A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 04:21:34 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old City Hall  (Read 7833 times)
dbacks fan
« on: September 21, 2009, 10:08:22 am »

Any more news on this? http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=11144195

Isounds like the economy has investors nervous about buying it. Also, is there an issue with asbestos in the building? I can't remember if when it was built in the late 60's if they had quit using it.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 10:20:35 am »

Mid '70's is where you see asbestos phased out.  With the recent re-opening of the Mayo and the Courtyard by Marriott project, I doubt anyone will be in a hurry to build another hotel for a few years yet.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 10:27:11 am »

I don't see the old city hall changing into anything else for a long time to come. As interest in downtown grows we will see existing structures rehabilitated to new use first mixed in with growing ground up construction in already empty spaces and then finally demolition/new construction. I also think that the City will need to include changes to the existing plaza to entice anyone to build here.
dbacks fan
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 11:05:01 am »

I don't see the old city hall changing into anything else for a long time to come. As interest in downtown grows we will see existing structures rehabilitated to new use first mixed in with growing ground up construction in already empty spaces and then finally demolition/new construction. I also think that the City will need to include changes to the existing plaza to entice anyone to build here.

I agree that it won't be changing hands any time soon. I spent a lot of time during the 80's delivering supplies to the city in this building, and I think remodeling the interior of the building would be more than bring it down and building something new, but then again with the way it's tied to the above and below ground parking and the plaza level it would be a challenge to tear it down. I don't think you coudl implode it without risking damage to the other buildings.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 11:21:09 am »

I took this from the mayo.  The plaza has so much untapped potential, but I would be hard pressed to figure out a way to get the building to look decent.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 11:29:06 am »

Everybody start saving change. Let's buy it together and make it the world headquarters of TulsaNow.

Power is nothing till you use it.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 11:40:00 am »

I think it's funny that the empty fountain is painted blue.

Perhaps that's the next step for our inspiring "fountain" at 5th and Main?
dbacks fan
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 11:58:40 am »

I think it's funny that the empty fountain is painted blue.

Perhaps that's the next step for our inspiring "fountain" at 5th and Main?

Other than rainfall, I don't remember when it had water in it. In the 70's it was just empty, not even paitned to look like there was water in it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 01:04:43 pm »

Old City Hall has to be one of the most pathetically boring and ugly multi-story buildings I've ever seen. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 01:23:15 pm »

Old City Hall has to be one of the most pathetically boring and ugly multi-story buildings I've ever seen. 

Which is sad, because I can think of some fun/funky things to do to the building. But I wouldn't do any of those things given the building's current location and nearby tenants.

---Robert
dbacks fan
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 01:37:20 pm »

Which is sad, because I can think of some fun/funky things to do to the building. But I wouldn't do any of those things given the building's current location and nearby tenants.

Does TPD still have thier central booking down there, or do they just process and then take them over to the new count jail? They also abandoned the Council Chamber as well, am I correct? I would have a tough time staying in a hotel right next to the county courthose, and to turn it into housing, for the homeless or anyone else the cost would be imense to plumb the place for some form a residental. (Yes I know that it would cost similar for hotel space I think the ROI on hotel would be faster than residential.)
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 02:20:21 pm »

As of about five years, TPD used David L Moss for booking.  I don't know if they still do now that the Sheriffs Department took it back over, but I haven't seen any booking area in the municiple building.  And yes, the council moved to the Ice Cube as well.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 03:35:46 pm »

Eh, tear it and the library* down and expand the convention center with a new 'convention hotel' at the corner of 4th & Denver.  While you're at it tear down the federal building* across the street and build a park/plaza there in front of the new hotel and BOK Center.  I'm an advocate for saving buildings, don't get me wrong, but some just don't deserve to be saved i.e. City Hall, Library, the Fed. Building, Abundant Life, etc.  I DO hope the YMCA is saved though, and I don't mind the other buildings in the 'civic center' complex.

* if replacements are planned and will be located within downtown
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 03:39:30 pm by SXSW » Logged

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 08:39:15 am »

+1 SXSW.

The old city hall will be torn, it's just a matter of time.  While it could have been utilized at one point, the "deferred maintenance" (read: neglect) as well as the deteriorated facade (read: it's ugly) has pretty well doomed it.  The Civic Center area was an interesting idea that was half-donkey executed and then abandoned long before now.  If the buildings matched and the area was maintained it could be an architectural asset, a space saver, and a public space.  As it stands it's a decaying eye soar.

The library tries very hard, but it is being dragged down by the area it is in.  Parking is intimidating for many people.  It is a homeless refuge many days.  And of course there is no green space or anything else nearby really.  A downtown library is essential IMHO, keep this one or move it.  Either way is fine with me as a library is an asset to any area it is in.

The Federal Building is on the list of ones to be replaced.  It is largely abandoned now due to the new postal facility on the outskirts of town.  I trust no one will argue that this building is worth saving as a fine example of Nouveau fortress or some such crap.  It's ugly, inefficient, and under utilized.  The best we can hope for is for federal funding to come through and the city to make a land swap, OR, if we could get the Feds to utilize a dying building instead.  Now that the post office there is just a regular post office there is no reason they need a sprawling facility like that.

The area could have been cool as it was laid out.  It could be again.  But currently it's an eye soar.   No one's moving into the old city hall.

Hell, for that matter, no one has even moved into the vacant land across from the BOK Center.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
MichaelBates
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 11:02:20 am »

Isn't the Federal Building still home to Federal courts?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org