A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 10:21:25 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay marriage in California  (Read 10175 times)
mr.jaynes
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 12:43:54 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

quote:
Originally posted by mr.jaynes

quote:
Originally posted by deinstein

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist
As for getting married.... I can't even find a decent date in this town.

No crap.

Oh, a decent person to date is out there, it's just a matter of a person having standards and being just as willing to live up to them.

I like to think I do that lol. The trick is finding someone else out there that can do that.

Oh and thanks TU Robby. Just what I need some 20 something who has someone, telling me a 40 something who has never had anyone, to be patient lol. Niiiice lol.

However... I do have 2 kitties. But its just not the same. Conversations are so one sided, they never seem to really get me and understand what I go through when I tell them about my day. They tend to stay out all night doing who knows what and running around with who knows who. They rarely pull their own weight. I am constantly picking up after them. Yet its my income that pays the bills. And then they even have the nerve to get picky about what they eat. While they are out playing in the evenings, after having laid around like bums all day, I usually end up sitting at home each night after a hard days work, on the couch, nursing a bout of self-pity with a gallon of chocolate ice cream, watching old movies... alone...

Ok, well perhaps it is like a real relationship. lol

My thing is-and this may help you, Artist (I like to think so, anyway)-is that I can look around at the dating scene in Tulsa, and I do find it lacking in quality people, but they are out there. i know because I've seen some quality people since returning here. They're taken, of course, by other quality people, but if they weren't, I'd vie for them.

As for having standards, I'm not perfect and thus I do not seek perfection. But I do like some reciprocity. If they require respect and honesty from me, I'm going to require that I get it back to me.

You're a cat-fancier too, eh?  

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 08:32:09 am »

It's true the (straight) dating scene in Tulsa for a LTR is not good. However for a one night stand with a girl Tulsa is not bad. Tulsa seems to have alot of one night stands and few people who are interested in long term commitments. or so it seems to me.[B)]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 09:43:39 pm »

Sounds like you've been hanging out at Elephant Run...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2008, 10:34:51 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

Gay marriage is not only wrong and not needed but it will open the door to anything goes in the future. A man can marry his brother, sister or have 3 wives or marry his dog it'll be anything goes. I'm against gay marriage.

Do you have any interest in defending your position?

1) Why is it wrong?

2) Why do you think it will enable incests, bestiality, or polygamy (technically polygamy is legal, bigamy is not)?    

And if it did, why is that wrong?

3) Why is it not needed?
- - -

I would just like to try to understand why you have the opinion that you do.  If it is purely religious conviction or you just don't like gay people that will probably be the end of the discussion (clearly not things I can influence nor that are influential on me).  But if there is a base reason I'd be curious to see what it is.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2008, 10:50:08 am »

IMO being gay just isn't right. I don't think there is anything natural about it.  But, this is just my personal opinion.  If someone things that being gay is right for them, then to each their own (as long as I don't have to see two guys making out [xx(] ).  As far as gay marraige, I think the government intrudes on this rite too much as it is.  Just because I don't think that being gay is right, doesn't give me the right to force that belief on others.  Just as because I think the entire human race should bow down and except me as their rightful owner, doesn't make it right that I will force them to when I build my army.  Uh, I think I just said too much....
mr.jaynes
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2008, 01:32:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by custosnox

IMO being gay just isn't right. I don't think there is anything natural about it.  But, this is just my personal opinion.  If someone things that being gay is right for them, then to each their own (as long as I don't have to see two guys making out [xx(] ).  As far as gay marraige, I think the government intrudes on this rite too much as it is.  Just because I don't think that being gay is right, doesn't give me the right to force that belief on others.  Just as because I think the entire human race should bow down and except me as their rightful owner, doesn't make it right that I will force them to when I build my army.  Uh, I think I just said too much....

Love who you love.
movingtotulsa
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2008, 02:01:25 pm »

I wonder why all the Christians who are so oppesed to gay marriage are not up in arms when a divorcee remarries. Afterall, this is considered adultry for a divorced woman while her first husband is still alive. I believe the grandmaster of hate, Paul, put adultry and homosexuality in the same boat.

As for destroying the sanctity of marriage: the conservatives need to look no futher then their beloved Rush Limbaugh. Married and divorced 3 times, I believe.

I love my lesbian daughter and I would never disown or disavow her because of some wandering nomad's writings in an Middle Eastern desert some 4000 years ago.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2008, 02:32:30 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by movingtotulsa

I love my lesbian daughter and I would never disown or disavow her because of some wandering nomad's writings in an Middle Eastern desert some 4000 years ago.

My late but no less beloved and favorite uncle was gay, and I adored him no matter who he was, and I in turn was his favorite among my siblings and cousins. And the fact that he was gay never mattered to me for one moment. I still get all misty-eyed even now when I think of him, but I also find myself celebrating his life too. It is due to my ties with him that I favor gay rights as well as doing what I can in the fight against AIDS (the complications of which he'd-I dare say tragically- died from years ago).

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 02:37:15 pm by mr.jaynes » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2008, 05:54:06 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by movingtotulsa

I wonder why all the Christians who are so oppesed to gay marriage are not up in arms when a divorcee remarries. Afterall, this is considered adultry for a divorced woman while her first husband is still alive. I believe the grandmaster of hate, Paul, put adultry and homosexuality in the same boat.

As for destroying the sanctity of marriage: the conservatives need to look no futher then their beloved Rush Limbaugh. Married and divorced 3 times, I believe.

I understand your feelings. But I think some humility, patience, thoughfulness, listening and understanding on both sides of the issue would go a long way.

Just as you love and cherish your daugher, many people love and cherish their religion and its scriptures as a way of understanding, and shared community with others. I think people basically want to be good and want what is good, its just their understandings of how to go about those things that may not be perfect. That includes understanding the Bible and others,,,including some wandering nomad from thousands of years ago.

Nobody is perfect but I find if I truly want people to learn from me, its best not to push them away. If I am a "good" person and I push someone away,,, from whom will they then learn? I also recognize that I am not perfect and have much to learn and always try to embrace learning and growing, though at times it can be uncomfortable and disconcerting,,, when I face those feelings and I discover some deeper meaning or truth the reward is worth it. So I try to embrace them. By doing so I show others how to do so as well. Hopefully, in such a way, through the better angels in all of us we can come to some clearer understanding that alone we could not achieve.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 05:57:43 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2008, 11:43:14 pm »

quote:

(as long as I don't have to see two guys making out [xx(] ).

As a heterosexual, I'm no more interested in watching a man and woman make out than two men. [Tongue]

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
rwarn17588
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2008, 11:46:10 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by nathanm

quote:

As a heterosexual, I'm no more interested in watching a man and woman make out than two men. [Tongue]

But a lot of heterosexual men like to see two women making out. Go figure.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2008, 10:47:40 am »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

quote:
Originally posted by nathanm

quote:

My theory is, men want to be between them, or something along those lines. Still trying to decide.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2008, 10:54:05 am »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

I considered including a quip along those lines, but realized that I don't really care to see that, either. I guess I just don't particularly enjoy (nor am I offended by, as I do have control over where I cast my gaze) watching people of any gender or combination of genders engage in such activity.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org