A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 04:30:09 pm
Poll
Question: What are North Tulsan's doing to help themselves?
Waiting - 4 (40%)
Trying Hard - 1 (10%)
Reasearching - 0 (0%)
Running Away - 5 (50%)
Creating an Urban Renissance? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North Tulsa what is going on?  (Read 21648 times)
FOTD
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2009, 02:33:28 pm »

What do you think could create an Urban Renaissance in North Tulsa?

$$300-900 million
XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2009, 02:35:33 pm »

$$300-900 million

? Could you elaborate please?
FOTD
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2009, 02:47:10 pm »

Field of Dreams theory...you draw the picture.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2009, 02:51:20 pm »

I would encourage the local, state, and federal governments avoid putting further low-income housing projects in North Tulsa. That would help.

---Robert
XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2009, 03:13:37 pm »

Field of Dreams theory...you draw the picture.

That's what Taylor and Lafortune says about down town.  It seems to work i think?
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2009, 03:21:23 pm »

That's what Taylor and Lafortune says about down town.  It seems to work i think?

A strong downtown would be very beneficial for North Tulsa. Additionally, as nearly every other city in North America and globally has shown, a strong downtown is beneficial for an entire city.

Therefore, I can more easily support larger spending in Downtown Tulsa than I can in North Tulsa.

---Robert
XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2009, 03:22:39 pm »

A strong downtown would be very beneficial for North Tulsa. Additionally, as nearly every other city in North America and globally has shown, a strong downtown is beneficial for an entire city.

Therefore, I can more easily support larger spending in Downtown Tulsa than I can in North Tulsa.

how does it help North Tulsa?  The opinion is drug's, murder, and gangs
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2009, 03:32:56 pm »

how does it help North Tulsa?  The opinion is drug's, murder, and gangs
Correct, but opinion doesn't completely correlate with reality. As people spend time in and around North Tulsa, you begin to realize that the crime and general undesirable areas do not include ALL of north Tulsa. Immediately north of downtown is Brady Heights, a neighborhood that has made tremendous improvements over the years to revitalize itself. Same with Crosbie Heights, Owen Park, etc.

Additionally, as Downtown improves its standing as a mixed-use neighborhood, the surrounding neighborhoods can take advantage of goods and services provided.

I wish I had a little more time to reply, but unfortunately, I'm at work.

---Robert
XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2009, 03:37:38 pm »

Correct, but opinion doesn't completely correlate with reality. As people spend time in and around North Tulsa, you begin to realize that the crime and general undesirable areas do not include ALL of north Tulsa. Immediately north of downtown is Brady Heights, a neighborhood that has made tremendous improvements over the years to revitalize itself. Same with Crosbie Heights, Owen Park, etc.

Additionally, as Downtown improves its standing as a mixed-use neighborhood, the surrounding neighborhoods can take advantage of goods and services provided.

I wish I had a little more time to reply, but unfortunately, I'm at work.

thanks.

what do u think that the community leaders can do to help the moral in the area and bring more education to those that do not qualify for the tcc free school program. Due to age or having kids
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 03:39:14 pm by XEALS for THRILLS » Logged
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2009, 03:39:10 pm »

thanks.

what do u think that the community leaders can do to help the moral in the area?
The morals or the morale?

---Robert
XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2009, 03:40:43 pm »

The morals or the morale?

morale
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2009, 04:06:24 pm »

I'd love to see more news coverage on the positive developments in North Tulsa. The same could be said for East Tulsa and West Tulsa. About the only news I hear about those areas of town are about drugs or violence, and little-to-nothing about any of the neighborhoods that are turning themselves around. It used to be that way regarding Downtown as well, but a concerted effort to also discuss the positive developments (things such as hotel and retail openings, new parks, events, and special interest pieces) has really helped improve the morale of citizens who work, live, and play in or around the downtown area.

There are groups in North Tulsa who could help lead this charge of helping improve the image of the area. You mentioned the churches, but there is also the Greenwood Chamber of Commerce, North Tulsa Development Council, city-wide media sources such as television and print news. All of these should play in active role in not only presenting the negatives, but also the positives. I realize that is easier said than done (I've worked in publishing before, and people seem to want to read negative news more than positive). And, for the most part, they have been stepping up to the plate more recently than they have in the past. I've been starting to see classes, neighborhood meetings, town hall forums, and roundtable discussions pop up in North Tulsa.
Granted, the fruits of this current pressure to improve North Tulsa will take many years, just as it has for midtown and Downtown. It's hard to wait, because we want all of the issues to be solved immediately and simply, but unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

---Robert
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2009, 04:09:45 pm »

The city councilman might speak up about some positives periodically.

Sorry to just toss this out there but the last thing I remember hearing from him is too many people will be growing MJ in the community gardens.

Please correct me if I've just missed him.
FOTD
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2009, 04:13:13 pm »

The city councilman might speak up about some positives periodically.

Sorry to just toss this out there but the last thing I remember hearing from him is too many people will be growing MJ in the community gardens.

Please correct me if I've just missed him.

So. The thinking is communal? Create a Utopian society there? Make bikes, grow organic, produce environmental friendly products, and no religion....etc.
XEALS for THRILLS
Activist

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2009, 06:15:16 pm »

So. The thinking is communal? Create a Utopian society there? Make bikes, grow organic, produce environmental friendly products, and no religion....etc.

How realistic is that idea?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org