookah is a water pipe with long extension that are made of tubing...
Usually configured so that several can smoke at the same time.

2. Not sure as to how they are viewed in the Middle East... I was always under the impression they were similar in nature to an "opium den"....

But who knows... with the price and semi-legality of Tobacco this may be the next version of same.

[}:)]

I remember when I was in Egypt and Cairo that they were everywhere. Kind of like starbucks here. Dont know what you mean by "opium den"? Course some may say that thier local starbucks is their opium den. Cant start the day without that double frapp to get ya going. [:P]
"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h

Rowdy

I'm wondering if Hookah lounges sort of look like the ambiance of the late Razmo's bar area.

Anyone?

oasis812005

quote:
Originally posted by Trent

I have heard of something similar over at Shawkat's on 41st and Sheridan. They do something but I don't know if there is a lounge involved. I'm pretty sure they do something outside. I just overheard the conversation.

I will have to check them out. I guess this is just another fad in the United States. I remember when oxygen bars were popular. Has there ever been any oxygen bars in Tulsa?

Who Cares

I know Hookah is popular with the college crowd around here. When I went to OU they would have Hookah parties every weeked, and there was a Hookah bar across from campus. Have not seen one in Tulsa though.

TheArtist

quote:
Originally posted by oasis812005

quote:
Originally posted by Trent

I will have to check them out. I guess this is just another fad in the United States. I remember when oxygen bars were popular. Has there ever been any oxygen bars in Tulsa?

I think there was one in Brookside for a time.

cannon_fodder

Yeah, there was an o2 bar in Brookside.
- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.

Goodpasture

The Shish Ka Bob at 31st and Garnett has a hookah but I am not sure if it is for public consumption. I've seen several of the Muslims in the area using it.
When Integrity Matters
www.oakcrestappraisal.com

TheArtist

This just in... Water pipe use just as addictive as smoking. Not that I was going to try it anyway.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/index.php?feed=Science&article=UPI-1-20071017-18320600-bc-us-waterpipes.xml

cannon_fodder

Did anyone have delusions that sucking smoked through water got rid of the nicotine?  I've heard it doesnt get rid of THC either...
- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.