A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2024, 11:20:18 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa's Mayor  (Read 31074 times)
buckeye
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2009, 09:43:40 am »

That reads more like a list of normal mayoral duties to me, apart from the BOK hubcap - which is a great feather in her resume.

That's the rub...  It seems to me that she's wildly self-interested/promotional and if we benefit from her resume building, so be it - but ultimately, she doesn't really care.

Where's the list of innovative solutions or even suggestions for:
crime
education
'new urbanism' / development
infrastructure
etc.

I'm not impressed that she's been able to keep up with standard executive duties.  Show me a list of real goodies and it'll chip away at the prejudice...
waterboy
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2009, 10:02:02 am »

Perhaps many of you expect too much from the mayor of a medium sized city in a solid red state that has experienced economic trauma from high paying job loss the last two decades. A city that enjoys cannibalizing its elected officials and demeaning its public education while screaming about crime and infrastructure till it becomes self fulfilling. I would think just being an effective executive at any level these days is something to brag about. Fix crime, education and new urbanism? Really. I mean, really man.

Building her resume'? With what job objective? Being the ex-mayor of Tulsa ain't no big deal, just another lawyer looking to land in a good firm and provide pr contacts. That comes whether you've been good or not. Savage and Inhofe moved a little farther but no one else I can think of. And she certainly doesn't need the hype.

I suspect nothing will chip away at your prejudice.
buckeye
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2009, 12:58:42 pm »

My expectations aren't out of line - not looking for miraculous, consummate solutions to crime, infrastructure, etc, just some effort - at least!  It's a sad day when congratulations are in order for merely accomplishing the requirements of the job.  In the old days, that was "C" work.  That's what plagues our public schools - now, it's "A" work.

I can't speak to the Mayor's career aspirations, but I've spelled out what it looks like to me.  With enough drive, she could go darn near anywhere from here.  U.S. senator is a bit of a jump from Mayor of a '...medium sized city in a solid red state...' wouldn't you say?

I suspect nothing will chip away at your prejudice.
Well, I honestly hope that's not the case.

Seems like your prejudice focuses on the city.
rwarn17588
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2009, 02:03:16 pm »

Where's the list of innovative solutions or even suggestions for:

education

I think everyone's unsure what the solutions are for education. The problems are complex and multipronged and have vexed conservatives and liberals and radicals and moderates alike.

And it's not like she's any position to do anything anyway. That's not part of her job description. That's the job of the state, administrators, teachers and the local school boards.

And anyone who claims to have a silver-bullet solution is whistling past the graveyard.
waterboy
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2009, 03:22:58 pm »

Yes, I have a prejudice FOR this city. I have lived here going on 6 decades. Thats nearly a dozen mayors and none of them have measured up to what you're asking. I wouldn't want to measure her against any of them but if pressed, I do think she is as effective as the first LaFortune and no more accessible than any of them. I would give her a B+.

Wilbur
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2009, 08:14:20 pm »

That reads more like a list of normal mayoral duties to me, apart from the BOK hubcap - which is a great feather in her resume.

That's the rub...  It seems to me that she's wildly self-interested/promotional and if we benefit from her resume building, so be it - but ultimately, she doesn't really care.

Well put.

The rumor mill puts her getting ready to go to Assistant Secretary of Commerce (working for the Obama admin).
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2009, 08:29:59 am »

Yes, I have a prejudice FOR this city. I have lived here going on 6 decades. Thats nearly a dozen mayors and none of them have measured up to what you're asking. I wouldn't want to measure her against any of them but if pressed, I do think she is as effective as the first LaFortune and no more accessible than any of them. I would give her a B+.

Wow, you really ARE old, aren't you?  Wink

You wear it well, my friend.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rwarn17588
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2009, 10:05:28 am »

The rumor mill puts her getting ready to go to Assistant Secretary of Commerce (working for the Obama admin).

It'll probably go into the circular file with the flock of other unfounded rumors about her (she's running for gov, she's running for Senate, she's running for ...).

I think the rumor mill needs new sources.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2009, 10:52:06 am »

Yeah, well I saw her last night walking back to city hall with at least one of the councilors and a small group of folks and I over heard her say,

"On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!"

I think she's got big plans.
waterboy
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2009, 01:20:01 pm »

Wow, you really ARE old, aren't you?  Wink

You wear it well, my friend.

Thanks. Feeling a bit tattered, in shatters but at least ambulatory.
buckeye
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2009, 01:45:43 pm »

ha-HA!  Validated at last...

Thanks, Townsend!

Wink
joiei
City Father

« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2009, 02:11:54 pm »

I don't consider that as being old. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2009, 02:27:21 pm »

Sha-nuu-bee

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
waterboy
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2009, 06:45:08 pm »

Yeah, well I saw her last night walking back to city hall with at least one of the councilors and a small group of folks and I over heard her say,

"On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!"

That is funny.
waterboy
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2009, 06:46:27 pm »

Sha-nuu-bee

kind of makes you wonder why American Idol doesn't feature their work.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org