A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 11:59:57 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Irked mayor bolts meeting with City Council  (Read 18327 times)
tim huntzinger
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 09:33:24 am »

"If I were...." is easy to say till you're in the position and everyone is targetting you for something And using this board as an example of your tolerance isn't quite analagous. I can read, I trust that our local media is not totally corrupted and no one has stepped forward to dispute the reporting. You seen anyone dispute the account?

Do you ever remember LaFortune being interrupted in such a manner? Inhofe? Savage? Any elected mayor in Tulsa? And I repeat, if she had responded in kind you wouldn't have called her a Princess you would have called her a nag. She loses by your estimation either way.

Well, H2, it is all you have so there.  I am not in the bag for Martinson or have it in for the Mayor either way, but I would remind you that the World is the lead in framing the Mayor as the antagonist.  The article was not framed as Councilor disrupts meeting, or Mayoral candidate harasses Mayor, or anything like that.  She let Martinson get under her skin.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:45:33 am by Know Nothing » Logged
tim huntzinger
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 09:55:38 am »

It's not about thin skin, it's about having a productive conversation. If a person won't let you finish a sentence when they ask you a question, continuing the conversation (or meeting) is useless and a waste of everybody's time.

One lousy interruption? When the responder is being evasive?  That sounds normal? Something else was going on is what it sounds like to me.  But then I am a stupid head.
waterboy
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 11:18:48 am »

One lousy interruption? When the responder is being evasive?  That sounds normal? Something else was going on is what it sounds like to me.  But then I am a stupid head.

Evasive and normal are not easily determined. Well, lets put it this way. If a speaker who signed up for the Council meeting bluntly interrupted a councilor and then smart talked back to them when they objected to his style, do you think the councillors would be receptive to the speaker? Or do you think they would admonish him as to decorum? Why then would a mayor have to endure such treatment by a councilor?

Simple questions.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 11:28:28 am »

I've been in this situation before so I can identify with the mayor. I however did not have the option to walk out of the meeting where i was being badgered by a no manners blow hard. It took every ounce of self control not to put them in their place or not to get angry.

Based on the story in the paper I think the mayor handled the situation as politely as she could and she got out before she lost her cool.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 11:29:32 am »

Every time I've ever met Martinson (I met him at the BOK Center grand opening and at Ikes anniversary party) he came across as an obnoxious doosh.  This isn't surprising to me in the least.

That's putting it nicely.  Pick (oops left out the "r") is more like it.  Ask him sometime about why he thought his $2 billion street package was the only solution and watch him avoid a straight answer.  Call him on it and he gets real pissy.  He hates Mayor Taylor and I think doesn't show much open-mindedness in dealing with her.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 11:31:38 am »

Evasive and normal are not easily determined. Well, lets put it this way. If a speaker who signed up for the Council meeting bluntly interrupted a councilor and then smart talked back to them when they objected to his style, do you think the councillors would be receptive to the speaker? Or do you think they would admonish him as to decorum? Why then would a mayor have to endure such treatment by a councilor?

Simple questions.

Exactly Waterboy.  Try that treatment with Martinson and see what that hot-head does. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
tim huntzinger
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 11:32:35 am »

Simple questions.

Not sure if that is a good analogy.  I know nothing.  Like who is chairing the meetings.  If a speaker was disruptive in the meeting - a public meeting - I am sure we would just tase him, bro and get on with it.

I am not going after the Mayor yet.  The paper said she was upset, not me.  Sounds like Martinson has some issues, too bad the Mayor is not deft enough to make that the story instead of her own pissantedness.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 11:34:18 am »

I know nothing.  

tim huntzinger
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 11:36:56 am »

Niiiiiiiiice! I love you, man!!

Wilbur
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 12:06:38 pm »

Wasn't the first time she's stormed out of some meeting, and won't be the last.
DowntownNow
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 12:51:06 pm »

Okay...maybe a show of hands as to has actually seen the meeting that was at 8:00 yesterday morning or replayed at 9:00 last night? 

I have alsready spoken to several people that watched, none were too amused by either party but did respect Martinson for apparently calling the Mayor to task for avoiding a direct answer.  This would not be the first time.  I dont know this for fact, I will watch tonight and reply after i have witnessed it for myself. 

If the Mayor was attempting to provide a direct answer, then I will say Martinson was wrong.  I know Bill Martinson, I have both admired and condemned his work on the council but will go so far as to say that no two people always agree on everything, if we did, it would be a much simpler world. 

To publicly attack him as being a dude without having walked in his shoes, sat in his meetings, seen the information he has simply because of his views is...well, pathetic.  Just say you dont agree with the man and leave it at that.  Or provide an example as to why he is wrong for doing something or asking questions. 

BTW I have been told that Martinson may not be running...but either way, its speculation.  Do we base today's events on tomorrow's speculation?

This issue is a legitimate cause for concern and therefore questioning...there is no better forum than a publicly televised meeting in which to ask the question and expect a direct answer so that as many may know for fact. 
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 12:53:59 pm »

Okay...maybe a show of hands as to has actually seen the meeting that was at 8:00 yesterday morning or replayed at 9:00 last night? 

I have alsready spoken to several people that watched, none were too amused by either party but did respect Martinson for apparently calling the Mayor to task for avoiding a direct answer.  This would not be the first time.  I dont know this for fact, I will watch tonight and reply after i have witnessed it for myself. 

If the Mayor was attempting to provide a direct answer, then I will say Martinson was wrong.  I know Bill Martinson, I have both admired and condemned his work on the council but will go so far as to say that no two people always agree on everything, if we did, it would be a much simpler world. 

To publicly attack him as being a dude without having walked in his shoes, sat in his meetings, seen the information he has simply because of his views is...well, pathetic.  Just say you dont agree with the man and leave it at that.  Or provide an example as to why he is wrong for doing something or asking questions. 

BTW I have been told that Martinson may not be running...but either way, its speculation.  Do we base today's events on tomorrow's speculation?

This issue is a legitimate cause for concern and therefore questioning...there is no better forum than a publicly televised meeting in which to ask the question and expect a direct answer so that as many may know for fact. 

We will be waiting on pins and needles for your latest post trashing the mayor.
waterboy
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 01:01:28 pm »

Couldn't disagree more. You see the critical point as being her not answering his question. Doesn't matter to me. Shouldn't matter at all. Being civil and understanding your role as a servant of the people so that constructive work can be accomplished is the critical point.

Poor baby. He didn't get an answer, couldn't understand the nuanced answer or didn't like the answer, so he plays the boorish talk show host. Shows a lack of sophistication on his part. There were avenues he could use, including the media and forums like this to complain about his questions being unanswered. Or, he could keep asking it in different ways till he got some satisfaction like congressman do. But no, he grandstanded.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 01:03:14 pm »

If you mean publicly attack him for being a 'doosh' and walking a mile in his shoes, Martinson is a businessman and first and foremost should know that first impressions mean EVERYTHING.  In this case, the second impression I got was about as 'dooshy' as the first.;

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 01:10:16 pm »

M'kay, just like the objectivity you show for the Mayor right?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org