A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 09:25:23 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dave Matthews Band at the BOK!  (Read 5688 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 12:26:45 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nik

Willie Nelson and Family is the opener. Not excited about that at all. What a let down.

I'll gladly take your seats.

I saw Willie at his last show at the Cain's.  I went because at his age you never know when it might be his last tour.  He's not much of a stage show, but it's well worth hearing him in concert.  That was a fun show.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rwarn17588
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 01:06:56 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nik

Willie Nelson and Family is the opener. Not excited about that at all. What a let down.

Don't dis a living legend who's written more memorable songs than anyone but a handful of people. And he's sung a lot of 'em, too.

I was at that Cain's show with Conan. Willie's version of Kristofferson's "A Moment of Forever" made my wife cry.

Besides, Matthews is a country fan. I'm sure he's thrilled at the least to, ahem, share a peace pipe with him offstage.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 01:34:02 pm »

I'm not criticizing Willie Nelson or any of his fans. I have a very eclectic taste in music as well. I'm just personally not a fan. I too have seen shows just for the opener and I have let the opener decide whether to go or not. When Clapton played OKC, I was probably going to go but when Robert Randolph was announced at the opener, then that sealed the deal. Twice now, I've paid to see Eric Hutchinson open for somebody and then I did not stick around for the main act.

I, personally, was just bummed at the opener given the other acts that are opening DMB's other shows this tour including Robert Randolph, Donovan Frankenreiter, Umphrey's McGee, Jason Mraz, The Roots and The Hold Steady.
rwarn17588
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 01:36:43 pm »

I should add that Willie has put out more really good albums in the past year than Dave. That's not a knock against Matthews; it's just that Willie is really stretching musically.

A new album right now was recorded with Western swing outfit Asleep at the Wheel and is getting great reviews.

But the best is his collaboration last year with Winton Marsalis. It sounded like a mix of blues and old New Orleans jazz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7_zPCeg0c8
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 03:01:55 pm »

I guess I think of Willie being more "Americana" than country.  

I think it's a cool mix having Willie open.  And I'm even more excited about the show.  I'm definitely going even if I have to *gasp* make some a88-raping scalper's day.  One of my daugher's is a total DMB-head.  She's going to be happy about this.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 03:11:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

quote:
Originally posted by Nik

Don't dis a living legend who's written more memorable songs than anyone but a handful of people. And he's sung a lot of 'em, too.

I was at that Cain's show with Conan. Willie's version of Kristofferson's "A Moment of Forever" made my wife cry.

Besides, Matthews is a country fan. I'm sure he's thrilled at the least to, ahem, share a peace pipe with him offstage.

RW- I'm trying to remember what I paid for those tix.  Was Willie $50 for standing and $65 for seated, or was it $65 standing??

DMB was originally going to be $65.  Even if it's $80 each, that's like seeing Willie again and getting to see Dave for $15 to $30. [Cheesy]

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org