A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 05:16:24 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATT Uverse vs Cox Cable  (Read 54634 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2013, 09:46:52 am »

I have Netflix and Hulu and I plan on getting a ROKU for my HD set in my master bedroom.
But I still have not seen anything on either one of those services that would make me believe that I would be happy with them being my primary entertainment option.

Netflix has very limited new releases, and most of the time my movie search ends up being on DVD that they have to send me. Even older movies. I'm sorry but I thought they had a large streaming service of movies.

Hulu also is very limited with online content. I got it so I could catch up on Downton Abbey. Which I did. Right up to the end of the second season and the 3rd season is not available on Hulu and PBS has not rerun it since its debut in January.
Hulu will also redirect you to other websites that show series that they do not have rights to show, like Seinfeld and Falling Skies.

I also have a outside antenna and If I had to rely on just over the air programming. I would just turn back the clock and listen to the Radio by Candlelight.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2013, 06:57:34 pm »

Rebound. If you lost signal more than 3 to 5 minutes during heavy downpour. You're dish needed to be realigned. Oklahoma winds tend to rock the dishes out of alignment every now and then.

Of course I don't have that problem because I had a "Great" installer.  Grin

There must be a lot of lousy installers doing the work for them here, 'cause I know of at least 14 installations, here and OKC, Norman and Moore where heavy rain ALWAYS fades out the signal.  Every time.  Many times more than 5 minutes, but depends on how long the heavy rain lasts (usually 5 or less).

Not a problem for me - I have the over the air antenna and a signal switch to go local when the rain comes.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 06:59:36 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2013, 07:05:33 pm »

I'm watching DirectTV right now, too.  Multi-tasking with internet surfing on an ATT wi-fi that has been horrible up until about a week ago, when suddenly it became stable and adequate.  Go figure....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2013, 12:21:24 pm »

Ok. Here is the review after a week.

The interface is better and faster than DirectTV.  It just seems more organized and easier to search or locate programs.  My 7yo already has the whole system figured out.

The ability to pause a movie and resume in another room is awesome!  We typically watch DVR shows and when daddy get's tired, he likes to move to the bed and resume.  Image quality is great, and I can't find anything to complain about from a video or sound perspective.

I have a pile of old coax in the garage now.  Was not aware of this when we signed up, but the boxes are all wireless, so there is no need to have a coax drop at every TV.  This has allowed us to add the kids TV upstairs in the game room without running cable, and relieved me from hearing Sponge Bob's laugh every 2 seconds coming from one of the living rooms.  I will probably add an additional box or two for the garage and pool, since I don't have to run cable. We have also gotten rid of the coax behind each TV and for me, one less wire is a step in the right direction.

We previously had our internet and phone through COX, and the UVerse internet is markedly faster for what is supposed to be a similar bandwidth.  We have cameras around the house that I can monitor from work, and under COX they were very jerky and slow on the refresh.  Since the switch, they have been like watching typical 30fps video, and they never drop frames.

Phone is phone, except that now our caller ID appears on all of the TVs every time the phone rings without having to have any additional wiring.  

Initially I was worried about the configurability of the network under their wireless device, but it was relatively easy and I was able to set up all my custom settings, security, and DMZ devices in about 10 minutes.

So far, so good, and it's saving me about $30 a month.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:23:21 pm by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2013, 12:49:25 pm »

Have you actually gotten a bill yet to see if there's all the extra taxes and fees Grizzle mentioned?

We got AT&T internet after the first of the year through DTV at a discount.  Funny part is, now that AT&T has our info, they keep sending us an offer for a $200 rebate to sign up for Uverse.  Curious if DTV is aware they do this to the customers DTV brings them.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2013, 12:51:04 pm »

Have you actually gotten a bill yet to see if there's all the extra taxes and fees Grizzle mentioned?

We got AT&T internet after the first of the year through DTV at a discount.  Funny part is, now that AT&T has our info, they keep sending us an offer for a $200 rebate to sign up for Uverse.  Curious if DTV is aware they do this to the customers DTV brings them.

No bill yet, but I will report back.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2013, 01:22:26 pm »

I get an offer from DTV every 4-6 weeks asking me to come back with slightly varying offers each time.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2014, 01:15:38 pm »

My DSL may be phased out in favor of U-verse.  Just got this today:

Today, your high-speed Internet service is provided over our traditional broadband network. Our goal is to provide the best service possible. We're excited to tell you that we can provide you with a better internet experience by transitioning you to our advanced AT&T U-verse network with fiber-optic technology.¹
The change is free and you can keep your current speeds at a price that meets -or beats- your current price. However, you'll need new equipment for your service to work. The equipment will be provided FREE of charge so please contact us at our special transitioning number to make arrangements.

Your current AT&T Internet service will change to AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet service.

You'll get our best price for the next 12 months
    We'll match or beat your current Internet speed2 at your current price or better. You can also take advantage of exclusive offers for speeds up to 24 Mbps.
    Your email addresses will remain the same
    Your monthly data plan will increase from 150 GB to 250 GB

¹ Fiber optics may apply to all or part of the network, depending on your location.

² AT&T High Speed Internet Customers who currently have a lower speed plan (768 kbps or 1.5 Mbps) will be moved to AT&T U-verse Pro (up to 3.0 Mbps) at the same or lower price than they are paying for their current AT&T High Speed Internet plan.

³ For new residential AT&T U-verse customers. Includes U300 TV with U-verse High Speed Internet Max Plus and U-verse Voice 250 with $61 off per month for 24 months. 12-month term required. An early termination fee of up to $180 may apply if U-verse TV is disconnected before end of term. After 24 months, standard rates apply unless cancelled by customer. Must maintain qualifying services for continued receipt of credit(s). Offer ends 1/25/14.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2014, 01:57:44 pm »

U-Verse has a data cap?

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2014, 04:59:12 pm »

U-Verse has a data cap?

Since about 6 months before Cox started claiming they would enforce theirs. Lucky for me, Cox's data usage meter has never shown anywhere near what I really consume. Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org