A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 05:25:28 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I can't wait for October 10th  (Read 10166 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2007, 11:27:28 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Friendly Bear

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

I agree Ed.

I don't ever remember an idea that has split our town more than this. Good people on both sides are acting as if this was the most important vote of their life.

It is only four tenths of a penny. The third penny sales tax that we vote on every five years is two and a half times that.

Only ten more days...

FB's Crystal Ball says:

The local price of gasoline will not rise until October 11.  

Reason being:  The local favors trading consortium wants to hold down the gasoline price until after the Kaiser River Tax election to make people feel more prosperous.

More willing to GIVE of themselves every time they purchase a good in Tulsa County over the next 7 years.

Every time gas takes a jump of 10 - 15 cents per gallon, people feel squeezed.

The local ruling Oligarchs definitely do NOT want people to feel squeezed on Oct. 9.  They want them feeling PROSPEROUS, and to Vote Yes For the Children.

So, watch for the next gas hike to take place Oct. 11, to pay back Quick-Rip and Chester the Jester for all their enourmous help in trying to pass the River Tax.

Watch and see.

FB predicts it will jump towards the end of next week.  Probably Thursday.

Um, the price went down today, not up.

rwarn17588
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2007, 11:55:49 am »

Friendly Bear wins the Booby Prize of the week.

That's because of his fearless prediction that Tulsa's oligarchy or monarchy or whateverarchy maintaining so-called "Tulsa Premium" would hold gas prices down before the river-tax vote, then raise them again on Thursday.

Whether this rant was made with spittle-flecked lips is not known. But I digress.

It's Thursday, and my local QuikTrip has DROPPED the price in the past two days.

Well, I thought, maybe this is an outlier. What's it doing all over town?

Citing tulsagasprices.com, RecycleMichael noted that QuikTrip prices were $2.53 a gallon on Tuesday.

Using the same Web site, I can see that the price at QuikTrips is now $2.49 a gallon -- a drop of four cents.

Maybe Bear misspoke and said prices would drop. [}:)]

What do you think about that?

Hmmmnnnh? [}:)]

Tulsa is a town where the cost of living is among the lowest in the nation, with low commute times, wildly affordable housing, in a state where the tax burden ranks in the bottom 20 percent of the United States.

If that's the Tulsa Premium, I want more, please.

[}:)]
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2007, 12:33:33 pm »

QT probably dropped the price based on a calculation of how much less their donation to River Parks will be now due to the tax not passing. [Tongue]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
chesty
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2007, 12:57:41 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

Tulsa is a town where the cost of living is among the lowest in the nation, with low commute times, wildly affordable housing, in a state where the tax burden ranks in the bottom 20 percent of the United States.

If that's the Tulsa Premium, I want more, please.

Tulsa is in a state that has the 4th lowest tax burden in the country,  this is true.  Tulsa County has a total tax burden that is highest in the state, and higher than all 7 neighboring states.

How's that a good deal, or more importantly, how is that going to attract companies to come to Tulsa?
rwarn17588
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2007, 01:42:23 pm »

There are plenty of cities that have high tax burdens that no trouble attracting corporations. Look at New York, Chicago and San Francisco.

It takes more than low tax burdens to attract companies. Sometimes it's the infrastructure. Sometimes it's the type of work force that exists there.

Sure, Tulsa has higher taxes than, say, a small town like Erick. That doesn't change the fact that Tulsa has one of the lowest cost-of-living indexes of metro areas in the country.

(And, yes, this includes taxes. I can attest. I saw my property taxes go down by hundreds of dollars when I moved here from Illinois, in spite of the fact I bought a more expensive and better home.)

Although Erick has low taxes, you don't see companies beating down its door -- at all. You need more -- a lot more -- than small taxes to draw corporations. Even though I have friends in Erick, I have no desire to live there. Big cities have amenities and benefits that small towns don't. That's why I -- and hundreds of thousands of others -- are here.
Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2007, 08:03:28 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by doofus

Good to know, about the 70k barrels of oil processed daily at Sinclair. Does it present any particular terrorism concerns for those of us living close to it?

And one more question: is the refinery at Ponca City still in operation? (Seems like there was another one west of Ponca City too??)

..just curious

The Conoco-Phillips Ponca City Refinery is the largest refinery in the state.

