A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 01:29:14 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Layoffs at Fox 23  (Read 13566 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 09:04:34 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gold

5/23 really isn't very good in the ratings

"In the February 2008 Nielsen ratings, Fox 23 News had significant growth in all newscasts. Fox 23 News at Nine was ranked 2nd overall in late news behind KOTV and ahead of KTUL and KJRH. Fox 23 was named the number one Fox affiliate in the country, according to the November 2007 Nielsen ratings."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koki

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 12:24:38 am »

I think I was misunderstood earlier.

I was saying that I do watch Fox 23, but not simply because of Chera or because of the time that it comes on. I watch it because I prefer the content, personalities, graphics, etc.

I feel like it's more young and cheerful than the others. I like Chera and Clay and I really enjoy Ron Terrell, both personally and on the air.

Jon Slater is a nice guy as well and I'm sad to see him go.

Fox 23 is without exception my favorite and is the only local station on which I have advertised. I have done advertising with Ben Sumner's local late night show which now airs on a different station, but I advertise through his show, not through the station.

Anyway. . . wanted to clear than up. I'm a fox fan. Sorry if I was unclear before.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 06:15:08 am »

quote:
Originally posted by naenae42day

quote:
Originally posted by JoeMommaBlake

I like the Fox newscast. I don't watch it because it's at 9 or because of Chera. I just like it better than the same old stuff from the other stations same old reporters....no offense.

Because of Chera...how could anyone find her to be anything but charming.  And not to attack, but you don't watch it, but you do advertise on it...do you find the content objectional?  My beef with Fox 23 is more personal...but I do enjoy hearing others opinions.

I personally find her very annoying.  She is a tv personality, however she stumbles on several words during every story.  The worst I have ever seen.  I laugh everytime I hear her talk.  Very annoying on how often it happens.  Their news is the worst.  I am in the same boat as the guy above who watches KJRH simply because it is in HD.  Their radar weather maps look much better in HD then KTUL or KOTV.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
waterboy
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 06:48:56 am »

quote:
Originally posted by naenae42day

quote:
Originally posted by EricP

I've taken quite a liking to KJRH's news in HD. They even have one of Fox's old guys there. I completely ditched KOTV and Fox 23 other than the occasional skim for weather info over on KOTV.

They have George and Justin.  George is the BOMB!!! He was dealt a crap hand by FOX 23, but I think he is SO much better off.
Fox 23 has lost most of their decent talent.
George, now Jon Slater.  Justin, Jace Verhoeven, Marcus, Noelle Newton, we only see Janna Clark 1x per week, hell I even prefered Ron Terrell when he was the Sports Director.  Seems more his style...I not much for Ann, I think CArrie or Mia do a much cleaner newscast.  But if you want to keep quality people on staff...u have to be willing to pay a competitive wage, and not bend your employees over the 'proverbial
 table'

Jace VerHoeven. He interviewed me on a boat trip on the river back in 2003 re the v2025 project. Don't know if it ever made it to air. I was very impressed with his intelligence, his serious nature and his reporting skills. I hope he landed somewhere he's appreciated.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 06:55:01 am »

I view KOKI as the underdogs and I always root for the underdogs, even when Chera gets "antidepressant" and "antiperspirant" confused.
OkieDiva
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 08:26:49 am »

Anybody remember hearing about the college-esque drinking game created when they first came on air? Take a shot each time an anchor or reporter mispronounces the name of an Oklahoma town or elected official, looks at the wrong camera or wrong video plays... word was, you'd be sloppy by the end of the first commercial break.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 09:48:42 am »

quote:
Originally posted by OkieDiva

Anybody remember hearing about the college-esque drinking game created when they first came on air?

I do remember the Jon Slater drinking game (sort of, I may have been drinking) where you would take a shot whenever he used one of his trademark phrases (like "back-door cold-front").
 Ah, the days.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Gold
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 10:20:24 am »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

quote:

5/23 really isn't very good in the ratings

"In the February 2008 Nielsen ratings, Fox 23 News had significant growth in all newscasts. Fox 23 News at Nine was ranked 2nd overall in late news behind KOTV and ahead of KTUL and KJRH. Fox 23 was named the number one Fox affiliate in the country, according to the November 2007 Nielsen ratings."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koki

Now there's a source.

Fox has poor ratings nationally.  Like I said, ask folks in the tv business and companies that are going under usually go to KOKI when the credit is cut off at KOTV and KTUL.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 10:46:44 am »

quote:

Fox has poor ratings nationally.

I imagine FOX23's "national ratings" might be bad due to it being a local station, so I can see where they might come in kinda fuzzy in Indianapolis [Wink]

But seriously, you do know there is a difference between FOX23 and fox news network?

Samalicious
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 10:55:32 am »

Actually Fox has good ratings nationally. Especially when American Idol is on. You do understand that Fox News, and Fox Network, and Fox 23 are all different entities, right?
And Fox 23 really has no reason to take on deadbeat advertisers, why would they? They have comparable market share to the other three stations.

Fox has poor ratings nationally.  Like I said, ask folks in the tv business and companies that are going under usually go to KOKI when the credit is cut off at KOTV and KTUL.
[/quote]
Gold
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 12:22:06 pm »

American Idol is all they have and its share has been declining.  See earlier discussion of Fox preempting weather in favor of Idol.
Gold
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 12:23:17 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

quote:

Fox has poor ratings nationally.

I imagine FOX23's "national ratings" might be bad due to it being a local station, so I can see where they might come in kinda fuzzy in Indianapolis [Wink]

But seriously, you do know there is a difference between FOX23 and fox news network?

I'm well aware of the difference between Fauxnews and Fox23.  I'm not even sure why you ask.
buck
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 02:42:13 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JoeMommaBlake

Fox 23 is without exception my favorite and is the only local station on which I have advertised. I have done advertising with Ben Sumner's local late night show which now airs on a different station, but I advertise through his show, not through the station.

I've seen your ads, you really get a guy to get a tattoo for a free pizza? Kinda crazy to think there's a guy going around with a tattoo of that on his arm.
On another note, I've enjoyed your announcing at the Talons games this year. I know it is hard to step in after Ken but you've done a great job of keeping things going. Also can't wait to stop in downtown when your new place opens.
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 07:48:17 pm »

Believe it or not, that guy really has that tattoo.  He worked for me at the time and we were sitting around talking about how funny it would be and he said he'd do it. It's nuts....and it's real.

He only worked for me for about two months after that, then he moved back to Texas, which makes it even better.

Thanks for the kudos on the Talons announcing. I'm having a ton of fun with it and feel more comfortable every week. It looks like next home game I'll be again filling some big shoes as I'll be taking over on the field for KC Lupp.

I'm actually kind of nervous about that one.

See you at the game...that goes for all of you. If you haven't been to a Talons game, it's time. If you need tickets, I have 8. First come first serve. PM me or e-mail me.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2009, 09:15:30 pm »

The company that owns them is laying off 33 more and imposing 2-week furloughs.
Those laid off in Tulsa include reporters Marianly Mendez and Caci Christian.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org