A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2024, 03:59:47 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Barack? Why Not?  (Read 8257 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2008, 09:15:12 am »

1) The caucus is important because the media says it is, the candidates say it is, the population says it is (by paying attention)and because the parties say it is.  I think that is all who are involved.  They are not a tell-all, but certainly the best indication we have to date.

2) The speech was nothing like a Mussolini nor a classical Utopian speech.  Such speeches were charectorized by strong party politics (the PARTY is the way forward, and I am the party!) and frequent fear mongering.  None was present.

His was a very strong speech under any grading system.  Unless, of course, you feel all great speeches are Mussolini-esque.

3) I am, but blatant admission, not that familiar with Obama's politics.  Where do you get the impression that he is a hard-core leftist waiting to shaft the American people?
(and what's more, isn't that exactly what Hillary openly admit to?)

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2008, 09:26:50 am »

I gave some feedback on his speech at the other thread, and do not want to dump too much on him because he does not stir up strong negatives.  Let's talk about the speech over there.

You are right, it is important because the Politicommercial Complex says it is.  It validates the entire rest of the process, which I believe is crooked and broken.  Most people get the futility of our system, and that is why even with 'record' numbers participating Iowans are still a fraction of eligible voters.

Regardless, that Hillary lost by such numbers is amazing.  I hope this helps Edwards, too.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2008, 09:45:07 am »

Well, actually I said all players think it is important.  It is the first indication of the race and takes place in a divided state (not ultra religious, not all urban or rural, not overwhelmingly Democrat nor Republican).  It's importance is over hyped, just like the first anything of the season often gets extra hype.

And the parties choose the system.  They are free to change it as they please and often do State by State.  What system would you prefer to see if not a republican system?

Also, the "Politicommercial Complex" sounds so sinister.  Really, the media uses the politicians to fill some space (free content!) and the politicians use the media for exposure.  It's a match made in heaven as they both use the other (given the nature of both it works to a T).  You can avoid this system in its entirety and get information just from the candidates' websites, but then you only get one side of the story.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2008, 09:57:40 am »

I dispute the notion that the population believes it is important.  To we who care and pay attention it is interesting and gives us something to talk about but most people pay it all no mind.  As a political exercise it is not without meaning, but the idea that the general population finds the caucus is important is like saying most people think Britney is important.  Most Iowans think so little of the process they do not even participate.
FOTD
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2008, 12:05:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

OH BAM AH!!!

Hillary must be madder than when Monica's blue stained dress stained her power.

It's about momentum. Will he carry on?

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/group/ObamaHQFeature

"This is a huge moment. It’s one of those times when a movement that seemed ethereal and idealistic became a reality and took on political substance."

sorry dude...Barack is crooked.  You can see it in his face.  You can see it in his hands.  He symbolizes all of the slackers out there who have essentially done nothing but ride a wave of entitlement.  His stance on illegal immigration is atrocious.  You watch, if this SOB gets elected he will drop a bomb on the American public when his extreme left wing views raise their ugly head.

Fortunately this guy is just a flash in the pan.

That's rich with nonsense......look what we've been saddled with for 7 pathetic years by the son of alcoholics, one himself, and a man uncapable of making the right decisions. Our current person in the White House has swung us past far right and while some of Obama's views lean left, if you study his positions many are the same as conservative republicans.

Try to be brave. Confront your politics of fear. Try optimism.

Unless you'd prefer Billary....
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org