A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 11:44:38 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa History trivia  (Read 7093 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 03:47:08 pm »

NAtional, GEneral and FIllmore are correct.

Apache and Avenue are not.

Ten down, four to go.

23 - Adams
24 - Circle
26 -
27 -
28 -
29 -
34 - Fillmore
43 - General
44 - Hickory
58 - Luther
62 - National
74 - Riverside
83 - Temple
93 - Webster

Power is nothing till you use it.
Hometown
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 03:54:09 pm »

Amherst?
Archer?

Wild guesses
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 04:03:48 pm by Hometown » Logged
MichaelBates
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 04:20:47 pm »

Our first prefix, when we came to Tulsa in 1969, was AMherst 6, which was of two Catoosa exchanges, along with ADams 4.

Sometime around 1970, Bell introduced the first non-named prefix, 560, for use by Cities Service Oil Company in their new HQ building at 110 W. 7th St.

27 was CRestview in Owasso.

29 was CYpress in Jenks.

In the 1957 phone book, there are CHerry, MAdison, GIbson, DIamond, and VErnon exchanges in addition to TEmple, FIllmore, LUther, HIckory, and RIverside.

I'm not sure why there would have been both a GIbson and HIckory exchange, since the same numbers were involved.
GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 04:27:17 pm »

42 FI Filmore  North Tulsa

FI5-5002 is ingrained in my brain from Kindergarten.  

Trust but verify
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 04:48:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelBates

In the 1957 phone book, there are CHerry, MAdison, GIbson, DIamond, and VErnon exchanges in addition to TEmple, FIllmore, LUther, HIckory, and RIverside.

You mention CHerry as well. Perhaps both CIrcle and CHerry were used?

---Robert
waterboy
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 05:05:49 pm »

I had the easiest number ever to remember.

Webster 6-1248

All I had to remember was WE and 6, then start with 1 and double each number. I should call that number some day and see who the lucky ones are!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 05:18:37 pm »

I remember in "Happy Days" that girls who lived in the KLondike 5 exchange were supposed to be hot. [Wink]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 07:42:25 pm »

Now we have all but one...AMherst is 26. CRestview is 27 and CYpress is 29...the last one is 28...

23 - Adams
24 - Circle
26 - Amherst
27 - Crestview
28 -
29 - Cypress
34 - Fillmore
43 - General
44 - Hickory
58 - Luther
62 - National
74 - Riverside
83 - Temple
93 - Webster
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:44:09 pm by RecycleMichael » Logged

MichaelBates
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 08:16:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TURobY

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelBates

You mention CHerry as well. Perhaps both CIrcle and CHerry were used?

Right now I'm looking at a page from the 1957 Yellow Pages, from the grocery section, and I see several occurrences each of CIrcle 5 and CHerry 2. Since CIrcle 5 numbers are in Sand Springs and CHerry 2 numbers correspond to addresses near downtown Tulsa, these were probably physically separate exchanges, which might explain two different names for the same pair of digits.

I'm going to guess that between 1957 and the late '60s, Bell standardized exchange names, so that a single mnemonic was used for a given two digit combination, even if different physical exchanges were in use.
Bumby
Activist

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 10:49:38 pm »

The 1971 phonebook has Sperry listed for 28 or ATlantic 8.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 12:53:42 am »

The buildings in Tulsa proper (and the one in Catoosa) seem to all have CLLI codes based on the former exchange name, aside from the didn't-exist-then office (apparently called woodcrest, although that name has nothing to do with the prefixes served out of it) on 71st east of yale and the office downtown, which is TULSOKTB. Presumably some consolidation (or a move) happened to cause that, since the others correspond well.

Were webster and adams actual offices, or have they always been served from temple and general, as they appear to be today?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2008, 06:33:56 am »

The last one was ATlantic.

It is interesting that some of them changed between years. I never knew that.

I like Cherry better than Circle anyway.

dbacks fan
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 09:35:35 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Hoss

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

You people are old.  [Cheesy]

Not me...my grandparents and parents on the other hand.

But seriously, I knew National because I have an uncle who used to work for Bell, and my first foray into DSL I did a lot of research, and the switching station at 41st and Memorial was still named 'National'.

Does any body remember when the Bell station at 41st & Memorial was broken into on New Years Eve 1982? They cut all of the trunk cables so they could isolate that area, set off all the alerts at the monitored security companies, and then break into Bergen Brunswig Pharmacuticals to steal all the drugs in the warehouse? I lived just west of the old Ma Hu field and the only people we could call were numbers that were 62x-xxxx and nothing else.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 10:40:24 am »

quote:
Originally posted by dbacks fan

Does any body remember when the Bell station at 41st & Memorial was broken into on New Years Eve 1982? They cut all of the trunk cables so they could isolate that area, set off all the alerts at the monitored security companies, and then break into Bergen Brunswig Pharmacuticals to steal all the drugs in the warehouse? I lived just west of the old Ma Hu field and the only people we could call were numbers that were 62x-xxxx and nothing else.

It coincided with the scheduled breakup of the Bell System, so we just figured it was some Ma Bell employees celebrating their emancipation.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org