A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 01:19:46 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AT&T U-Verse  (Read 77640 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2008, 10:46:53 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Recording 4 shows simultaneously?  If people are as busy as they say they are, when would anyone have the time to sit down and watch?

It's not as if the box is recording 4 things simultaneously 24x7. During primetime there can be multiple shows that various people in the household want to see airing at the same time.

Besides, the point (for me) is to always have something decent to watch, not to watch everything my Tivo records, aside from the few shows I actually care about seeing regularly.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2008, 10:51:24 am »

quote:
Originally posted by nathanm

quote:

Recording 4 shows simultaneously?  If people are as busy as they say they are, when would anyone have the time to sit down and watch?

It's not as if the box is recording 4 things simultaneously 24x7. During primetime there can be multiple shows that various people in the household want to see airing at the same time.

Besides, the point (for me) is to always have something decent to watch, not to watch everything my Tivo records, aside from the few shows I actually care about seeing regularly.

If anything, it actually saves you time.  I can record a 30 minute show, start it at 8 minutes after it started, and it is over at the regularly scheduled ending time.  I start watching a one hour show about 20 minutes into it and it is over when it is supposed to be over as well.  So there is 30 minutes of my life I can devote to other things, like mowing the yard, eating dinner, taking a shower, etc.

There are nights that there is absolutely nothing on to watch (especially during football season).  So I can tape several shows that are on one night a week that I like to watch, and therefor watch them throughout the week.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
Jonette
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2008, 03:00:53 pm »

Well, let's see, the DVR works for me mostly because of my work hours. I work M-F 3P-11P and am on call SAT-SUN 7A-11P. This can interfere with a lot of the current sitcoms and series broadcast during primetime.

I am also not a sportsfan at all, during the different sportseasons I get fed up with every channel broadcasting the same sport,leaving nothing else to choose from. Not EVERYONE is a sports fanatic.

When there are nothing but Presidential debates on every channel, the DVR can be a persons best friend.

It's also nice to watch a 30 minute program in 20 minutes. I just fast forward past the commercials and ZIP I'm done with a program fast and don't have to suffer through the stupid annoying commercials.

Those are the things I like about my DVR.

Soon with U-VERSE:

Being able to watch the DVR programs on different sets will also work well for me because I have 2 kids at home ages 22 and 17 and sometimes we don't all like to watch the same things. Just a little slice of luxury we afford ourselves.

groundhog
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2008, 03:36:13 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TUalum0982

quote:
Originally posted by groundhog

TUAlum:

I've had Uverse for about 3 weeks now and absolutely love it.  There is no lag as there is with Dish when changing channels or using any of the interactive (ie. search) functions.  The system is unaffected by storms, and I've never lost signal. VERY easy to use remote control and GUI.  

Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

Thank you for the review.  If you could answer a couple of questions for me...

1.  Are you able to record two shows at once?

2.  Are you able to watch recorded shows on diff tv's?

3.  Which package do you have? Do you have their internet bundle as well?

I have been told a few diff things by diff people.  I don't really want/need their AT&T internet as I am happy with Cox thus far.  I am just wanting a diff cable provider.  

Thanks again

Woah!  Lot's of people chiming in here. Let me see if I can answer your questions:

1.  Are you able to record two shows at once?

I believe I can record 2 HD shows and 2 SD shows at once.  I also believe that with the "Total Home DVR" firmware upgrade that AT&T is supposed to be beaming to my box in the next month or so (many other markets already have it -- Google THDVR), that I can record more streams than just the 4.  Really, the coolest thing about the DVR, besides the really intuitive, easy to use graphic interface is that I can program the DVR with my mobile phone very, very easily.  Uverse has a mobile site that displays (and works) perfectly on my Blackberry.

2.  Are you able to watch recorded shows on diff tv's?

I only have the 40 inch LCD in the living room, but, yes, I believe that you will be able to do that once THDVR is pushed to my unit.

