A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 03:28:48 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: South Tulsa Bridge Update  (Read 69139 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2012, 01:26:00 pm »

I would think a bridge running straight north and south and connecting to Delaware would be cheaper than what they are trying to do.

Look at the map and draw the red line straight north.

Yes, it would make for a longer bridge. 

I'm guessing that there are developers wanting the bridge to lead to 121st through the "proposed street".
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2012, 02:50:16 pm »

I've been surprised Bixby's announcement nearly a month ago that it would likely use its V2 money to build a bridge had generated so little attention.  After the pitched battles over this bridge in the past, Bixby's announcement seemed like a bad strategic move.  Why risk south Tulsa voter backlash - just wait until after the election.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2012, 08:24:53 pm »

I would think a bridge running straight north and south and connecting to Delaware would be cheaper than what they are trying to do.

I've thought the exact same thing. It will never be considered though as it makes way too much sense.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2012, 10:12:50 pm »

Since the bridge would most likely be at a higher elevation than the connecting roads, going straight north to Delaware would not leave room for the connections. 

How about:
Cross the river perpendicular as planned.  Forget the cloverleaf, although that may be the allowance for elevation change.  Make the main path curve west toward the Delaware/121st curve with a side path toward Yale.  Delaware, Yale, and or 121st would need to be widened and should be part of any bridge project. 

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2012, 06:48:11 am »

Since the bridge would most likely be at a higher elevation than the connecting roads, going straight north to Delaware would not leave room for the connections. 

How about:
Cross the river perpendicular as planned.  Forget the cloverleaf, although that may be the allowance for elevation change.  Make the main path curve west toward the Delaware/121st curve with a side path toward Yale.  Delaware, Yale, and or 121st would need to be widened and should be part of any bridge project. 

I've been told Yale is being widened.  I've seen the crews out there putting flags up.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2012, 09:12:04 am »

Mayoral candidate criticizes park delay due to Vision2 proposal

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=334&articleid=20121102_334_0_Delayo923361

Delay of a long-planned south Tulsa park because of a possible bridge that would be funded in part by Vision2 shows the need to vote against the tax package, mayoral candidate Bill Christiansen said.

“I am not opposed to visioning and planning for our needs as we get closer to the expiration of Vision 2025,” he said in a press release issued late Thursday night.

“I am proposing a thorough, transparent, and inclusive vision process with dialogue with the citizens of Tulsa to see what we need and how to accomplish those needs.”

The $748.8 million Vision2 package’s fate will be decided Tuesday by Tulsa County voters.

Christiansen, the only announced candidate so far in Tulsa’s 2013 mayoral race, served on the council from 2002 until 2011 and spent many years trying to make the Grace K. Cousins Park a reality.

Charles Cousins conceived of the park decades ago as a tribute to his wife, Grace Cousins.

The Cousins family donated 10 acres at the southwest corner of 121st and Yale to the city Park and Recreation Department in 1998, with the stipulation that it remain a conservation area and that the family be involved in its design.

A few years ago, the city bought 35 more acres bounded by 121st Street, Yale Avenue and the Arkansas River for $950,000 with the intention of eventually turning the entire site into a park.

As planned, Cousins Park would be a combination nature center, nature preserve and pioneer park operated with assistance from the Oxley Nature Center Association.

Before he left the council, Christiansen helped secure $244,375 from the city for the first phase of the project, with an additional $2.2 million to be raised privately for subsequent phases.

But the design work was put on hold due to a Bixby proposal for a toll bridge across the Arkansas River.

The bridge, funded in part by Bixby’s $11.3 million share of Vision2 quality-of-life dollars, would land just south of the park, at about 124th Street, and include an extension of South Delaware Avenue through Cousins Park to 121st Street.

Part of what bothers him about Vision2, Christiansen said, is the loose nature of the projects included and their impact.

Proposition 2 of the package includes $361.7 million quality-of-life projects but none are specified on the ballot, he said.

“Let’s create a better vision for Tulsa,” Christiansen said. “We have the time to do it right, we may not have the chance to do it over.”

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=334&articleid=20121102_334_0_Delayo923361
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2014, 12:31:51 pm »

So I heard the Creeks were donating land between Sheridan and Yale for the bridge.  (KWGS radio blurb)

Looks like they're getting the band back together.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:45:34 pm by Townsend » Logged
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2014, 12:40:46 pm »

I was under the impression the city of Tulsa can refuse connection to it's streets from the bridge if it's built.

Did I misunderstand?

I think the City of Tulsa could make the connection a toll. Make about twenty feet of concrete a toll road to get to the toll bridge.

Heck, it could pay for itself and generate money for other roads.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2014, 01:50:30 pm »

Will they build the Butterfly Park that got poo pooed a while back?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2014, 03:39:13 pm »

So I heard the Creeks were donating land between Sheridan and Yale for the bridge.  (KWGS radio blurb)

I think the Creek Nation recently placed the land it acquired in the area in trust with the Bureau of Indian Affairs.  This is step one in the process.
davideinstein
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2014, 04:12:52 pm »

An amphitheater will be cool.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2014, 10:15:46 pm »

They moved it into a trust. What's interesting is that when they purchased the land, it sounded like the plans were definitely for a bridge but now they say they are "exploring options" for the land.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2014, 10:49:42 pm »

Bring on the bridge...

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2014, 11:09:21 pm »

Bring on the bridge...

I agree but Yale does need to be widened to 4 lanes to the Turnpike.  Make it part of the deal to build the bridge.  I think I remember that finishing 169 from 71st to Memorial and keeping it a toll free road was part of the deal for the Creek Turnpike.

I think a bridge will bring/take Bixby shopping dollars to Tulsa.  Bring if you live in Tulsa. Take if you live in Bixby.  Not building a bridge practically guarantees commercial development south of the river that may not happen if there is a bridge.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2014, 08:09:45 am »

I agree but Yale does need to be widened to 4 lanes to the Turnpike.  Make it part of the deal to build the bridge.  I think I remember that finishing 169 from 71st to Memorial and keeping it a toll free road was part of the deal for the Creek Turnpike.

I think a bridge will bring/take Bixby shopping dollars to Tulsa.  Bring if you live in Tulsa. Take if you live in Bixby.  Not building a bridge practically guarantees commercial development south of the river that may not happen if there is a bridge.

The proposal to widen Yale Ave is exactly what started all of the fuss.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org