A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 01:27:46 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small Businesses with Owner on Premises  (Read 6009 times)
LongtimeTulsan
Citizen

« on: February 21, 2009, 09:02:42 pm »

Since small businesses are the backbone of a local economy I am interested in knowing more about those in Tulsa. If any of you know of any where the owner works day in and day out to keep the place running, I would like to give my business to them. Please help in creating a list. Thank you.

LongtimeTulsan
Citizen

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 09:06:05 pm »

Harvard Meats - 15th & Harvard
Peirponts - Bathroom and Kitchen fixtures
15th & Harvard
Ty's Hamburgers - 15th & Harvard

Composer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 10:58:15 pm »

Endisco Supply Co.  (Shutters, etc..) Near 5th and Peoria
dayzella
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 07:41:47 am »

Kolam Innovative Indian Food
4844 S Memorial Drive
http://kolamiic.weebly.com/

Hmong Cafe
11197 E 31st St

Elote Cafe and Catering
514 S Boston Ave
http://www.elotetulsa.com/
waterboy
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 09:50:04 am »

Jim's Never On Sunday Coney Island
20th & Harvard

Best Hardware
Brookside next to Channel 2

Phoenix Cleaners
18th & Cincinnati

Double Shot Coffee
18th & Boston

Bill & Ruth's
15th & Lewis

The Coffee Shop on Cherry Street
next to the bike shop on Cherry Street

Have the figures changed at all? It used to be that about 80% of employment was through small business with individual or family ownership.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 10:45:20 am »

If I recall correctly. I believe I heard that around 40% of businesses are small, and or, locally owned ones in Tulsa. Which I think is actually above the national average. How that pans out for employment I dont know. Could very well be 80%.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:47:06 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
mobboss
Activist

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 03:02:16 pm »

a few dedicated owners of local biz's i support

Phat Phillies,12th and detroit- jason is on the grill daily

Pie Hole pizza, 15th and colombia, andy works tons of hours up there.

Black Optical, 35th and peoria- gary has been in the vision business for many years

Keo, 35th and peoria, bill and zahidia, gracious host and chef

The Board Shop, 12th and harvard- scott and brian, old school skaterboarders, passing it on everyday

Cellar Dweller Bar-7th and elwood- daily, im there when i can be!

Dwelling Spaces, 2nd and detroit- mary beth is a great buyer of highly styled gifts and kitsch

Soundpony- mike or josh, behind the bar daily

Caz's chowhouse, brady and main- jeff is there ALL DAY.

good topic! soooo many more!
zach

LongtimeTulsan
Citizen

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 03:20:04 pm »

According to the Tulsa Chamber 82% of all businesses in Tulsa have fewer than 10 employees and account for $3.1 billion/yr in revenue.

I don't know if the chamber even recognizes small business owners. From the looks of the board the answer is no.

Keep those listings coming!

JessnT
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 03:21:21 am »

Steak Stuffers?  
Have they moved yet?  
Haven't been there in a while.

Phoenix Cleaners - 18th & Boston.
The only cleaners I trust.  
They are super nice too.

Lulu's Sweet Shoppe - 81st & Sheridan.
Cookies, pastries, etc. Wi-fi, conference room, kid section.  Great atmosphere too.
Plus she makes a daily dinner special.  
Turkey meatloaf is excellent!

You're Invited - 81st & Sheridan.
Specialty is custom invitations.  
Great selection and cute gifts too.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 08:20:56 am »

Joe Momma's

Dwelling Spaces

Billy's
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 09:14:27 am »

Memorial Wine & Spirits
109th and Memorial

It's a new shop and Kristi did a really nice job inside.

She's very nice and a good friend.  If she doesn't have what you want she'll order it for you and in most cases have it for you the next day.

You'll find it in the shops on the North side of the Walmart parking lot.  Look for the big green sign.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 09:35:22 am »

quote:
Originally posted by LongtimeTulsan

According to the Tulsa Chamber 82% of all businesses in Tulsa have fewer than 10 employees and account for $3.1 billion/yr in revenue.

I don't know if the chamber even recognizes small business owners. From the looks of the board the answer is no.

Keep those listings coming!

I dont think we could even begin to scratch the surface on all the small, locally owned businesses. I wonder how that 82% stacks up with other cities. Though I would suspect its fairly close. Think of all the small stores at the malls, strip malls, the restaurants, services, builders, tile layers, painters, plumbers, electricians, artists, hair salons, lawn care, gift shops, flower shops, small oil related companies, accountants, etc. etc. etc.  You name it, its not at all difficult to find a local company, service or store thats not doing it.

Perhaps its might be wiser to consider the types of goods/stores or services that are hard to find. Or compare a commonly used, large out of town chain, with its local counterpart.

Is there a locally owned alternative to Best Buy?

Instead of Firestone, use Incinas Automotive on Peoria.

Instead of Lowes or Home Depot for lighting, go to Garbes.

Instead of H&R Block, use...

What are the local counterparts of the big pervasive chains?  

What I really wished we had was a grocery store that sold lots of "Made in Oklahoma" products, and labled them so that you could easily determine if that product was produced locally. I dont mind paying a little extra bit to help a local company get started until they can get large enough to have economy of scale to compete better. Whenever I buy wine, I always buy a bottle or two of an Oklahoma wine. May not be the best wine in the world lol. But the only way they can get better is if they are supported and can keep working at it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:42:01 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Kashmir
Civic Leader

"My name is Talking Tina and I think I hate you"

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 01:02:11 pm »

Webers!  My favorite burger in all of Tulsa.

The Bodega @61 and Yale

The owners here are good people.

I had a great experience at Hahn Appliance and they are very comparable to the big box, but I didn't see the owner.
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 10:54:24 am »

Bill and Ruths - 21st and Yale(next to doughnut shop)

Diamond Jacks - 71st and Yale

Ricks Cafe American - 21st and Harvard(old st. michaels ally)

Any Mexican restaurant in east Tulsa..
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 11:17:31 am »

Also Video Revolution 71st and Lewis -

I bought my 50" flat screen from them, they gave me GREAT advice on what to get and how some "buzz" words that Best Buy was touting were really just "hype" and here was the real story.

They even showed me a 2008 model for about 50% the 2009 model price but still was comparable in features and saved me some bucks. They loaded it up free and even provided support when I had a small issue with programming the remote at no charge..
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org