A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 11:24:02 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get drug dealers off the street  (Read 10943 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: February 24, 2009, 01:50:26 pm »

Read an intersting article in Newsweek about how to get drug dealers off the street

A guy named David Kennedy has spent years studying what works and what doesn't.  Here's a little summary:

...he spent years in the rough neighborhoods of cities like Houston, Los Angeles and Boston. He watched the same sad pattern: locked and loaded, cops would repeatedly kick down doors—or make undercover buys to catch dealers. The locals began viewing the police the way residents of Tikrit saw the U.S. Fourth Infantry Division in the summer of 2003: as an occupying army....

In a 2004 experiment in High Point, N.C., Kennedy got the cops to try a new way of cleaning up the corners. They rounded up some young dealers; showed a videotape of them dealing drugs; and readied cases, set for indictment, that would have meant hard time in prison. Then they let the kids go. Working with their families, the police helped the dope dealers find job training and mentors. The message, which spread quickly through the neighborhood, was that the cops would give kids a second chance—but come down aggressively if they didn't take it. The police won back trust they had lost long ago (if they ever had it). After four years, police in High Point had wiped the drug dealers off the corner. They compared the numbers to the prior four years and found a 57 percent drop in violent crime in the targeted area.

...One crime-infested Nashville neighborhood where Kennedy's program was used saw a 91 percent drop in crime and prostitution in 2008, largely attributable to Kennedy's good-cop, bad-cop approach.

Wilbur
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 01:59:28 pm »

I'd rather charge dope users with accessory to murder for every person killed in Mexico over the past year in order to feed America's habit for illegal drugs.

See what that would do to stem the tide.
rwarn17588
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 02:18:32 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

I'd rather charge dope users with accessory to murder for every person killed in Mexico over the past year in order to feed America's habit for illegal drugs.

Good luck making a charge like that stick in court.
Gold
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 02:39:10 pm »

I thought this board was about encouraging business downtown.  This is a way of limiting a significant after 5 pm business downtown.

I kid, I kid . . .  [Cheesy]
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 03:27:32 pm »

quote:

I'd like to see every Mexican murdering other Mexicans or otherwise contributing to or profiting from the drug trade to America imprisoned for the American deaths caused by their drugs.  Also I'd like to send a bill to Mexico for the expenses we have for rehab, victim compensation and imprisonment of drug related offenses.  See what that would do to stem the tide.

We we didn't consume the drugs, they wouldn't produce them.  If they didn't produce them, we couldn't consume them.  Two way street.
- - - -

The above scenario on fixing drug problems seems very workable to me.  If the community knows a kid got a second chance and blew it, it isn't the cops fault.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pebbles
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 03:42:00 pm »

quote:

It is the United States fault with its arcane laws on drugs that Mexico is suffering a drug war problem.  The blood of innocent Mexicans is on United States hands.  

That is the way I see it.
Hometown
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 04:55:07 pm »

I agree with Peebles.

Hey, the reason I don't live in Mexico today is because of the kidnappings.

Guess what's come to Phoenix.  Phoenix is now just behind Mexico City in kidnappings.

While we are playing World Police in the middle east, common-place kidnappings have come to the U.S.  

Research the kidnappings in Mexico.  It's not just drug related.  It's touched everybody, all classes, living in Mexico.

dbacks fan
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 06:17:56 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

I agree with Peebles.

Guess what's come to Phoenix.  Phoenix is now just behind Mexico City in kidnappings.

While we are playing World Police in the middle east, common-place kidnappings have come to the U.S.  

Research the kidnappings in Mexico.  It's not just drug related.  It's touched everybody, all classes, living in Mexico.

You are quite correct. There  were 350 "reported" kidnappings last year, but it is believed to be much higher as a lot of them go unreported. At least once a month there is a story in the news here about some one find aburning car out in the desert around Phoenix. 99% of the time, they find at least two bodies in the car. Tes the drug lords are hear and they are better armed than the police, and most of them are Mexican Military. Between the drugs and the drop houses for smuggling people in, it is almost like a war zone.