Still producing lots of gasoline.........
Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2007, 08:14:32 pm »

quote:

There are plenty of cities that have high tax burdens that no trouble attracting corporations. Look at New York, Chicago and San Francisco.

It takes more than low tax burdens to attract companies. Sometimes it's the infrastructure. Sometimes it's the type of work force that exists there.

Sure, Tulsa has higher taxes than, say, a small town like Erick. That doesn't change the fact that Tulsa has one of the lowest cost-of-living indexes of metro areas in the country.

(And, yes, this includes taxes. I can attest. I saw my property taxes go down by hundreds of dollars when I moved here from Illinois, in spite of the fact I bought a more expensive and better home.)

Although Erick has low taxes, you don't see companies beating down its door -- at all. You need more -- a lot more -- than small taxes to draw corporations. Even though I have friends in Erick, I have no desire to live there. Big cities have amenities and benefits that small towns don't. That's why I -- and hundreds of thousands of others -- are here.

This past Friday, October 12, the local Conoco-Phillips Fiesta Marts in south Tulsa were posting an unleaded Gasoline price of:

$2.59 per gallon.

[:O]
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2007, 08:19:44 pm »

The Quik Trips in south Tulsa were $2.49 on Friday and Saturday.

Doesn't this disprove your theory on monopoly pricing and river conspiracy?

If I were you, I would admit I was wrong and try to save face...

You will be bear-ly able to claim any credibility if you don't.

Power is nothing till you use it.
inteller
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2007, 08:58:53 pm »

quote:

Pryor has Google....tulsa does not....enough said.
rwarn17588
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2007, 09:51:11 pm »

Meanwhile, F.B., the price of gas at QuikTrips are $2.47 or $2.48 a gallon on Saturday.

That's a drop of one to two cents since Thursday.

Some conspiracy.

Give it up, dude.

Or should I call you:

Booby Prize Winner?

rwarn17588
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2007, 10:48:38 am »

Inteller, here's my own quote:

"It takes more than low tax burdens to attract companies. Sometimes it's the infrastructure."

One of the big reasons Google located to Pryor was because of its *power infrastructure*.

And do you think Google would have bothered to locate in Pryor if a big metro city like Tulsa wasn't less than 40 miles away? I don't.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2007, 11:27:12 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:

Pryor has Google....tulsa does not....enough said.

Pryor, a community of only about 9,000, has 2 annual festivals that draw roughly 100,000 people to their community and they didn't need to build a 200 million dollar icon to do it. To  put things into perspective, that would be like Tulsa having an annual festival that drew around 4 million people to the city yearly.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
chesty
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2007, 03:05:41 pm »

Pryor also has Mid-America Industrial Park which has expanded so much in the last few years that they are just about at full employment.  They have attracted several divisions of international companies that do things such as manufacture all the wire harnesses for the Boeing 787 and many Airbus aircraft as well as US military contracts.

Too bad Tulsa couldn't get those companies.  But of course you don't need a four wheel drive to negotiate their streets (that's just a touch of sarcasm, but not too far from the truth for some streets).
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2007, 04:10:25 pm »

Tulsa also has full employment. Part of the problem we are having is recruiting PEOPLE, not companies.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2008, 07:58:31 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Friendly Bear

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

I agree Ed.

I don't ever remember an idea that has split our town more than this. Good people on both sides are acting as if this was the most important vote of their life.

It is only four tenths of a penny. The third penny sales tax that we vote on every five years is two and a half times that.

Only ten more days...

FB's Crystal Ball says:

The local price of gasoline will not rise until October 11.  

Reason being:  The local favors trading consortium wants to hold down the gasoline price until after the Kaiser River Tax election to make people feel more prosperous.

More willing to GIVE of themselves every time they purchase a good in Tulsa County over the next 7 years.

Every time gas takes a jump of 10 - 15 cents per gallon, people feel squeezed.

The local ruling Oligarchs definitely do NOT want people to feel squeezed on Oct. 9.  They want them feeling PROSPEROUS, and to Vote Yes For the Children.

So, watch for the next gas hike to take place Oct. 11, to pay back Quick-Rip and Chester the Jester for all their enourmous help in trying to pass the River Tax.

Watch and see.

FB predicts it will jump towards the end of next week.  Probably Thursday.

Tulsa now has the lowest priced gasoline in the nation, average of $2.70 vs a national average of $2.98

So much for your conspiracy. Not only did gas not rise on October 11th, it's continued to fall relative to the national average.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org