A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2024, 05:29:16 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Medlock cancelled?  (Read 12622 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 09:36:07 am »

JBG can blame the economy all they want.  If Mudschlock was really that relevant, and really was essential to the Tulsa airwaves he would be:

A) still gainfully employed
B) never been moved off the morning show

He's not a revenue generator.  Advertisers are still spending money in the Tulsa market.  The national economic picture is a bit gloomy yet, yes.  JBG's stock PPS has nothing to do with Mudschlock losing his job.  The point is, he must not have been doing impressive enough numbers to garner sustainable ad revenue...that's the bottom line.  I'll agree, his delivery as a host improved in the time he was on-air, but that was the only improvement I saw.  How many "local Limbaughs" do we need?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 10:16:13 am »

Actually this isn't anything special to Tulsa - Its happening across the country and I DOUBT it at anything to do with him personally...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-talkradio15-2009mar15,0,39114.story

"For that and other reasons, stations have dropped the shows of at least half a dozen radio personalities and scaled back others, in some cases replacing them with cheaper nationally syndicated programs."

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 03:57:03 pm »

Actually this isn't anything special to Tulsa - Its happening across the country and I DOUBT it at anything to do with him personally...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-talkradio15-2009mar15,0,39114.story

"For that and other reasons, stations have dropped the shows of at least half a dozen radio personalities and scaled back others, in some cases replacing them with cheaper nationally syndicated programs."

Across the country?  Your source article only speaks of California.  If the ratings are there, the revenue follows.  Of course we can't see the super-secret Arbitrons that only the real insiders like Mudschlock was claiming to be privvy to.  I'd be willing to bet listeners dropped off after MaDoG left town.  How else do you explain Chris getting jack-booted to a dead-end time slot in the middle of the afternoon so they could make room for PC in the mornings?  If CM was getting a good audience share, he would still be the morning guy on KFAQ.  He obviously didn't.  His demise started months ago.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Delmo Gillete
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 10:03:03 pm »

Say what you will about Medlock but it still sucks that most of the voices on our "local" radio come from somewhere else. Tulsa used to have a hard time keeping local radio talent because bigger markets snatched them up for their 'neutral' accents if not their journalistic talent (Paul Harvey comes to mind).

What do we get these days? PC came from where - Florida? Joe Kelly from God knows where? Neither came from anywhere resembling Oklahoma. At least Tulsan Rick Couri is still the sports guy at KRMG - for now.

Medlock's show rubbed a lot of local people (that need it, every day) the wrong way. Great! Tulsa needs a lot more of that but we won't be getting it from any syndicated national show and the transplanted "local" hosts are only interested in furthering their careers for the next market. We are the losers.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 04:38:16 am »

Medlock didn't just rub people the wrong way. He was a jerk to people he disagreed with.

I am all for local talent discussing local issues, but just because someone wasn't born here doesn't mean they can't discuss local issues. I thought I would love any radio show that discussed local politics, but frankly, stopped listening to Medlock because he wasn't really discussing anything. He was just bad-mouthing people he didn't like.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 05:32:10 am »

Medlock didn't just rub people the wrong way. He was a jerk to people he disagreed with.

I am all for local talent discussing local issues, but just because someone wasn't born here doesn't mean they can't discuss local issues. I thought I would love any radio show that discussed local politics, but frankly, stopped listening to Medlock because he wasn't really discussing anything. He was just bad-mouthing people he didn't like.

Yup, he was essentially MDG without all the fire and brimstone (which for MDG was a sham anyway; Tennessee can keep him).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Neptune
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 08:30:42 am »

Even though I've never listened to his program, probably because he was a stooge as a city councilor, I just feel so sorry for him.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 09:36:30 am »

THAT was a Karma-worthy post, Nep!

Wrinkle
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 12:46:11 pm »

I thought you all would have fun with this when I originally posted.

Whether you like him or not, Tulsa has lost. We need more, not less of this type of public engagement. I couldn't agree with RM less about personal issues. Not to say there wasn't any, but it was not the center.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 04:07:46 pm »

Ingraham isn't exactly an improvement, but at least there's one less local nut on the airwaves, spreading some "political" hate.

Oklahoma doesn't smell as bad as it did, now that he's gone.

However, if people around here didn't have something to get riled up about I guess the world would end, wouldn't it? Ingraham, Hannity, Rush, these professional hatemongers/entertainers will keep the fires burning I suspect.

Yes, well, Hannity and Rush and Ingraham are almost caricatures of themselves, and how they are taken seriously baffles me absolutely!
USRufnex
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 12:07:19 pm »

Punch and Pie

Cake or death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAOLOGGftTY&feature=related

And yes, I'd rather listen to a British crossdresser than Ingraham, Hannity, Rush, Medlock...

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:19:55 pm by USRufnex » Logged
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 12:59:16 pm »

Medlock was on the radio?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 01:00:21 pm »

Medlock was on the radio?

Who?

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 01:07:46 pm »

I love The Who.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2009, 01:49:41 pm »

Cake or death

Ummm, cake please.

Sry, we are out of cake.

Out of cake?

Yes sir.

So my choices are then, lets see, or death?

Cake or death sir?

Well, I guess it will be death then isn't it.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org