A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 05:26:19 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cox Internet slowing down?  (Read 4878 times)
Neptune
« on: March 04, 2009, 06:46:56 pm »

Anyone else getting a slow down on Cox internet?  I have the middle one, the $45 a month deal.  Have it in two places, around 32nd and Harvard and 34th and Harvard.  Both, slowing down, way too many time-outs lately.

gratuitous flying words
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 08:12:09 pm »

Anyone else getting a slow down on Cox internet?  I have the middle one, the $45 a month deal.  Have it in two places, around 32nd and Harvard and 34th and Harvard.  Both, slowing down, way too many time-outs lately.
No problems near 15th and Harvard!!!
It's probably one of your neighbors downloading too much.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Neptune
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:25:14 pm »

Was it you?

It's flying now.  You're probably right.  Somewhere in there, Cox's bandwidth was consumed.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:21:14 am »

Wait, what? Cox customers are subject to speeds based on how much their neighbors are downloading? What kind of commie pinko freakishness is that?

The same freakishness that dictates internet speeds if you have UVerse according to whether or not you are watching HD.  Oh, wait a minute, you don't have HD.....so it doesn't matter.  Ha!

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:59:30 am »

True dat! But at least I have control of my own usage and not blah blah blah.
Oh, please. You share the same fiber from the VRAD back to the CO that everybody else does. And they're only running the fiber at OC-48 speed. With 288 users per shelf, that's still way oversold, even at the 24Mbps DSL rate they're currently using to the RG.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 11:03:47 am »

Oh, please. You share the same fiber from the VRAD back to the CO that everybody else does. And they're only running the fiber at OC-48 speed. With 288 users per shelf, that's still way oversold, even at the 24Mbps DSL rate they're currently using to the RG.

Don't try and cite fact with the AT&T shill.  It's like talking to a brick wall.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 11:06:27 am »

Don't try and cite fact with the AT&T shill.  It's like talking to a brick wall.
The unstoppable force meets the immovable object. Grin

(Post #600!)

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 03:28:27 pm »

Shaw cable in Canada is rolling out 100mb service. Probably will be available through the major US MSOs including COX soon.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 03:33:14 pm »

Shaw cable in Canada is rolling out 100mb service. Probably will be available through the major US MSOs including COX soon.

That should be the case; I'm hearing that they will be rolling out DOCSIS 3.0 in the Tulsa market starting right now for business customers.  That will allow them to open up the fat pipe to the end user.  Now to get them to get right with the upload speeds.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 10:47:08 pm »

I dont know about my internet being slow. But I am starting to get a bit perterbed that my BBC channel is always either "temporarily off air", or messing up.
 I am beginning to wonder if its a US plot to keep us from seeing whats going on in the rest of the world and getting the real news. Kind of like China keeping its citizens from seeing US "news".

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 01:09:13 am »

I dont know about my internet being slow. But I am starting to get a bit perterbed that my BBC channel is always either "temporarily off air", or messing up.
 I am beginning to wonder if its a US plot to keep us from seeing whats going on in the rest of the world and getting the real news. Kind of like China keeping its citizens from seeing US "news".

sounds like a bad drop to the digital cable box.  Do you have splitters preceding the connection to the box?

jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 12:20:54 pm »

gratuitous flying words

I'm near 31st and Harvard and I've got consistently good speeds.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
T-Town Now
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 03:45:53 pm »

I have the same problem with BBC. I've had the digital box changed several times. They've installed an amplifier between the cable box on my house, and the digital box on the other side of the house. (They said it was too much distance, and thought that was the problem.) Still, I get the message that BBC and other channels are not available. Plus, I get that pixelating from time to time as well, or the sound or video stalls for a few seconds. Yet, I always have a great signal when they come to look at it.

No biggie to Cox, though. Just make another appointment, hang around waiting for them to show up to tell me everything looks good. Again. Until the next time it messes up, which is usually later that day.

No problem waiting around for Cox to show up, right?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org