A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 04:29:01 pm
Poll
Question: What are North Tulsan's doing to help themselves?
Waiting - 4 (40%)
Trying Hard - 1 (10%)
Reasearching - 0 (0%)
Running Away - 5 (50%)
Creating an Urban Renissance? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North Tulsa what is going on?  (Read 21647 times)
FOTD
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 02:23:12 pm »

No we aren't.  I'm a white hater, remember?

You mean white hatter...as in good guys.

You pale in comparison to those Tulsans that came before with their attitudes towards "coloreds" creating a continual no growth situation. The days may be over where the North siders can't see for looking.

But let's be realistic. The best schools and the best roads can be found in near North Tulsa and great access to the suburbs. Maybe if they froze the faculty at the schools and made neighborhood boundaries for attendance there then we would see a new stonger demographic evolve.

FOTD guesses we could make congregations and 5013c's free of property taxes only should they locate to North Tulsa. That's the ticket...a tax free zone. Man, that would really confuse a lot of Wingnutians.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:24:40 pm by FOTD » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 02:44:53 pm »

FOTD guesses we could make congregations and 5013c's free of property taxes only should they locate to North Tulsa. That's the ticket...a tax free zone. Man, that would really confuse a lot of Wingnutians.

No sh!t.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 03:07:38 pm »

ok you to lets stay on course!!  Who are the community leaders on the north side and what churches are working together to make a difference?
XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 03:09:35 pm »

Yes. You are correct. The cutting off of North Tulsa from the rest of our city by I-244 did not work. Government failed. "They" still have a problem....even though most of the deciders are now dead. Let's see, the government was in on the riot too. And the government failed to deliver equal opportunity through public schools. And....

Churchianity will not solve a century of bad government agent decisions which divorced North Tulsa from the rest of our community. If we had invested hundreds of millions of dollars back into this area rather than Owasso, Sand Springs, Jenks and Bixby, you would have seen improvement.

It's not government that's the problem. It's the engineers of our government that seem to be the problem...

PRIDE? This ain't no football team bozoXEALS for THRILLS. Keep writing so we can all watch your "innocence" unfold.

Keep writing so we can all watch your "innocence" unfold.......................What does this mean?
FOTD
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 03:24:12 pm »

ok you to lets stay on course!!  Who are the community leaders on the north side and what churches are working together to make a difference?

DUDE! We are on course. You need to take the course. Change in North Tulsa will not occur from within their ranks....it will take all our community. What the heck is left of the north side community? Get it? 

FOTD's suggestions are from the heart. Before he descends to hell he hopes to see a vibrant North side. His innocence was never hung up on the cross of our religiocity nor lost on the decisions of our communal intolerance.

It means you are looking for some righteous solution rather than understanding the nature of the problem.
XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 08:15:42 pm »

DUDE! We are on course. You need to take the course. Change in North Tulsa will not occur from within their ranks....it will take all our community. What the heck is left of the north side community? Get it? 

FOTD's suggestions are from the heart. Before he descends to hell he hopes to see a vibrant North side. His innocence was never hung up on the cross of our religiocity nor lost on the decisions of our communal intolerance.

It means you are looking for some righteous solution rather than understanding the nature of the problem.

I'm not looking for a righteous solution!!

So.....Please express what it takes to see North Tulsa Function like a vibrant, safe, productive city should.
FOTD
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 08:22:16 pm »

I'm not looking for a righteous solution!!

So.....Please express what it takes to see North Tulsa Function like a vibrant, safe, productive city should.

Inclusion backed up by big bucks....did you not read my post about transportation and education and tax incentives?

Like going around in circles with a child, XT. Get some sack.

Now, what are your ideas? Or were you just being a closet religious freak?
XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 09:07:10 am »

I think that in some way.  There needs to be a movement.  An Urban renascence.  Now I only have experience in ideas.  I have never produced results outside of organizeing my family on spring cleaning day!  lol

I don't have the answer's but I am frustrated because I know that things could be better. 

My idea is getting the community to organize and create  programs that are teaching the adults education on budgeting, parenting, entrepernuership, and more.  I think that it would be great for a media company to pick up on these things and make a weekly show, showing what's going on.  This brings accountability to the non-profits and is an incentive to getting them to help.

what programs do you think that would be most effective when it comes to turning this situation areound?  Most programs stop as you become a teenager.  I just read an article today that Bill Gates is now going after the youth oriented tv programs to tell kids to finish school.

There is a wonderful ofpportunity for the kids here.  If they finish school with a c average then they can go to tcc for free for a period.

I've seen so many athletes  gifted athlete's have to drop a sport because of their grades.  Or go to college and is arrested for drug charges or something stupid because of their lack of understanding how much of a step back that life style will take them. if we can set up a program that teaches these kids their studies so that they can stay in sports then I think that would be helpful.

Their are many entrepreneurial people running around trying to start something but are cluless to what the next step is.  If succesful business people could spend time answering question teaching how to do a business plan or even an incubator program available then that would be helpful

Fyi...  The greenwood culture business program is a pathetic suggestion!!!

