A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 12:31:12 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honeysuckle in Tulsa?  (Read 3219 times)
bugo
Civic Leader

« on: May 18, 2008, 03:47:11 am »

I was outside today and a flowery odor wafted my way.  It smelled like honeysuckle.  Does honeysuckle grow in Tulsa?  If not, what was it?
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 03:48:15 am »

quote:
Originally posted by bugo

I was outside today and a flowery odor wafted my way.  It smelled like honeysuckle.  Does honeysuckle grow in Tulsa?  If not, what was it?

It sure does. I've seen it along the creek turnpike trail.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
waterboy
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 08:08:28 am »

Grows like a weed on my fences. On a calm day the smell is awesome. Bees like them too.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 05:03:33 pm »

Indeed we do have Honeysuckle. But there is another type of plant that grows around here as a large bush with tiny leaves and tiny white flowers that is very strongly sweet smelling and it smells a lot like honeysuckle. There is some in my neighborhood and its blooming now so could have been that if you dont see the honesuckle.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 06:02:49 pm »

Oh good lord yes honeysuckle grows in Tulsa.  I spent many warm summer evenings as a youngster in my Ranch Acres backyard picking honeysuckle blossoms with my siblings and other kids in the neighborhood to drink the nectar.  It's all over the place.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 03:41:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd

Oh good lord yes honeysuckle grows in Tulsa.  I spent many warm summer evenings as a youngster in my Ranch Acres backyard picking honeysuckle blossoms with my siblings and other kids in the neighborhood to drink the nectar.  It's all over the place.

I was thinking about that just the other day. We did the same thing.  How you'd try for that one tiny drop of honey-like nectar.  Our neighbors had a great big honeysuckle growing all around their fire hydrant.  

It attracted kids and dogs in equal measure...
Steve
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 04:15:47 pm »

Honeysuckle grows like crabgrass in Tulsa.  Every time I mow my back yard, I spend about 15 minutes clipping down the honeysuckle that creeps through my back neighbor's yard over the wood fence.  If it didn't attract wasps, I wouldn't be that concerned about it.
inteller
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:41:34 pm »

cedar ridge country club covers their fences in it.  go to 101st/garnett sometime.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 10:30:35 am »

Are you guys saying user name Honeysuckle has been putting on weight?  That isn't very nice.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org