A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 03:45:37 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relocating to Tulsa  (Read 15326 times)
ericwbolin
« on: April 27, 2009, 06:33:35 pm »

I know, I know, there are a million of these types of threads, sorry, but I have a few questions about moving to dear ol Tulsa.

Now, I'm an Oklahoma native, but have never lived in Tulsa and am actually moving back to OK from Connecticut. I know plenty of folks who grew up in Tulsa and whatnot, but over the years have lost touch with them.

I'm looking for places to live, of course, and was wondering some of the specific areas I should avoid - or some of the specific areas you'd recommend, too. Since I was a teenager, all I've ever heard is "Stay out of north Tulsa." But I've been north of downtown plenty of times before, and it seemed OK to me. When people say north Tulsa is dangerous, do they mean Turley is dangerous? Do Tulsans consider Turley part of Tulsa? Do they consider it north Tulsa?

Specifically, I've found a couple of potential apartments in the area north of downtown. Of course, I'm still in CT, so I can't check them out in person. However, I thought I'd post the locations on here, and see what some Tulsa natives thought about it.

They are two different addresses, but both generally close. They're in the area that's between the Osage Expressway and Cherokee Expessway (Hwy 75), and north of 244/412, but south of 15th St/Pine St.

I'm a 25-year-old male and would work pretty much a 9-5 job in Catoosa, so I'd like to be somewhere near 244/412 for an easy commute, but I wonder if I should search more in midtown. Any advice you all can give would be fantastic. Thanks a bunch!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 09:00:12 pm »

North Tulsa isn't all bad but is probably the most economically depressed area in the city with few retail businesses and restaurants.  Crime is high because of this situation, and gang violence is rampant.  That being said there are good and bad sections and someone with more familiarity with the area could probably help you more.  Generally the areas north of 244, east of 75, and west of the airport, are to be avoided.  I would look into Riverview, the neighborhood south of downtown along the river, as there are lots of affordable apartments and people in their 20's and 30's that live there, plus close proximity to the highway.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 07:35:07 am »

North Tulsa is not Compton.  There are pockets of North Tulsa that are nice neighborhoods.  But there are pockets that are places I would not want to live.

The area you are describing saw some revival in the last decade.  There are areas of new homes and apartments.  But I can not speak more particularly than that as I have never lived there nor driven around with an eye to do so.  I worked in North Tulsa for years and never had an issue.  I had friends who live(d) in North Tulsa and had no issues.  There is a higher risk of crime in many areas, but perception is as much of a problem as any reality that exists.

The area immediately North of Downtown has long been rumored for a revival, but it has yet to materialize.  As a 20 something single guy, living downtown would be an option.  Several pockets of downtown are starting to pickup and offer unique living (for Tulsa).  If I was single, I'd probably live downtown so I could walk to shows and nightlife (and bring home random women, ahh yes.   Crap, don't tell my wife.). 

But you can't go wrong with midtown either.  I live near 28th and Harvard and love it.  I can walk/bike to nearly any amenity I need.  It's quiet but close enough to everything.  It's VERY diverse economically (one neighbor drives a 2008 BMW, the other a 1992 Dodge POS), racially (white, black, native), and demographically (retired, working, single, married, kids or no).  That has it's pluses and minuses of course, but overall my wife and I love it.

Crime map if that is of great concern for you:

http://www.tulsapolice.org/mapcentral.html

Also don't forget to check areas out on Google Streetview.  Random images at different times of the day can give you a better feel for an area.

And welcome back to Tulsa.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 09:17:46 am »

Any apartment complexes which are coming to mind north of 244 are public housing.

What's your price range?  There are decent apartment complexes west of Yale at 51st which puts you close enough to I-44.  Westport on the river is adjacent to 244/75 and is a nice view.

Something to consider about Catoosa is there's likely to be some snarls on I-44 in the mornings.  Moreso when they finally get around to replacing bridges at 161st and 193rd.  You might want to think about Claremore as an option.

Give us an idea of your price range, that might be easier to help you pick a location.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 09:39:24 am »

Any apartment complexes which are coming to mind north of 244 are public housing.

What's your price range?  There are decent apartment complexes west of Yale at 51st which puts you close enough to I-44.  Westport on the river is adjacent to 244/75 and is a nice view.

Something to consider about Catoosa is there's likely to be some snarls on I-44 in the mornings.  Moreso when they finally get around to replacing bridges at 161st and 193rd.  You might want to think about Claremore as an option.

Give us an idea of your price range, that might be easier to help you pick a location.