In the early 1900's their where many black millionaire's!  Wow. so things would have been different.

How do we put these things together to get the community to get involved? 
XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 09:13:34 am »

One of the nation's worst acts of racial violence—the Tulsa Race Riot—occurred there on June 1, 1921, when 35 square blocks of homes and businesses were torched by mobs of angry whites.
The riot began because of an alleged assault of a white woman, Sarah Page, by an African American man, Dick Rowland. This incident produced even more hatred between the whites and the blacks even though there was no proof of the assault. The case was simply a white woman’s word against a black man’s word. The Tulsa Tribune got word of the incident and published the story in the paper on May 31, 1921. Shortly after the newspaper article surfaced, there was news that a white lynch mob was going to take matters into its own hands and kill Dick Rowland. [5]
African American men began to arm themselves and join forces in order to protect Dick Rowland; however, this action prompted white men to arm themselves and confront the group of African American men. There was an argument in which a white man tried to take a gun from a black man, and the gun fired a bullet up into the sky. This incident promoted many others to fire their guns, and the violence erupted on the evening of May 31, 1921. Whites flooded into the Greenwood district and destroyed the businesses and homes of African American residents. No one was exempt to the violence of the white mobs; men, women, and even children were killed by the mobs.
Troops were deployed on the afternoon of June 1st, but by that time there was not much left of the once thriving Greenwood district. Over 600 successful businesses were lost. Among these were 21 churches, 21 restaurants, 30 grocery stores and two movie theaters, plus a hospital, a bank, a post office, libraries, schools, law offices, a half-dozen private airplanes and even a bus system.[7] Property damage totaled $1.5 million (1921).[7] Although the official death toll claimed that 26 blacks and 13 whites died during the fighting, most estimates are considerably higher. At the time of the riot, the American Red Cross listed 8,624 persons in need of assistance, in excess of 1,000 homes and businesses destroyed, and the delivery of several stillborn infants.[5]
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 09:22:27 am »

XFT, your comment on free tuition at TCC brought to mind some things:  There's certainly opportunities for people from any segment of Tulsa if they decide to pursue and take advantage of it.

At times I grow frustrated and tired of people like Jack Henderson who complain that north Tulsans always get the shaft.  So long as people wait around for a solution to come to them, one may never arrive.  If someone goes out and seeks a solution, they have a better chance of getting one.  There's plenty of opportunities for individuals who live in north Tulsa. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 09:43:25 am »

One of the nation's worst acts of racial violence—the Tulsa Race Riot—occurred there on June 1, 1921, when 35 square blocks of homes and businesses were torched by mobs of angry whites.
The riot began because of an alleged assault of a white woman, Sarah Page, by an African American man, Dick Rowland. This incident produced even more hatred between the whites and the blacks even though there was no proof of the assault. The case was simply a white woman’s word against a black man’s word. The Tulsa Tribune got word of the incident and published the story in the paper on May 31, 1921. Shortly after the newspaper article surfaced, there was news that a white lynch mob was going to take matters into its own hands and kill Dick Rowland. [5]
African American men began to arm themselves and join forces in order to protect Dick Rowland; however, this action prompted white men to arm themselves and confront the group of African American men. There was an argument in which a white man tried to take a gun from a black man, and the gun fired a bullet up into the sky. This incident promoted many others to fire their guns, and the violence erupted on the evening of May 31, 1921. Whites flooded into the Greenwood district and destroyed the businesses and homes of African American residents. No one was exempt to the violence of the white mobs; men, women, and even children were killed by the mobs.
Troops were deployed on the afternoon of June 1st, but by that time there was not much left of the once thriving Greenwood district. Over 600 successful businesses were lost. Among these were 21 churches, 21 restaurants, 30 grocery stores and two movie theaters, plus a hospital, a bank, a post office, libraries, schools, law offices, a half-dozen private airplanes and even a bus system.[7] Property damage totaled $1.5 million (1921).[7] Although the official death toll claimed that 26 blacks and 13 whites died during the fighting, most estimates are considerably higher. At the time of the riot, the American Red Cross listed 8,624 persons in need of assistance, in excess of 1,000 homes and businesses destroyed, and the delivery of several stillborn infants.[5]

Nice Wikipedia copy/paste....least you could do was leave the link.

Roll Eyes

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2009, 10:09:19 am »

Roll Eyes

Awww smile, is Arnett back?

XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 01:46:57 pm »

XFT, your comment on free tuition at TCC brought to mind some things:  There's certainly opportunities for people from any segment of Tulsa if they decide to pursue and take advantage of it.

At times I grow frustrated and tired of people like Jack Henderson who complain that north Tulsans always get the shaft.  So long as people wait around for a solution to come to them, one may never arrive.  If someone goes out and seeks a solution, they have a better chance of getting one.  There's plenty of opportunities for individuals who live in north Tulsa. 

I'm seeking understanding of how to prepare and present a solution
XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 01:47:47 pm »

Roll Eyes

sorry

thanks for chiming in.... Huh
XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2009, 02:05:41 pm »

What do you think could create an Urban Renaissance in North Tulsa?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org