A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2024, 05:23:49 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dfest is upon us...  (Read 3662 times)
mookie
« on: July 18, 2009, 07:33:09 am »

One week to go!!!!  Should be the best year yet.  Excitement is in the air...downtown Tulsa is about to come alive.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 07:48:47 am »

Cant wait to go this year, will be fun.  Cool

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
kylieosu
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 09:35:06 am »

I've very excited too. Come on, Friday!!!
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 10:14:09 am »

I am surprised at the success of Dfest. Especially after Afest, Bfest and Cfest sucked so much!

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gold
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 12:06:14 am »

Friday: Citizen Cope, Gogol Bordello, Black Crowes
Saturday: Rooney, Cool Kids, Blue October, Gringo Starr, and Cake

Gogol Bordello was everything they were supposed to be.  Great energy.  Very fun time.  The Crowes were good, too.

Rooney is worth skipping.  The Cool Kids seemed to have people going, but I wasn't impressed.  Blue October made me want to cut myself.  Grino Starr is actually pretty good.  Cake was a terrible, terrible choice for Saturday night's finale.

We left Cake early.  I like their music and respect them; I think they are 10 years past their prime.  They aren't the sort of band that makes people want to boogey.  People were leaving three songs in.  We stayed about seven songs, after the singer made some weird rant about people singing along.

Lines were bad this year.  They could have re-named it "Line-fest."  Perhaps in the future they could wand people further away and not make you go through security every single time you walk back to a stage.

I like this event.  It's good for Tulsa.  I'm not sure it was better this year.

kylieosu
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 07:07:27 am »

Friday: Citizen Cope, Gogol Bordello, Black Crowes
Saturday: Rooney, Cool Kids, Blue October, Gringo Starr, and Cake

Gogol Bordello was everything they were supposed to be.  Great energy.  Very fun time.  The Crowes were good, too.

Rooney is worth skipping.  The Cool Kids seemed to have people going, but I wasn't impressed.  Blue October made me want to cut myself.  Grino Starr is actually pretty good.  Cake was a terrible, terrible choice for Saturday night's finale.

We left Cake early.  I like their music and respect them; I think they are 10 years past their prime.  They aren't the sort of band that makes people want to boogey.  People were leaving three songs in.  We stayed about seven songs, after the singer made some weird rant about people singing along.

Lines were bad this year.  They could have re-named it "Line-fest."  Perhaps in the future they could wand people further away and not make you go through security every single time you walk back to a stage.

I like this event.  It's good for Tulsa.  I'm not sure it was better this year.

I totally agree with your sentiments. I love Dfest too, but the past two years were a lot more enjoyable for me than this year's festivities. The lines were bad and the humidity was awful (not that they can control that, of course)...That being said, I am glad that so many people came out to support it once again. I was surprised how many people showed up for Gogol Bordello...it was a great show. I left early on Saturday so I didn't catch Cake.  I did catch a couple of shows from bands I hadn't heard before and loved (Gentleman Auction House, Ozomatli) and I immediately went home and got their albums on iTunes, so that was worth the experience for me.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 08:02:15 am »

I did catch a couple of shows from bands I hadn't heard before and loved (Gentleman Auction House, Ozomatli) and I immediately went home and got their albums on iTunes, so that was worth the experience for me.

I thought Ozomatli was great as well.

Power is nothing till you use it.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 08:18:00 am »

Dfest was good times.  The Crowes put on a good "jam" kind of show.  I admit to being disappointed that they didn't play more of their hits, but I imagine it gets old for them.

Gogol Bordello was awesome.  Bought their album (Amazon is non DRM!).  A few other bands were really good, a few not-so much.

Overall I had a great time.  I agree that the lines were a bit over burdensome.  Particularly if you bought tickets ahead of time and had to redeem them for your wrist band, crazy long line.  Getting into the main stage areas wasn't that big of a deal... if you only entered once.  But given the nature of the event you come and go a number of times, so it was a pain.

I imagine they will have a better system in place next time.

Also, worth noting that in the crowd of ~60,000 (or whatever) I didn't see any fights.  Only saw a few people "too drunk" and only saw 2 people get in trouble with the cops.  For an event this size focusing on a youth audience the crowd was very well behaved.

And a good time was had by all.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 08:25:35 am »

I actually thought it was WAY less hot and humid this year than last year. Then again, I was about 40 pounds heavier last year, so that may have played into it. Anyway, my line up was as follows:

Friday:
  • Ptiaradactyle
  • Heady P
  • (left to see Wicked)
  • was going to see Negative Space but I never saw them show, so went and saw Elliot Poston
  • DJ Rekha

Saturday:
  • Jacob Abelo
  • Mates of State
  • Recorder
  • Oblio
  • Love In October

---Robert
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org