If you want a good book on the smuggling of people, go out and buy Darrell Ankarlo's book "Another Man's Sombrero" it is worht reading.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 06:21:16 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
rhymnrzn
Activist

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 02:52:38 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

quote:

I'd like to see every Mexican murdering other Mexicans or otherwise contributing to or profiting from the drug trade to America imprisoned for the American deaths caused by their drugs.  Also I'd like to send a bill to Mexico for the expenses we have for rehab, victim compensation and imprisonment of drug related offenses.  See what that would do to stem the tide.

We we didn't consume the drugs, they wouldn't produce them.  If they didn't produce them, we couldn't consume them.  Two way street.
- - - -

The above scenario on fixing drug problems seems very workable to me.  If the community knows a kid got a second chance and blew it, it isn't the cops fault.

If only the people would act better, or better yet, want to act better: instead of overcharging them all while you give place for Jezebel to run the Ahab's court with bald-face lying.
MH2010
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 08:04:27 am »

quote:

quote:

- - - -

Drug offenders already get second,third and/or fourth chances before they are faced with prison.  For first time drug offenses, the most common result is a deferred sentence.  If the offender stays out of trouble for X amount of time then the original charge is dismissed.  If they are ineligible for the deferred sentence (have already gotten one), then they can have a suspended sentence.  This is when they get a prison sentence but it is suspended and they are put on probation.  If they violate the terms of their probation then they have to serve the original sentence.  (Offenders can have several of these.) Another option is drug court.  Drug court is a successful program where offenders are put in a structured rehab program instead of going to prison. If offenders complete drug court then they are released.  If they fail then they have to go to prison.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 08:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by rhymnrzn
If only the people would act better, or better yet, want to act better: instead of overcharging them all while you give place for Jezebel to run the Ahab's court with bald-face lying.

Speaking of drugs...
- - -

MH2010:

I understand that first time offenders don't really go to jail.  But from the community perspective the cops are not giving them a break, they are tossing them into the system.  They have a record for a drug offense.   By the cops giving them a free pass, the police are gaining the good will of the community instead of the kid feeling like all he will get is a slap on the wrist from the courts.

Does that make sense?

AS far as drug courts, I have heard they work well.  My problem is that I believe most drug use is not fixed by rehab.  It is not the substance that is the real problem for reuse - it is the environment.  If your friends smoke pot to party and you rejoin that group of friends, it is difficult to abstain.  Not impossible (when my son was born I stopped doing any illegal drugs, many of my friends did not.  It wasn't a real issue) but it could kill ones motivation to stay "clean."

Not sure what the solution is, but I think it is worth trying something different.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
dayzella
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 08:26:57 am »

When I read the original post, all I could think of was The Wire's Hamsterdam.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 09:48:25 am »

quote:

My problem is that I believe most drug use is not fixed by rehab.  

Not sure what the solution is, but I think it is worth trying something different.

The last buddy I knew that went into rehab met his best suppliers there.
Hometown
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 10:31:52 am »

quote:
Originally posted by dbacks fan

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

I agree with Peebles.

You are quite correct. There  were 350 "reported" kidnappings last year, but it is believed to be much higher as a lot of them go unreported. At least once a month there is a story in the news here about some one find aburning car out in the desert around Phoenix. 99% of the time, they find at least two bodies in the car. Tes the drug lords are hear and they are better armed than the police, and most of them are Mexican Military. Between the drugs and the drop houses for smuggling people in, it is almost like a war zone.

If you want a good book on the smuggling of people, go out and buy Darrell Ankarlo's book "Another Man's Sombrero" it is worht reading.

I hope Oklahomans realize that what is happening in Phoenix could easily spread to Oklahoma.

While we have been nation building in the Middle East we have been ignoring the kidnappings going on here at home.

It is essential that we nip this in the bud or lose our way of life forever.

My prescription:  Reform drug laws and take the money out of drugs.  Throw every available resource at stopping the kidnappings in Arizona now.

rhymnrzn
Activist

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 11:26:40 am »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by rhymnrzn

Speaking of drugs...

True, the Holy Bible is the drug instead of every purge.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org