A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 05:38:59 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do different?  (Read 7044 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 09:50:02 pm »

I do love threads like these; they make me wax nostalgic!

Burgers: Hanks
Grocery Store: Sipes, Red Bud, Skaggs
General Stores: TG&Y
News: Channel Six..how could you go wrong with Lee Woodward and King Lionel?
Paper: World
Gas: Derby
Ice Cream: Braums
Mexican: Casa Bonita
Type of car: Pontiac
Special Occasion: Molly Murphys in the early 80s
Drink of Choice: Beer
Radio: KMOD, KAKC, KMYZ

Now:

Burgers: Hanks, Rons
Grocery Store: Warehouse Market
General Stores: What are those?
News: Channel Six..still the best news in town.
Paper: World
Gas: QT
Ice Cream: Still Braums
Mexican: La Mansion
Type of car: Chevrolet
Special Occasion: Haven't had one in a while, but one I do remember recently closed is Mondo's.
Drink of Choice: Beer, 7 and 7
Radio: Sirius Satellite.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 05:44:53 am »

I'd like to add:

Then:

TV Shows: The Carol Burnett Show and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom

Now:

TV Shows: 30 Rock and Meerkat Manor
cks511
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 06:49:18 am »

Cool....

Then TV Shows:  Captain Kangaroo, Big Bill and Omagog, Bonanza, Laugh-In, The Mazeppa Show, Fantastic Theater.

Now:  Weather Channel, Meerkat Manor, Monday night football, ESPN
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 09:14:45 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaMINI

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Tulsa Mini- try the hickory burger at the new Ike's next to Linda Mar.  Not saying it's better than Arnold's it's compairing apples to organges, it's not a griddle burger.  Thick patty, they must put crack in it because I can't quit thinking about it.  Chimi's, eh?  Didn't you used to do some ad work for them?  It's ringing a bell.  

We've tried Ike's a couple of times. Haven't had the burger yet.

And, you're freaking me out. How would you know about me and Chimi's advertising? That was a long time ago...

I'm telapathic, or was that psychopathic?  I sent you a PM.  I'm an old ad vet.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 03:27:01 pm »

THEN:
Burgers: Pennington's
Grocery Store: Sipe's, Scagg's, Humpty Dumpty(!)
News: KTUL
Paper: Tribune and World
Gas: Phillips 66 or Conoco ("Fill 'er up with Ethel!")
Ice Cream: Swenson's
Mexican: Didn't eat it back then
Type of car: 1969 Olds Toronado
Special Occasion: Picadilly (seriously!)

NOW:
Burgers: Ron's
Grocery Store: Reasor's
News: KWGS FM 89.5
Paper: Tulsa World and Urban Tulsa
Ice Cream: Braum's
Mexican: Senor Tequillas for happy hour margaritas; Mexico Lundo for the chicken soup.  Albuquerque, NM for the good stuff...
Type of car: Chevy Prism (My "sexy" car!)
Special Occasion: Any one of several local places...and I've just discovered the steak at Molly's Landing.  Not in Tulsa, and I'm not big on the "rustic" atmosphere...but the steak sure melts in your mouth!

Steve
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2007, 07:04:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

Have any "family" or longtime Tulsa ways changed since you were a kid?

Heck they changed regularly WHEN I was a kid lol.

Were there things that were "religion" that were usually not deviated from in your parents household vs. your own household?

I guess I am old school.  I was born in 1957 in OKC and raised in Tulsa.  ALL of my childhood friends had 2 parent households where the mother stayed at home.  I don't recall any of my playmates that had divorced parents.  Heck, I was raised Roman Catholic so divorce wasn't in our vocabulary.  Our dads went off to the office grind every day, and mom stayed home to cook, clean house, drive we kids around, and be Cub Scout den mothers and PTA/school volunteers.  May seem very idealistic and cliche now, but it was a "wonderful life" at least until I turned 13 when my father died, and I am sure I am a better adult for it.  After dad come home from work and our school homework was done, the TV went off and we sat around the kitchen table to a family, home-cooked dinner EVERY night.  To eat out at a restaurant was a rare, special treat.  It really was an idealistic "Leave It To Beaver" sort of life, and I am glad I was a part of it.  But you know, it is not so out of reach for families today, if they would reexamine their priorities and budget funds properly.  

Of course all was not a bed of roses, in my own life or that of others.  Dirty laundry was not talked about then; you just accepted your situation and moved on.  You kept up appearances, which may or may not have been a good thing, but if I had to relive my childhood, I don't think I would change a thing except for my parent's premature deaths.
Goodpasture
Citizen

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2007, 08:14:55 am »

You are all so young.............

Burgers: Hardens (Johnny the Gyp) on 11th.
Grocery Store: Piggly-Wiggly (SE corner of Admiral and Harvard); Later on McCartney's.
General Merchandise: Oertles, Oklahoma Tire, Ben Franklin
News: Tribune and Channel 8 (once we got a TV)
Paper: Tribune
Gas: Skelgas, delivered to the farm
Ice Cream: Schively's (where Al's Subs are now, or the ice cream store in Dawson (closed in 56 if I recall)
Mexican: There wasn't any
Type of car: Hudson
Special Occasion: Borden's Cafeteria in Sheridan Village, Jamil's

Added: I recall dad coming home with a TV a couple of days after the night he heard on the radio that Gunsmoke was no longer going to be broadcast on radio, but was going to be a TV show.

Now
Burgers: Hardens on 4th and Sheridan (Johnny passed a few years ago)
Grocery Store: Wal-mart for staples, Beef and pork from McKinney's in Yale, Milk from Swans, produce from garden or Conrad's.
News: CNN
Paper: Oklahoman
Ice Cream: Braum's
Mexican: made at home....restaurants don't do it
Type of car: Dodge pick up
Special Occasion: Jamil's

When Integrity Matters
www.oakcrestappraisal.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org