Better yet, any apartment complexes you consider, call them and ask if they offer Section 8 housing.  If they are reputable and say yes without lying, run.  I think they MUST disclose that to anyone that asks, if I'm not mistaken.  I always asked that question and never had a problem until I lived nearly 8 years at my last apartment at 16th and Memorial and they went in the crapper in a hurry.  I'm sure it was because they started offering Section 8.

I have no issue with people who need assistance for housing if it's legit.  If you're cooking meth, stay the hell away from me.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Hometown
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 11:30:24 am »

Northwest Quadrant of city is generally seen as a hip place to dwell by local bohemian types.  South Tulsa conversely is generally White and Republican. 

North Tulsa is a mixed bag.  Some nice, some not so nice.  There are a couple of nice old brick apartment buildings on Denver just north of downtown.  I suggest you see it in the flesh and drive by at night time before you make any commitments.

Neighborhoods for you to look at are Brady Heights and Owen Park.

I grew up in South Tulsa and I am so glad I located in Northwest Tulsa when I returned here from California.

Everything south of downtown depresses me.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 12:17:47 pm »

Everything south of downtown depresses me.

Even midtown? 

Hometown
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 05:45:24 pm »

Yes.  It's because I can remember before it was redeveloped and the changes have not been good.  Name an intersection and I'll tell you what was there and why it was better.  It only happens to me here because this is my hometown.
ericwbolin
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 07:39:04 pm »

My price range is negotiable. I'm looking for just a 1-bedroom and I mean, I can't afford something that's 1-grand a month, but I can probably go as high as $700 or so. Of course, if I can find a good place at $450 or a "great" place at $750, I'd rather take the cheaper option.

The "hipper" the neighborhood the better, but it's not a necessity either. I'm perfectly content living in a quiet, family-orientated area, too. Either way, I'd definitely prefer living in the city, as opposed to the suburbs. I've also found things in BA and Catoosa, as well, but they're more of fall-back options as I find the city life more appealing.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 07:54:42 pm »

Yes.  It's because I can remember before it was redeveloped and the changes have not been good.  Name an intersection and I'll tell you what was there and why it was better.  It only happens to me here because this is my hometown.

Can you name a change that you have ever liked?

All you do is complain about every change that has ever happen, is happening, or is proposed in Tulsa.  Things didn't freeze in nineteen-ought-eight (we had to say ought because the Kaiser stole all the zeros).  Your criticism loses teeth when it applies to everything.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
buckeye
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 09:48:33 am »

Google search and contact Alves Properties here in Tulsa.  They're an excellent company to rent from and Charlie Alves is constantly in the field working on his properties.  He'll most likely have something in your price range and has buildings near 15th street.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 10:03:48 am »

For $700 a month, you could even rent a decent small bungalow in mid-town.  Nice 1 bedroom? No problem for that kind of money.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hometown
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 11:28:49 am »

Can you name a change that you have ever liked?

All you do is complain about every change that has ever happen, is happening, or is proposed in Tulsa.  Things didn't freeze in nineteen-ought-eight (we had to say ought because the Kaiser stole all the zeros).  Your criticism loses teeth when it applies to everything.

The Oral Roberts University Campus is an important contribution to Modernism in the United States.  I apologize for not having memorized the local architect's name because he is a significant architect.  We were considering buying a home he designed for one of the Roberts in South Tulsa.  I also wrote in an article in the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram that ORU's Praying Hands anticipated Post-Modernism.

I am a born critic Cannon, and I hold Tulsa to a higher standard that most people because I know what Tulsa can be.

I have been lavish in my praise of Tulsa when I hit upon a subject where it is warranted.

Hey SXSW if you are still around I wanted to say that you have authored some of the most insightful remarks about Tulsa I've seen here at TulsaNow.  Thank you.  I know this will be a surprise to you but I was also delighted when you returned after your lengthy absence.

Anyway Eric, Good luck with your apartment search.  There is no place else like Tulsa.  I should know -- I'm Tulsa to the bone.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:32:20 am by Hometown » Logged
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 11:40:05 am »

South Tulsa conversely is generally White and Republican. 

South Tulsa conversely is generally White and Republican, WITH VERY LOW CRIME, BETTER SCHOOLS, LESS TRAFFIC CONGESTION, BETTER SHOPPING, AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, YOU COULD WIND UP LIVING NEAR ME.

You can get to Catoosa via the Creek Turnpike.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 11:48:38 am »

South Tulsa conversely is generally White and Republican, WITH VERY LOW CRIME, BETTER SCHOOLS, LESS TRAFFIC CONGESTION, BETTER SHOPPING, AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, YOU COULD WIND UP LIVING NEAR ME.
You can get to Catoosa via the Creek Turnpike.

Shh, don't tell people
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org