A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 04:25:00 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sushi Train-adding tips!  (Read 4872 times)
wildgoose
« on: July 10, 2008, 07:30:23 pm »

Ok all,

I hesitated to post this because it does happen and if you watch your bank statements you will catch it everytime.  Also it is usually small potatoes and I think most might just let it go.  The difference is who rang up my ticket, here's the story,

Wife and I tried Sushi Train, 51st and Harvard, for carry out.  The food was not very good but that is not the reason for this post.  The way it is setup everyone pays the manager/owner at the front when done, so I would expect no chance for a server to add a tip to my ticket, but there while reconciling my bank statement is an additional $3.00!  When I talked to the manager/owner he dug out his copy and someone had written a tip in where the tip goes(I had drawn a straight line through it) and OBVIOUSLY changed the total amount.  He said it looked like my handwriting and maybe I was mistaken.  I had to explain that, the total had without question been changed, and the tip line was poorly forged to work the 3 and oo onto the line I had written across it.

He gave me three bucks and said he didn't want to cause a problem.  The problem as I see it is that it wasn't the server that rang up my ticket but the manager/owner!  So the question is, did they just think I was cheap and should have tipped on carryout or is it a common practice?

danno
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 04:56:19 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by wildgoose

Ok all,

So the question is, did they just think I was cheap and should have tipped on carryout or is it a common practice?

I know that it happens at alot of bars when people don't pay their tabs, but it is really not acceptable to do in my opinion. However, you set yourself up for it by not tipping on carry out. Many people think they should not tip on orders to go, but in reality servers at restaurants are usually required to assemble take out orders and ring them up, so they do some work for it and they have to pay taxes on it.
inteller
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 09:20:04 pm »

i seriously ****in doubt they do $3 worth of packing a carry out order for two.  Server entitlement in this town has really gotten out of control.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 11:36:09 pm »

I do tip on takeout, just not the amount that I tip for full table service.  I do not tip at coffee bar counters or fast food counters.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
booWorld
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 08:33:51 am »

Another example of the high cost of train service in Tulsa...
buzz words
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 10:56:08 pm »

I have served tables for the longest.  Well it seems that way..  Almost every restaurant that has server's require the server to tip 4-6 percent of their sales.  No matter what tip that they receive. If you ring it up you will be tipping out on it. % of sales not % of tip.
inteller
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 08:10:09 am »

quote:
Originally posted by buzz words

I have served tables for the longest.  Well it seems that way..  Almost every restaurant that has server's require the server to tip 4-6 percent of their sales.  No matter what tip that they receive. If you ring it up you will be tipping out on it. % of sales not % of tip.

great communist system you have there.

it isnt like that at all restaurants btw.
Aqxea
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 07:45:55 pm »

I have been wanting to try Sushi Train for a while now but haven't heard that many great things about it.  The atmosphere looks fun but I think the next time I find myself on that side of town and craving sushi, I will give Wasabi a try.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 08:12:06 am »

I enjoy going to the train. It's good when all you want is rolls since you can just select whatever you want.  Some of the sushimi is also just fine, but since I don't really enjoy it I'm probably not the best judge.  Certainly worth a try, but watch the tips apperently.

Inteller:  you are honestly upset enough by the fact that someone tips to-go orders that you drop the F-bomb?  You have an anger problem.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 08:38:03 am »

I love the train.  Eat there at least once a week.  The owner always orders for my wife when she sees us getting out of the car in the parking lot.  Never had any tip problems.  Food is always reasonable and outstanding.

The owners are very gracious.  Don't blame the restaurant for the actions of a bad employee.  

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
bbriscoe
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 03:47:57 pm »

I ate there last night and the server told me she wasn't allowed to work the register.  Only the manager is.  So I guess they cracked down on someone over this.
tnt091605
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 06:59:38 am »

I usually tip 1-3 dollars on to go orders.  Depending on my ticket amount.
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 08:24:04 am »

Go to Wasabi...you get more...better quality...and its actually LESS! REAL SUSHI....
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 10:06:58 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by buzz words

great communist system you have there.

it isnt like that at all restaurants btw.

The IRS requires that claimed tips by tipped employees must equal 4% of gross sales. If the total of claimed tips does not meet the minimum then the restaurant owner can "allocate" tips among the servers, which will appear on their W2 as earned income.

In many restaurants, tips are used in place of salaries. For example, a wait person is paid at 1/2 of minimum wage and are expected to make up the difference (and hopefully more) by ensuring quality service to their guests and acting as the guests' advocate to the restaurant (speeding up the bartender, kitchen, buss staff etc).
In return the wait person tips out to the bar tender, bus person and sometimes the kitchen from their gross tips when they check out at the end of their shift, but they hold the burden of claiming those gross tips to the IRS, not their net "take home" tips.

Adding or altering a tip should not be tolerated by any manager or establishment.

I always tip 20% or better for good to excellent service. If the service is less than desirable I take into account any factors beyond the wait person's control (too many tables, slow kitchen) and weigh their experience before I drop to 15%. Leaving nothing will not entice the wait person to improve, it actually creates the perception that the guest is cheap. A better way to inform the wait person that you were unhappy is to leave a note with specifics or speak to the manager.

Always tip on carry out.
JayRod
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 06:31:13 pm »

I've been in the restaurant business for 7 years in Tulsa now, and was a server for many years. I'm not defending restaurant employees who add in tips, because technically that's illegal, but I will defend servers as a whole regarding the fact that aside from 4% of sales they pay out on, they also have to tip out around 5-10% as well to support staff in a lot of restaurants.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org