A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 06:12:55 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Use of BOK Center - Mayor Taylor vs. Tulsa Talons  (Read 23476 times)
Jitter Free
« on: March 26, 2009, 07:36:59 am »

The Tulsa Talons are paying good money to use the BOK Center.  They are one of the first attractions to sign up for a long term contract to play at the BOK Center.  Before they signed this long term contract to play at the BOK Center, the Talons had the BOK Center's administration sign off on the BOK Center being available on all of game dates.  The league actually sets and signs off on the dates.  After receiving approval for all of these dates from the BOK Center, the Talons then had all of their materials printed with these dates, published the dates, etc...   

I heard the Talons have now received word from the BOK Administration that the BOK Center will not be available on one of its schedule game nights.  Why?   Mayor Taylor needs the BOK Center!  Why?  For her daughter's wedding! 

So, let me get this right.  We have a local sports franchise paying good money to use the BOK Center and they are getting bumped for Mayor Taylor's daughter's wedding.  Does this make sense?

Is Mayor Taylor paying for the use of the BOK Center?  Will our police force be used at such event?  Will Mayor Taylor pay for the use our police?

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 08:05:42 am »

I officially call shenanigans.
If true as presented, it sounds completely ludicrous and offensive.

However, why would a wedding need an 18,000 seat venue?  Why would they want one?  How would the Mayor even pretend to usurp a contract with a straight face for such blatant personal gain?  No politician is that stupid or has that large a sense of entitlement.

I'm going to need a source on this one.

[edit]

Wedding is set for  May 30, 2009.  People are instructed to stay downtown. 
http://www.elizabethchris.com/home.asp

The Tallons play May 30th, IN OKLAHOMA CITY:
Saturday, May 30    7:05 PM    @ Oklahoma City
http://tulsatalons.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58&Itemid=87

The materials have been "printed and distributed with these dates."  All you had to do was look on the internet for 5 minutes to figure it out.   Unless they have swapped dates with Oklahoma City - in which case I owe a massive retraction, but without a source stating otherwise [see edit below, seems unlikely]:

I officially call shenanigans.  Please look information up more carefully before posting wild rumors.  Particularly with no source or disclaimer.

[edit]Here is an article from November of 2008 outlining the 2009 schedule:
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3738776

It does not list a May 30th Home date for OKC either.[/edit]

[/edit]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 08:28:38 am by cannon_fodder » Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 08:20:03 am »

I enjoy that they are telling people to eat at "joemamas" and even include a link to a pizza place in pittsburg.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 08:32:21 am »

I enjoy that they are telling people to eat at "joemamas" and even include a link to a pizza place in pittsburg.

I kind feel bad for cyber-stalking her, but she is the daughter of a public figure and put the information on the internet, so . . .

In the report, it states the officer smelled an odor of alcohol and asked Frame to get out of the car, where she failed sobriety field tests. The police report says Frame admitted to having 2 to 3 beers and was hopping around to maintain her balance. The report goes on to say Frame refused a breath test, stating she wanted to call her mother first for counsel.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1801937/posts

Best Place to Have a Drink (or 3)
http://www.elizabethchris.com/bonustwo.asp

Probably should have gone without the "or 3" comment in there.   Wink

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Gold
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:12:47 am »

joiei
City Father

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 10:11:15 am »

I see no conflict here, so I will just mosey along.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 12:25:16 pm »

Yeah, well I stalked as well.  There's not so much as a contact report on OSCN, Cannon. 

Nothing like a little cyber-voyeurism.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 04:34:09 am »

I like how the el guapo link directs you to a restaurant in Somerville, Massachusetts! How awesome is that!

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 07:32:06 am »

I like how the el guapo link directs you to a restaurant in Somerville, Massachusetts! How awesome is that!

Possible scenarios

A. A member of the future couple isn't too bright
B. The couple had a friend do the page, and the friend isn't very bright
B. The couple hired someone to do the page, and they're all not very bright.
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 07:53:32 am »

I choose B....the second one!

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 08:26:55 am »

I choose B....the second one!

Now, is that the first B or the second B?   The first B being the "second one" on the list.  The later being the second B.   Man, you didn't clarify that at all!   Wink

My guess is they are planning a wedding and through it up in a hurry.  The what do to page is like a bonus anyway, not exactly a priority I imagine.  I also bet we will see it corrected in the not too distant future (the internets work in mysterious ways).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 12:42:09 pm »

Now, is that the first B or the second B?   The first B being the "second one" on the list.  The later being the second B.   Man, you didn't clarify that at all!   Wink

Friggin' copy/paste.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 03:56:59 pm »

Thank you once again, CF for your willingness to research the truth behind baseless smears.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
DowntownNow
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 05:41:26 pm »

I'd love to see any proof that the wedding is being held at the BOKCenter.  If it is, I'd love to hear from BOK Center General Manager John Bolton as to the particulars in an upcoming City Council committee meeting.  That information should include rental rate in relation to operations expenses so that any other willing wedding party, bar-mitzvah, Sweet Sixteen/birthday, or all around drunk fest (if thats what someone wants to do) can know how much to cough up for this special event center if we're now renting it out for such.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 07:40:34 pm »

The BOK Center is available to rent for special events and I don't believe anyone else has to discuss their arrangements with the city council.

Don't know about the whole building, but I heard the lobby costs $10k to rent for an event.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org