3.  Which package do you have? Do you have their internet bundle as well?

I have the U200 package with VOIP phone and 6 MB download speed.  It costs me $125/month for all three. They brought in a new wireless router which controls the whole shebang. The VOIP phone is pretty cool as I can review the Called ID on the Uverse TV and I can listen to my voicemail messages from the web. No difference in quality.  I can also view a slideshow of the photos in my Flickr account on my big screen through Uverse as well as get on demand stocks, weather, and traffic.

If you have other questions, feel free to private message me.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2008, 05:13:27 pm »

I just got the phone/internet/cable U verse. I am taking advantage of the cable trial offer on the bedroom T.V. For all this I will be paying less than I was paying to Cox for cable alone with a comparable channel lineup. One of the few drawbacks(for me, at least) is no TGOV, though.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Jonette
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2008, 05:48:05 pm »

Yeah, I forgot no TGOV.

Also, like I said earlier, no NEWSNOW53 either.

MDepr2007
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2008, 06:56:51 pm »

I am hoping AT&T is about to hit my neighborhood soon. I keep getting postcards from Cox telling me they are upgrading our area or something so they can now offer us more soon. This after always saying their cable was already the best to carry everything...hmmph
New and improved I suppose.

I guess who ever is first gets to keep my business[Wink]
Steve
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2008, 06:56:52 pm »

quote:

I have the U200 package with VOIP phone and 6 MB download speed.  It costs me $125/month for all three.

A $125 per month, that is $1,500 a year.  I just can't fathom spending that much money on what amounts to unnecessary luxury communications, unless you can write it off as a business expense.  To each his own, of course, but from my point of view you are the sucker these companies crave.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2008, 07:26:25 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Still no Uverse in the 15th & Harvard area.

Anyone know what kind of progress they are making on expanding?  I'm not 100% certain I'll change from Cox, but no sense wasting a whole lot of time thinking about it when it's not even an option for me yet.

It's available in Lewiston Gardens(15th to 21st, Lewis to the B.A.)

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2008, 09:44:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jonette

Yeah, I forgot no TGOV.
Also, like I said earlier, no NEWSNOW53 either.

Those are both Cox-only channels.
The shortsightedness of some of our local government assumes everyone has cable, but there is *talk* of TGOV someday using a series of tubes to send meetings right to your home on demand!

wow    [Shocked)]

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Jonette
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2008, 11:30:26 pm »

What they assume is that everyone has COX!

The tubes are a GREAT idea!!

Thank Gawd! I gotta have my TGOV!!!!!

Like going to the bank drive-thru but better!

I get to see the meetings and they get to feed me a load of BS.

It's a WIN-WIN situation!!!
[B)]

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 11:32:13 pm by Jonette » Logged
groundhog
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2008, 08:31:30 am »

quote:

quote:

I have the U200 package with VOIP phone and 6 MB download speed.  It costs me $125/month for all three.

A $125 per month, that is $1,500 a year.  I just can't fathom spending that much money on what amounts to unnecessary luxury communications, unless you can write it off as a business expense.  To each his own, of course, but from my point of view you are the sucker these companies crave.

It's less than I would pay for basic cable, DSL (I left dial-up years ago and never looked back), and a landline phone.

Of course it's a luxury, but I can afford my toys.  It sounds as if you can not.
jmikeh
Citizen

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2008, 06:32:03 pm »

I am ready try U-Verse. At this point, however, It is not available in my neighborhood at the 41st & Peoria area yet.  I for one love my Cox DVR but would love to have up to 4 streams to record and some of the other extras.

Jonette
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2008, 09:07:10 pm »

I also live at 41st and Peoria. I have had my U-Verse for 2 weeks, you might want to check into it again.

tim huntzinger
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2008, 07:44:26 am »

quote:

Well, Steve, you may be interested in at&t DSL or U-verse internet.  With more consistent speeds than cable, either are time-saving, low-cost alternatives to cable.  There is no 'one-fit' solution and every person does not need every product a company has to offer.  However, U-verse has led me into a fuller, more meaningful relationship with TV, and I have re-dedicated my life to quality programming.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org