A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 04:27:59 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy Memorial Day  (Read 1864 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: May 25, 2008, 08:16:54 am »

For most Americans, Memorial Day is a day away from the office or school and a chance to cook burgers. But we should remember the reason why the holiday exists. It commemorates U.S. men and women who perished while in military service to their country.

I am undeniably a peace activist and want to do anything to avoid war. But my idealism is tempered with realistic understanding that when conflict breaks out, somebody has to step forward and risk their life. Those who do deserve much more than just one day a year for us to say thanks, so let's make that day count.

I don't have the inner capacity nor the writing skills to express what I think needs to be said to properly thank the families who lost a loved one due to war. The fallen soldiers we honor with this national holiday should never be forgotten. Please stop for a moment and quietly think about the sacrifice these heroes have made in our past that allowed you and I to enjoy our lives today.

Power is nothing till you use it.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:42:49 am »

+1
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 08:55:28 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

For most Americans, Memorial Day is a day away from the office or school and a chance to cook burgers. But we should remember the reason why the holiday exists. It commemorates U.S. men and women who perished while in military service to their country.

I am undeniably a peace activist and want to do anything to avoid war. But my idealism is tempered with realistic understanding that when conflict breaks out, somebody has to step forward and risk their life. Those who do deserve much more than just one day a year for us to say thanks, so let's make that day count.

I don't have the inner capacity nor the writing skills to express what I think needs to be said to properly thank the families who lost a loved one due to war. The fallen soldiers we honor with this national holiday should never be forgotten. Please stop for a moment and quietly think about the sacrifice these heroes have made in our past that allowed you and I to enjoy our lives today.

Well stated.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Steve
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 04:24:27 pm »

quote:

You are so right Recyclemichael, on all points.  My father was a WWII veteran, serving in Austria/Germany in the European Theater.  He died of a coronary when I was just 13 years old.  My mother died when I was 17, during my senior year in high school in 1974. They are buried out at Calvary Cemetary at 91st & Harvard.  I went out to their graves today, laid flowers, and paid my respects.  I do this often, not just on "Memorial Day," but to pay my respects as parents, veterans, and great human beings.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 04:27:19 pm by Steve » Logged
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 04:54:07 pm »

I think this says it well:

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."...........George Orwell

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 05:30:11 pm »

My grandfather was in the Marines third division that landed on Iwo Jima. A month and 28,000 American casualties later, The Allied forces took the Island.

He was one of the only survivors in his unit and told me he spent the first two days in the ocean under fire.

When he passed away when I was in high school, I felt like I had lost my only hero. The ceremony where they present the flag to his widow was a moment that changed my life. I will never forget him.

Power is nothing till you use it.
1099paralegal
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 05:51:01 pm »

Merlin's Miracles

Steve
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 07:42:28 pm »

quote:

My grandfather was in the Marines third division that landed on Iwo Jima. A month and 28,000 American casualties later, The Allied forces took the Island.

He was one of the only survivors in his unit and told me he spent the first two days in the ocean under fire.

When he passed away when I was in high school, I felt like I had lost my only hero. The ceremony where they present the flag to his widow was a moment that changed my life. I will never forget him.

The greatest loss I feel over my lifetime is that my parents died when I was so young.  My father born in 1925, drafted into the Army in 1943, died when I was only 13, in Jan. 1971.  I have so many questions to ask him, about his WWII experiences, but I will never have that opportunity.  My mother, born in 1923 and lived through the depression and WWII on the home front, died in November 1974, my senior year at Nathan Hale HS in Tulsa.  Youth today should cherish their parents for the history and insight they may provide.  I would give anything if my parents were still alive today and the conversations we could have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org